Mailing List Archive

Audio through second HDMI output on GPU?
Hello,

Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
openbox WM with alsa only).

Does anyone know anything about how to check audio through Nvidia HDMI outputs?

My regular audio is through the motherboard output, and I also have a
USB soundcard that I regularly use without trouble, but my HDMI is a
different matter.

I have a GTX 1080 card with two HDMI outputs, the first connected to
my main monitor, and the second connected to a TV. I've managed to
play sound through my monitor with aplay, but no luck with the TV.

aplay reports:
$ aplay -l
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 12: HDMI 6 [HDMI 6]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

To get sound through the monitor:
aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav

No luck on any of the other 6 devices reported. I suspect there might
be a setting somewhere on the Nvidia side that limits sound output to
one of these, and if that is so, I'd rather have the TV able to get
sound, as my computer have separate speakers and no need for the HDMI
sound output.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this welcome.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
> about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
> low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
> openbox WM with alsa only).
>
> Does anyone know anything about how to check audio through Nvidia HDMI
outputs?

> My regular audio is through the motherboard output, and I also have a
> USB soundcard that I regularly use without trouble, but my HDMI is a
> different matter.
>
> I have a GTX 1080 card with two HDMI outputs, the first connected to
> my main monitor, and the second connected to a TV. I've managed to
> play sound through my monitor with aplay, but no luck with the TV.
>
> aplay reports:
> $ aplay -l
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 12: HDMI 6 [HDMI 6]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> To get sound through the monitor:
> aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav
>
> No luck on any of the other 6 devices reported. I suspect there might
> be a setting somewhere on the Nvidia side that limits sound output to
> one of these, and if that is so, I'd rather have the TV able to get
> sound, as my computer have separate speakers and no need for the HDMI
> sound output.
>
> Any ideas for troubleshooting this welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Arve

Arve,
I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you didn't
like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question with DE
or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor have
they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are in a
fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an
interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.

To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA tells
us:

cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*

Good luck,
Mark
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 22:47, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
> > about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
> > low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
> > openbox WM with alsa only).
> I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you didn't like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question with DE or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor have they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are in a fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.

Maybe derailed was a little harsh. I was appreciative of your answer
either way, as I might have left out some necessary information to
make you ask about those things. This is still very low level as far
as I understand it, so I'm not completely sure how to ask about what
I'm wondering :)

> To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA tells us:
>
> cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*

There was 16 of these entries, /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.4 was my Acer
monitor which I managed to get sound through with my command:
aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav

Most of the others simply showed:
monitor_present 0
eld_valid 0

The connected TV was here:
# cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.0
monitor_present 1
eld_valid 1
monitor_name TOSHIBA-TV

connection_type HDMI
eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
manufacture_id 0x6252
product_id 0x108
port_id 0x400
support_hdcp 0
support_ai 0
audio_sync_delay 62
speakers [0xffff] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
FLW/FRW FLH/FRH TC FCH
sad_count 2
sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
sad0_channels 2
sad0_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
sad1_coding_type [0x2] AC-3
sad1_channels 6
sad1_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
sad1_max_bitrate 640000

All of this is quite cryptic to me, so if you can glean any useful
information from it that would be great. The monitor output is fairly
similar if you exclude the sad1*-lines at the end, the most prominent
difference being the speakers line, which only listed '[0x1] FL/FR'

Regards,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On 5/21/21 3:10 PM, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 22:47, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
>>> about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
>>> low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
>>> openbox WM with alsa only).
>> I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you didn't like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question with DE or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor have they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are in a fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.
>
> Maybe derailed was a little harsh. I was appreciative of your answer
> either way, as I might have left out some necessary information to
> make you ask about those things. This is still very low level as far
> as I understand it, so I'm not completely sure how to ask about what
> I'm wondering :)
>

>> To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA tells us:
>>
>> cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*
>
> There was 16 of these entries, /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.4 was my Acer
> monitor which I managed to get sound through with my command:
> aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav
>
> Most of the others simply showed:
> monitor_present 0
> eld_valid 0
>
> The connected TV was here:
> # cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.0
> monitor_present 1
> eld_valid 1
> monitor_name TOSHIBA-TV
>
> connection_type HDMI
> eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
> edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
> manufacture_id 0x6252
> product_id 0x108
> port_id 0x400
> support_hdcp 0
> support_ai 0
> audio_sync_delay 62
> speakers [0xffff] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
> FLW/FRW FLH/FRH TC FCH
> sad_count 2
> sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
> sad0_channels 2
> sad0_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
> sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
> sad1_coding_type [0x2] AC-3
> sad1_channels 6
> sad1_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
> sad1_max_bitrate 640000
>
> All of this is quite cryptic to me, so if you can glean any useful
> information from it that would be great. The monitor output is fairly
> similar if you exclude the sad1*-lines at the end, the most prominent
> difference being the speakers line, which only listed '[0x1] FL/FR'
>
> Regards,
> Arve

