Mailing List Archive

USB WiFi dongle for gentoo based AP
Does anyone have experience with USB WiFi dongles? - I have purchased a couple of ones with different chip sets and cant find a satisfactory one:

ralink 2870: just usable, but well known problem with errors when stressed. (IoT power switches are resetting and powecycling equipment including computers when the connection dropped/reconnects due to errors/timeouts in my case)

atheros (9k_htc): limited by linux driver to two VAP's, patches to add VAP's didnt work with later kernels (has been awhile, has this changed?)

Realtek (various): messy and limited functionality in the linux driver support out of kernel, limited coverage in kernel, mostly cant seem to do VAP's at all.

specs needed:

    Works with hostapd VAP/VLAN's - up to 8 VAP's, preferably more.

    Can handle a lot of (30 or so, mostly IoT ESP2866 and the like) WiFi clients

    2.4 Mhz, G/N standard

    USB3 preferred but optional

BillK