Have I missed something?

Thanks for any info.

Jack
Re: gtk+ package question [ In reply to ]
On May 29, 2021 8:28:42 PM UTC, Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
>(nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally new
>
>package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed) with
>currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available. I've done a quick
>search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
>anything relevant. Is this an intentional switch? I don't think there
>
>is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
>path?
>
>Have I missed something?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Jack

For the part of the category change it is to my uderstanding that gentoo is slowly moving from x11 style categories to gui-* .
Partly due to the wayland starting to become used more. I noticed with sway first on that.
As for the slot part somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

Regards,
Marinus
Re: gtk+ package question [ In reply to ]
On 2021.05.29 17:58, Fannys wrote:
> On May 29, 2021 8:28:42 PM UTC, Jack
> <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
> >(nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally
> new
> >
> >package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed) with
> >currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available. I've done a quick
> >search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
> >anything relevant. Is this an intentional switch? I don't think
> there
> >
> >is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
> >path?
> >
> >Have I missed something?
> >
> >Thanks for any info.
> >
> >Jack
>
> For the part of the category change it is to my uderstanding that
> gentoo is slowly moving from x11 style categories to gui-* .
> Partly due to the wayland starting to become used more. I noticed
> with sway first on that.
> As for the slot part somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in.
>
> Regards,
> Marinus
Makes sense, but I would have expected version 4 to be added as a new
slot, and that action to be separate from the category switch.
Re: gtk+ package question [ In reply to ]
Ühel kenal päeval, L, 29.05.2021 kell 16:28, kirjutas Jack:
> I just noticed that the package x11-libs/gtk+ has slots 2 and 3
> (nothing new there) however, it seems that version 4 has a totally
> new package gui-libs/gtk with only slot 0 (no explicit slot listed)
> with currently ~4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions available.

They are in SLOT="4"

> I've done a quick
> search through the announce and dev mailing lists, and not found
> anything relevant.  Is this an intentional switch?  I don't think
> there
> is much yet that uses version 4, but is there any planned migration
> path?

Yes, this is an intentional plan from me, executed by others that had
the time available for it. There were IRC talks and probably some
comments on the relevant bugs.

* I consider it too disruptive to package move everything from x11-
libs/gtk+ to gui-libs/gtk, everyone would need to adapt to it in
overlays, etc
* SLOTs are really nothing more than keeping parallel-installable
packages under the same name, instead of having separate packages like
libgtk2, libgtk3, etc
* New parallel-installable version was a good time to make the switch,
with the old slots left behind in x11-libs until they naturally fall
out of use
* It is increasingly less used with X11, and is still in x11-libs due
to the disruption it would cause to move the existing SLOTs (however
gtk2 is really X11-only)
* Upstream renamed the project from GTK+ to GTK in the gtk4 development
phase
* Separate packages are just as well parallel-installable as separate
SLOTs

So given the above, it felt best to just have the new SLOT under new
package name and not force everyone to do busywork to rename things for
the old slots.

Maybe we can move them over in a couple years without extensive overlay
breakages, when most things are using GTK4, GTK2 has been last rited
and removed and GTK3 is in a similar state of usage like GTK2 is today,
or just leave it be and have it eventually disappear.

Mart