Hello Arve,

I don't know if this will help but found a post with similar problem
with getting sound out of HDMI with Toshiba-TV. It was using a
raspberry pi so may not be any use to you but you may be able to find
something that will point you in the right direction.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62155

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commit/47bd0f0f46bc053d8e21655e3a69c4a73ae19b41

firmware: [hdmi] Work around an issue with Toshiba TV
See: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62155

Regards,

Eric
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 22:47, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
> > > about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
> > > low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
> > > openbox WM with alsa only).
> > I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you
didn't like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question
with DE or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor
have they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are
in a fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an
interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.

> Maybe derailed was a little harsh. I was appreciative of your answer
> either way, as I might have left out some necessary information to
> make you ask about those things. This is still very low level as far
> as I understand it, so I'm not completely sure how to ask about what
> I'm wondering :)
>

> > To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA
tells us:

> > cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*
>
> There was 16 of these entries, /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.4 was my Acer
> monitor which I managed to get sound through with my command:
> aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav
>
> Most of the others simply showed:
> monitor_present 0
> eld_valid 0
>
> The connected TV was here:
> # cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.0
> monitor_present 1
> eld_valid 1
> monitor_name TOSHIBA-TV
>
> connection_type HDMI
> eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
> edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
> manufacture_id 0x6252
> product_id 0x108
> port_id 0x400
> support_hdcp 0
> support_ai 0
> audio_sync_delay 62
> speakers [0xffff] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
> FLW/FRW FLH/FRH TC FCH
> sad_count 2
> sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
> sad0_channels 2
> sad0_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
> sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
> sad1_coding_type [0x2] AC-3
> sad1_channels 6
> sad1_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
> sad1_max_bitrate 640000
>
> All of this is quite cryptic to me, so if you can glean any useful
> information from it that would be great. The monitor output is fairly
> similar if you exclude the sad1*-lines at the end, the most prominent
> difference being the speakers line, which only listed '[0x1] FL/FR'
>
> Regards,
> Arve

OK, it's a good sign that the NVidia card is talking to the TV and
providing reasonable data.

A monitor would support stereo, so FL/FR -> Front left, Front right

Your TV is going to support lots of different speakers via (potentially)
some 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 sound system you might have attached. The values you can
decode mentally but they are rear channels, center channel, stuff like that.

OK, so what does alsamixer tell you? On my system I hit F6, choose the card
and then F3 for Playback. I see the 7 channels. Hitting 'M' changes the
mute setting but all the volumes are at 0 and hitting '+' doesn't raise the
volume. It's been so long since I looked at spdif stuff that I don't
remember if spdif supports volume this way. Will research a bit.

Anyway, I _think_ that if you hit F2 (system info) and then choose
/proc/asound/pcm you will get a list of all the sound devices with the
numbers on the left being the plughw values, but I could be quite wrong
about that.

The problem right now is we don't know if the channel is transmitting at a
volume of 0, not transmitting at all, or possibly the TV is receiving audio
data but not accepting it due to format issues.

I see a response from eric so I would certainly look into what he's
pointing you toward.
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 22 May 2021 at 00:51, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so what does alsamixer tell you? On my system I hit F6, choose the card and then F3 for Playback. I see the 7 channels. Hitting 'M' changes the mute setting but all the volumes are at 0 and hitting '+' doesn't raise the volume. It's been so long since I looked at spdif stuff that I don't remember if spdif supports volume this way. Will research a bit.

Yeah, I see exactly the same. The first one, I think, was muted
originally, but I unmuted all of these when I originally started
trying to figure this out, before my first mail to this list. I can't
be 100% sure, but I think the first one was the only one that was
muted. Output from amixer and aplay and others make me think that this
first one, is the one 'aplay -l' marks as device 3, and as the TV.
Unmuting didn't change anything though, and when I went to check again
now, all 7 channels are unmuted.

> The problem right now is we don't know if the channel is transmitting at a volume of 0, not transmitting at all, or possibly the TV is receiving audio data but not accepting it due to format issues.

Indeed. If I am indeed transmitting anything (at least aplay actually
plays the sample file in real-time, so something is getting
processed), how could I even figure out what the TV is doing about it.
I'm starting to collect good reasons for replacing this aging 10+ year
old TV :)

> I see a response from eric so I would certainly look into what he's pointing you toward.

Eric's links were very interesting, and the pi people's solution
seemed to be something simple, but their fix seems to also be in
firmware, with a link to a giant, mostly binary, git commit. It made
me think, though, if there was something in my kernel config that
could be stopping the sound from getting through though, so that will
be my next direction of inquiry. If this TV required something special
in the pi firmware, maybe that is something I've managed to exclude
from my own build.

