dilfridge@gentoo.org
Gentoo Linux developer
(council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)
Re: Gentoo IRC presence moving to Libera Chat [ In reply to ]
hi. any reason why you guys didn't go to OFTC
instead of libera?

despite libera being called after liberty in latin,
its tor support is hypocritical, as it requires
registering SASL over an un-tor-ed connection,
hence revealing your IP address, which defeats the
whole point of tor (hiding your IP address).
OFTC, on the other hand, is the home of the tor
project, and has best tor support. so, in a
sense, OFTC is the true libera.

rgrds,
cm.
Re: Re: Gentoo IRC presence moving to Libera Chat [ In reply to ]
On May 28, 2021 5:50:32 AM GMT+02:00, "caveman ?????? ????????? ???" <toraboracaveman@protonmail.com> wrote:
>hi. any reason why you guys didn't go to OFTC
>instead of libera?
>
>despite libera being called after liberty in latin,
>its tor support is hypocritical, as it requires
>registering SASL over an un-tor-ed connection,
>hence revealing your IP address, which defeats the
>whole point of tor (hiding your IP address).
>OFTC, on the other hand, is the home of the tor
>project, and has best tor support. so, in a
>sense, OFTC is the true libera.
>
>rgrds,
>cm.

(I'm not representing Gentoo.)

The purpose of Libera Chat is to provide a community platform for libre software and peer directed projects, like Gentoo.

Libera means "to set free". Which is the philosophical view of software that it should be free as in free speech, not necessarily as in free beer. It has nothing to with online anonymity.

--
Hund