The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
python_targets_python3_8

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
any-of ( python_targets_python3_8 )

I saw the news-item, but it doesn't specify what to do with packages that only
list 3.8 and occasionally 3.7.

Thanks,

Joost
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 at 10:20, J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> I've got several packages complaining about "PYTHON_TARGETS" missing
> "python3_8":
>
> The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
> python_targets_python3_8
>
> The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
> any-of ( python_targets_python3_8 )
>
> I saw the news-item, but it doesn't specify what to do with packages that only
> list 3.8 and occasionally 3.7.

You can add 3.8 as a target on a specific package by specifying the
USE flag 'python_targets_python3_8' for it.

If you decide to go that route, I recommend doing that only on a
specific package version. You will then be required to keep up with
the package if a new version is released that still does not have 3.9
available, but you will automatically be rid of the 3.8 dependency on
that package whenever a version is released that can be upgraded to
3.9.

Cheers,
Arve
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 6:19 PM J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've got several packages complaining about "PYTHON_TARGETS" missing
> "python3_8"

You should add --changed-use to your emerge flags and clean any
PYTHON_TARGETS cruft out of package.use. On ~arch the default python has
just changed from 3.8 to 3.9. You may well find --depclean will remove 3.8
after that.
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, June 3, 2021 10:53:45 AM CEST Adam Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 6:19 PM J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I've got several packages complaining about "PYTHON_TARGETS" missing
> > "python3_8"
>
> You should add --changed-use to your emerge flags and clean any
> PYTHON_TARGETS cruft out of package.use. On ~arch the default python has
> just changed from 3.8 to 3.9. You may well find --depclean will remove 3.8
> after that.

I have no "python_target" entries anywhere under " /etc/portage/ " (apart from
what I have to add now to get the upgrade to actually work).

--
Joost
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]

> I have no "python_target" entries anywhere under " /etc/portage/ " (apart
> from
> what I have to add now to get the upgrade to actually work).

It may have been possible to use --changed-use and not add any python
target entries, or, it may be that you only need a very small number of
entries when using --changed-use.

You could try commenting out the target entries then running emerge -pvuUD
world to see what, if anything, remains.
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 10:48:25 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> > I've got several packages complaining about "PYTHON_TARGETS" missing
> > "python3_8":
> >
> > The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
> > python_targets_python3_8
> >
> > The above constraints are a subset of the following complete
> > expression: any-of ( python_targets_python3_8 )
> >
> > I saw the news-item, but it doesn't specify what to do with packages
> > that only list 3.8 and occasionally 3.7.
>
> You can add 3.8 as a target on a specific package by specifying the
> USE flag 'python_targets_python3_8' for it.
>
> If you decide to go that route, I recommend doing that only on a
> specific package version. You will then be required to keep up with
> the package if a new version is released that still does not have 3.9
> available, but you will automatically be rid of the 3.8 dependency on
> that package whenever a version is released that can be upgraded to
> 3.9.

I'd also put them in a separate file in /etc/portage/package.use, that
way you can review and remove the changes easily.

--
Neil Bothwick

ASSISTANT MANAGER: Feminine form of the word manager (q.v.).
Re: Issues with Python 3.8? [ In reply to ]
On 6/3/21 4:19 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> I've got several packages complaining about "PYTHON_TARGETS" missing
> "python3_8":
In my case, all such packages were leftovers that would have been (and
were) removed by an "emerge -c" which I forgot to do after the preceding
world update.  It seems they had previously been deps of other packages,
but their functionality was moved elsewhere or into the base python.