Cheers,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 13:21, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric's links were very interesting, and the pi people's solution
> seemed to be something simple, but their fix seems to also be in
> firmware, with a link to a giant, mostly binary, git commit. It made
> me think, though, if there was something in my kernel config that
> could be stopping the sound from getting through though, so that will
> be my next direction of inquiry. If this TV required something special
> in the pi firmware, maybe that is something I've managed to exclude
> from my own build.

Welp, everything out the window, I have no idea what, if anything,
I've changed since I started this investigation.

aplay -D plughw:1,3 sample.wav

It works now! :D

Cheers,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 5:47 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 13:21, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Eric's links were very interesting, and the pi people's solution
> > seemed to be something simple, but their fix seems to also be in
> > firmware, with a link to a giant, mostly binary, git commit. It made
> > me think, though, if there was something in my kernel config that
> > could be stopping the sound from getting through though, so that will
> > be my next direction of inquiry. If this TV required something special
> > in the pi firmware, maybe that is something I've managed to exclude
> > from my own build.
>
> Welp, everything out the window, I have no idea what, if anything,
> I've changed since I started this investigation.
>
> aplay -D plughw:1,3 sample.wav
>
> It works now! :D
>
> Cheers,
> Arve

Well, good news no matter how it happened.

Hopefully it still works after a reboot. I guess we'll find out.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 16:14, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, good news no matter how it happened.
>
> Hopefully it still works after a reboot. I guess we'll find out.

Indeed. Might even have been a reboot that made it work, but at least
I know my system and my TV has the capabilities I wanted.

Cheers for trying to help!

Regards,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 16:14, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, good news no matter how it happened.
>>
>> Hopefully it still works after a reboot. I guess we'll find out.
> Indeed. Might even have been a reboot that made it work, but at least
> I know my system and my TV has the capabilities I wanted.
>
> Cheers for trying to help!
>
> Regards,
> Arve

If you ever figure it out, please post what did it.  I watch TV from my
puter too.  Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by giving
it the device name like you did.  Thing is, none of the entries in the
drop down menu in settings works.  Odd but it is what it is.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 18:22, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you ever figure it out, please post what did it. I watch TV from my
> puter too. Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by giving
> it the device name like you did. Thing is, none of the entries in the
> drop down menu in settings works. Odd but it is what it is.

Might be worth checking if the smplayer front-end is messing something
up, by going straight through mpv. My last steps for playing video
through the TV, with the audio going there as well:

Get a list of all the audio devices on your system.
$ mpv --audio-device=help

Use the correct device in your video command.
DISPLAY=:0.1 mpv --audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -fs video.mkv

Also check what Mark mentioned about muted channels on the output card
through alsamixer.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 18:22, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you ever figure it out, please post what did it. I watch TV from my
>> puter too. Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by giving
>> it the device name like you did. Thing is, none of the entries in the
>> drop down menu in settings works. Odd but it is what it is.
> Might be worth checking if the smplayer front-end is messing something
> up, by going straight through mpv. My last steps for playing video
> through the TV, with the audio going there as well:
>
> Get a list of all the audio devices on your system.
> $ mpv --audio-device=help
>
> Use the correct device in your video command.
> DISPLAY=:0.1 mpv --audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -fs video.mkv
>
> Also check what Mark mentioned about muted channels on the output card
> through alsamixer.
>
> Regards,
> Arve

When I set mine up, I just set output driver to user defined and entered
alsa:device=hw=1.7 in settings.  I only want Smplayer to output to the
TV.  Everything else goes to the speakers hooked to the computer itself.

The day may come when I use something other than Smplayer to watch TV
tho.  If, or when, that day comes I'll have to figure out how to get the
audio to work with it.  Right now, I'm still able to use the old gnome
player still.  It's going to die one day tho since it is no longer
maintained.

I do find these audio topics interesting tho.  It seems it should be
easy to send sound to any place it can go but it isn't easy to do for
real.  It seems it is a problem for a lot of people doing what I think
is at least somewhat common.

Either way, glad you got it working.  It took me days to figure out mine
too.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:09 AM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Arve Barsnes wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 18:22, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If you ever figure it out, please post what did it. I watch TV from my
> >> puter too. Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by
giving
> >> it the device name like you did. Thing is, none of the entries in the
> >> drop down menu in settings works. Odd but it is what it is.
> > Might be worth checking if the smplayer front-end is messing something
> > up, by going straight through mpv. My last steps for playing video
> > through the TV, with the audio going there as well:
> >
> > Get a list of all the audio devices on your system.
> > $ mpv --audio-device=help
> >
> > Use the correct device in your video command.
> > DISPLAY=:0.1 mpv --audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -fs
video.mkv

