Mailing List Archive

lightdm - can not login
I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password)
I changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not log-in.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/21 1:19 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password)
> I changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not log-in.

I switched to "sddm" and it works, but it is "ugly".

How to enable "num-lock" with sddm?
I have "num-lock" in default run-level and it turns on when system is booting but when the "sddm" starts the num-lock is OFF again.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 10 June 2021 21:22:12 BST thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 6/10/21 1:19 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in
> > the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password) I
> > changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not
> > log-in.
> I switched to "sddm" and it works, but it is "ugly".

There are some themes you could choose from, or make your own to improve the
aesthetics of its default appearance. Access to themes may be available via
your desktop environment's settings, or by setting them manually in sddm.conf.

> How to enable "num-lock" with sddm?
> I have "num-lock" in default run-level and it turns on when system is
> booting but when the "sddm" starts the num-lock is OFF again.

The default /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf has:

# Initial NumLock state. Can be on, off or none.
# If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
# NOTE: Currently ignored if autologin is enabled.
Numlock=none

You can change this in yours to 'on' and see if it makes any difference.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 6/10/21 1:19 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password)
>> I changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not log-in.
> I switched to "sddm" and it works, but it is "ugly".
>
> How to enable "num-lock" with sddm?
> I have "num-lock" in default run-level and it turns on when system is booting but when the "sddm" starts the num-lock is OFF again.

Google, startpage actually, found this:

"So, for SDDM the solution would be to place "Numlock=on" string inside
/etc/sddm.conf."

Found here, if you are curious.

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=133089#p357755

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/21 2:38 PM, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 June 2021 21:22:12 BST thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> On 6/10/21 1:19 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in
>>> the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password) I
>>> changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not
>>> log-in.
>> I switched to "sddm" and it works, but it is "ugly".
>
> There are some themes you could choose from, or make your own to improve the
> aesthetics of its default appearance. Access to themes may be available via
> your desktop environment's settings, or by setting them manually in sddm.conf.
>

>> How to enable "num-lock" with sddm?
>> I have "num-lock" in default run-level and it turns on when system is
>> booting but when the "sddm" starts the num-lock is OFF again.
>
> The default /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf has:
>
> # Initial NumLock state. Can be on, off or none.
> # If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
> # NOTE: Currently ignored if autologin is enabled.
> Numlock=none
>
> You can change this in yours to 'on' and see if it makes any difference.

In: /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
I change to
Numlock=on

It makes no difference, when system boots the "Numlock" is still off. There is no default user login either and some kind of "Consoll log for..." on the lower right hand corner (that user don't need to see).

Previously I did not use any log-in manager, I start X from
.bash_profile
if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then exec startx; fi

.xinitrc
exec startxfce4

but I'm not sure if it runs/starts in VT=7
How to check or force X to VT=7
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/21 1:19 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I'm trying to use the default "lightdm" for login but whenever I type-in the password it it puts me back to login screen (asking for password)
> I changed/updated the password and the system accept it but I still can not log-in.

It seems to me lightdm defaults to "twm" which file controls it?
I want to change it to xfce4
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 10 June 2021 22:42:10 BST thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 6/10/21 2:38 PM, Michael wrote:
> >>
> >> I switched to "sddm" and it works, but it is "ugly".
> >
> > There are some themes you could choose from, or make your own to improve
> > the aesthetics of its default appearance. Access to themes may be
> > available via your desktop environment's settings, or by setting them
> > manually in sddm.conf.>
> >> How to enable "num-lock" with sddm?
> >> I have "num-lock" in default run-level and it turns on when system is
> >> booting but when the "sddm" starts the num-lock is OFF again.
> >
> > The default /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf has:
> >
> > # Initial NumLock state. Can be on, off or none.
> > # If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
> > # NOTE: Currently ignored if autologin is enabled.
> > Numlock=none
> >
> > You can change this in yours to 'on' and see if it makes any difference.
>
> In: /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
> I change to
> Numlock=on
>
> It makes no difference, when system boots the "Numlock" is still off.

By "... when system boots" you mean when sddm starts, or when the xfce4
desktop loads?

Is it actually off, or is the corresponding LED failing to illuminate, but the
keyboard responds correctly?

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3270

I do not have numlock enabled via openrc on the default runlevel and I have
not installed numlockx. I copied the numlock configuration snippet into /etc/
sddm.conf and set it to 'on'. Restarting enabled the numlock function and
turned on the LED too, once sddm was running. After login into a desktop
finished (Plasma) the numlock remained on. So on this machine it works as
advertised with sddm and a Plasma DE.

xfce4 has a desktop setting, under Settings > Keyboard where you can enable
numlock - without depending on the display manager.

> There
> is no default user login either and some kind of "Consoll log for..." on
> the lower right hand corner (that user don't need to see).

This is not what I see here of a number of different PCs. There are avatars
for each linux user and there is no log showing on the sddm panel. Do you
have missing components like e.g. elogind, policykit?

If the OS have only one user then this user's avatar will be selected to login
with. With more than one user, the last user who logged in will be selected.

> Previously I did not use any log-in manager, I start X from
> .bash_profile
> if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then exec startx; fi
>
> .xinitrc
> exec startxfce4

Have you looked at this page - it describes bashrc as an option:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/X_without_Display_Manager

> but I'm not sure if it runs/starts in VT=7
> How to check or force X to VT=7

Ctrl+Alt+Fn to discover which virtual terminal your Xsession is running on.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
Thelma,

On Thursday, 2021-06-10 15:42:10 -0600, you wrote:

> In: /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
> I change to
> Numlock=on

No! Directory "/usr/share/sddm/" contains the default configuration for
"sddm" for reference only. You should undo this change. As Dale has
already mentioned, the real configuration file is "/etc/sddm.conf".

