from what I can see neither rocm-opencl nor amdgpu-pro-opencl can drive it.

Rather spoils the point of upgrading to it.

Peter.
Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 30 August 2021 16:08:27 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Does anyone know whether AMD intend to make their navi cards usable with
> opencl under Linux? I have a Radeon Pro W5500, which is a navi 14 card, and
> from what I can see neither rocm-opencl nor amdgpu-pro-opencl can drive it.
>
> Rather spoils the point of upgrading to it.

AMD have published Linux drivers on their website, but in RPM and .deb
formats. I tried one anyway, but installation stops immediately with
'unsupported OS'. Not surprising, of course, but is there any way of porting
and archive full of .debs so that it can be used in Gentoo?

Peter.
Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
>On Monday, 30 August 2021 16:08:27 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Does anyone know whether AMD intend to make their navi cards usable with
>> opencl under Linux? I have a Radeon Pro W5500, which is a navi 14 card, and
>> from what I can see neither rocm-opencl nor amdgpu-pro-opencl can drive it.
>>
>> Rather spoils the point of upgrading to it.
>
>AMD have published Linux drivers on their website, but in RPM and .deb
>formats. I tried one anyway, but installation stops immediately with
>'unsupported OS'. Not surprising, of course, but is there any way of porting
>and archive full of .debs so that it can be used in Gentoo?

app-arch/deb2targz
app-arch/rpm2targz
perhaps?
And you get to keep all the pieces if the expected APIs do not match the
actual APIs. :)
DaveF

Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2021-08-31 at 16:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> AMD have published Linux drivers on their website, but in RPM and .deb
> formats. I tried one anyway, but installation stops immediately with
> 'unsupported OS'. Not surprising, of course, but is there any way of porting
> and archive full of .debs so that it can be used in Gentoo?

Lots of portage ebuild files make use of vendor-published .deb / .rpm
files, manipulating them to install files in the Gentoo-style way.

One of the more straightforward and yet complete examples I've seen is
the Microsoft Teams (net-im/teams) package[1] but there are certainly
others to use for examples.

If you wanted, you could try making an ebuild for the deb files from
AMD, whether only for your own needs or to possibly share with others.

1:https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-im/teams/teams-1.4.00.13653-r1.ebuild
Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 18:21:48 BST Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-08-31 at 16:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > AMD have published Linux drivers on their website, but in RPM and .deb
> > formats. I tried one anyway, but installation stops immediately with
> > 'unsupported OS'. Not surprising, of course, but is there any way of
> > porting an archive full of .debs so that it can be used in Gentoo?
>
> Lots of portage ebuild files make use of vendor-published .deb / .rpm
> files, manipulating them to install files in the Gentoo-style way.
>
> One of the more straightforward and yet complete examples I've seen is
> the Microsoft Teams (net-im/teams) package[1] but there are certainly
> others to use for examples.
>
> If you wanted, you could try making an ebuild for the deb files from
> AMD, whether only for your own needs or to possibly share with others.

That's a huge undertaking in this case. Beyond me, I deem.

> 1:https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-im/teams/teams-1.4.00.1
> 3653-r1.ebuild

The thing is, there's already an ebuild for dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl, but
since I upgraded the display card the resulting code hasn't worked. BOINC
reports 'No usable GPUs found' and sources on the Web say that neither of the
two drivers works. Impasse.

Am I going to have to replace the old display card and write off the expense?
Looks like it.

Peter.
Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2021 00:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> The thing is, there's already an ebuild for dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl, but
> since I upgraded the display card the resulting code hasn't worked. BOINC
> reports 'No usable GPUs found' and sources on the Web say that neither of the
> two drivers works. Impasse.
>
> Am I going to have to replace the old display card and write off the expense?
> Looks like it.

Have you got the appropriate microcode or whatever it is loaded into the
kernel or modules?

I had a similar issue where X/wayland wouldn't load with "Can't find
video card" or somesuch, and the card wasn't being initialised by the
kernel, because I hadn't installed the relevant "proprietary firmware".
So the card didn't work.

(I've got some fun coming in the future, I want to share kernels across
my machines, one is a Ryzen, the other that A-class thingy with GPU, and
it appears it requires a little magic to make both work on the same
kernel ...)

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Radeon navi cards and opencl [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 1 September 2021 23:28:46 BST antlists wrote:
> On 01/09/2021 00:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > The thing is, there's already an ebuild for dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl,
> > but since I upgraded the display card the resulting code hasn't worked.
> > BOINC reports 'No usable GPUs found' and sources on the Web say that
> > neither of the two drivers works. Impasse.
> >
> > Am I going to have to replace the old display card and write off the
> > expense? Looks like it.
>
> Have you got the appropriate microcode or whatever it is loaded into the
> kernel or modules?

Yes, that was the first step. Those web sources I mentioned are the reason I
don't expect to see any success.

Peter.