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
Thelma,

On Thursday, 2021-06-10 18:24:34 -0600, you wrote:

> It seems to me lightdm defaults to "twm" which file controls it?
> I want to change it to xfce4

Not quite. Either in configuration file "/etc/conf.d/xdm" (when you
have package "x11-apps/xdm" installed) or "/etc/conf.d/display-manager"
(when you have the more up-to-date package "gui-libs/display-manager-
init" installed) you want to set

DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
* <https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>*

Le ven. 11 juin 2021 à 11:12, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Thelma,
>
> On Thursday, 2021-06-10 18:24:34 -0600, you wrote:

> > It seems to me lightdm defaults to "twm" which file controls it?
> > I want to change it to xfce4
>
> Not quite. Either in configuration file "/etc/conf.d/xdm" (when you
> have package "x11-apps/xdm" installed) or "/etc/conf.d/display-manager"
> (when you have the more up-to-date package "gui-libs/display-manager-
> init" installed) you want to set
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"
>
> Sincerely,
> Rainer

Hello all,

My configuration :

1- numlockx is installed.

2- /etc/conf.d/display-manager
DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"

3- /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on

Everything works fine.

I hope this will help,

Jacques
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]

Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 11 June 2021 09:46:04 BST Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Thelma,
>
> On Thursday, 2021-06-10 15:42:10 -0600, you wrote:
> > In: /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
> > I change to
> > Numlock=on
>
> No! Directory "/usr/share/sddm/" contains the default configuration for
> "sddm" for reference only. You should undo this change. As Dale has
> already mentioned, the real configuration file is "/etc/sddm.conf".
>
> Sincerely,
> Rainer

As far as I know changing the default settings of an application in /usr/
share/<application>/ is respected, until the package is reinstalled and any
changes overwritten by the new version. For changes in a configuration to
remain following an update, using a config file in /etc or depending on the
package in /home is recommended - but it depends on the specific package what
config files it sources.

Files with configuration examples for reference only, are stored in /usr/
share/doc/<application>/ and as Rainer noted changes here won't make a
difference in the application itself.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On 6/11/21 2:17 AM, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 June 2021 22:42:10 BST thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

>>> There are some themes you could choose from, or make your own to improve
>>> the aesthetics of its default appearance. Access to themes may be
>>> available via your desktop environment's settings, or by setting them
>>> manually in sddm.conf.>
>>>
>>> The default /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf has:
>>>
>>> # Initial NumLock state. Can be on, off or none.
>>> # If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
>>> # NOTE: Currently ignored if autologin is enabled.
>>> Numlock=none
>>>
>>> You can change this in yours to 'on' and see if it makes any difference.
>>
>> In: /usr/share/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00default.conf
>> I change to
>> Numlock=on
>>
>> It makes no difference, when system boots the "Numlock" is still off.
>
> By "... when system boots" you mean when sddm starts, or when the xfce4
> desktop loads?
>
> Is it actually off, or is the corresponding LED failing to illuminate, but the
> keyboard responds correctly?
>
> https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3270
>

> I do not have numlock enabled via openrc on the default runlevel and I have
> not installed numlockx. I copied the numlock configuration snippet into /etc/
> sddm.conf and set it to 'on'. Restarting enabled the numlock function and
> turned on the LED too, once sddm was running. After login into a desktop
> finished (Plasma) the numlock remained on. So on this machine it works as
> advertised with sddm and a Plasma DE.
>
> xfce4 has a desktop setting, under Settings > Keyboard where you can enable
> numlock - without depending on the display manager.
>

>> There
>> is no default user login either and some kind of "Consoll log for..." on
>> the lower right hand corner (that user don't need to see).
>
> This is not what I see here of a number of different PCs. There are avatars
> for each linux user and there is no log showing on the sddm panel. Do you
> have missing components like e.g. elogind, policykit?
>
> If the OS have only one user then this user's avatar will be selected to login
> with. With more than one user, the last user who logged in will be selected.
>

>> Previously I did not use any log-in manager, I start X from
>> .bash_profile
>> if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then exec startx; fi
>>
>> .xinitrc
>> exec startxfce4
>
> Have you looked at this page - it describes bashrc as an option:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/X_without_Display_Manager
>

>> but I'm not sure if it runs/starts in VT=7
>> How to check or force X to VT=7
>
> Ctrl+Alt+Fn to discover which virtual terminal your Xsession is running on.

I'm back on "LightDM" login manager, the login works.
It was as simple as selecting, in top right hand corner (on "setting") during Login "Xfce" instead of "Xsession" that is using "twm" which I don't have it even installed. Xfce4 is the only desktop I have so it should be a default one.

As for numlock it still not ON.
The solution I think is to install: "x11-misc/numlockx" and point to it the configuration file.
I but I have "numlock" in default run-level and during start up the Numlock key turn ON but as soon as the "LightDM" starts, the Numlock light goes OFF.
Installing another application just to turn it ON is pointless.
Re: lightdm - can not login [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 11 June 2021 18:35:01 BST thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> As for numlock it still not ON.
> The solution I think is to install: "x11-misc/numlockx" and point to it the
> configuration file. I but I have "numlock" in default run-level

This is installed as a runlevel script to enable numlock function on the
console. For numlock to be enabled when X GUI is running you'd need a DE
specific implementation, or either the DM or DE to call the numlockx
application.

> and during
> start up the Numlock key turn ON but as soon as the "LightDM" starts, the
> Numlock light goes OFF. Installing another application just to turn it ON
> is pointless.

I no longer have lightdm running here, but I understand it runs numlockx when
configured to do so.