> > Also check what Mark mentioned about muted channels on the output card
> > through alsamixer.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arve
> >

> When I set mine up, I just set output driver to user defined and entered
> alsa:device=hw=1.7 in settings. I only want Smplayer to output to the
> TV. Everything else goes to the speakers hooked to the computer itself.
>
> The day may come when I use something other than Smplayer to watch TV
> tho. If, or when, that day comes I'll have to figure out how to get the
> audio to work with it. Right now, I'm still able to use the old gnome
> player still. It's going to die one day tho since it is no longer
> maintained.
>
> I do find these audio topics interesting tho. It seems it should be
> easy to send sound to any place it can go but it isn't easy to do for
> real. It seems it is a problem for a lot of people doing what I think
> is at least somewhat common.
>
> Either way, glad you got it working. It took me days to figure out mine
> too.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Dale and Arve,
As I do home studio type recording using Linux I always find this topic
quite interesting but because of the more complicated setup of my audio
environment which makes use of a Hammerfall DSP card driving the speaker
but utilizes the internal Intel sound card for general audio, along with
cables outside to hook the two together, I'm just not sure what I see on my
system is very helpful to you two. Nonetheless I do have an older NVidia
GPU and would like to understand what's going on with all of this.

A couple of requests:

1) instead of aplay -l please run aplay -L

2) Also provide the output of

cat /proc/asound/card2/codec#0

Note: Your card number may well be different than mine card0=Hammerfall,
card1=Internal Intel sound, card2=NVidia

Also, there is an old (2014) document online from NVidia that provides a
lot of info on Alsa device naming and how NVidia GPUs handle audio. It's
one of the better ones I've found online making the dangerous assumption
that it hasn't all changed. There's lots of info in this document about
system config edits for non-pulseaudio users and things that might possibly
be of interest to Gentoo users with configuration more like Arve's, but
again, that's a guess on my part.

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/

No rush on any of this.

Thanks,
Mark
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

> Dale and Arve,
>    As I do home studio type recording using Linux I always find this
> topic quite interesting but because of the more complicated setup of
> my audio environment which makes use of a Hammerfall DSP card driving
> the speaker but utilizes the internal Intel sound card for general
> audio, along with cables outside to hook the two together, I'm just
> not sure what I see on my system is very helpful to you two.
> Nonetheless I do have an older NVidia GPU and would like to understand
> what's going on with all of this.
>
>    A couple of requests:
>
> 1) instead of aplay -l please run aplay -L
>
> 2) Also provide the output of
>
> cat /proc/asound/card2/codec#0
>
> Note: Your card number may well be different than mine
> card0=Hammerfall, card1=Internal Intel sound, card2=NVidia
>
>    Also, there is an old (2014) document online from NVidia that
> provides a lot of info on Alsa device naming and how NVidia GPUs
> handle audio. It's one of the better ones I've found online making the
> dangerous assumption that it hasn't all changed. There's lots of info
> in this document about system config edits for non-pulseaudio users
> and things that might possibly be of interest to Gentoo users with
> configuration more like Arve's, but again, that's a guess on my part.
>
> https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/
>
>    No rush on any of this.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

While what I have is working, I wouldn't mind having info in case it
stops working or I need to change my video player.  I don't have a card2
but I do have a card0 and card1.  I'm including both since I'm not sure
what is what.  Plus it may help someone else. Since I snipped previous,
this is the setting for my TV.  alsa:device=hw=1.7

root@fireball / # aplay -L
null
default:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
    Front output / input
surround21:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT2020 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 3
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=4
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 4
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=5
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 5
    HDMI Audio Output
root@fireball / # cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: VIA VT2020
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x11060441
Subsystem Id: 0x1458a014
Revision Id: 0x100100
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x0]:
    bits [0x0]:
    formats [0x0]:
Default Amp-In caps: N/A
Default Amp-Out caps: N/A
State of AFG node 0x01:
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 EPSS
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
GPIO: io=1, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=1, wake=0
  IO[0]: enable=0, dir=0, wake=0, sticky=0, data=0, unsol=0
Node 0x08 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Front Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Device: name="VT2020 Analog", type="Audio", device=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x2a, nsteps=0x2a, stepsize=0x05, mute=0
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x2a 0x2a]
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x09 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Surround Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x2a, nsteps=0x2a, stepsize=0x05, mute=0
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x0a [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Center Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=1, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="LFE Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=2, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x2a, nsteps=0x2a, stepsize=0x05, mute=0
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x2a]
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x0b [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Side Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x2a, nsteps=0x2a, stepsize=0x05, mute=0
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x1d 0x1d]
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x0c [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Headphone Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Device: name="VT2020 Alt Analog", type="Audio", device=2
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x2a, nsteps=0x2a, stepsize=0x05, mute=0
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x27 0x27]
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x0d [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x0e [Audio Output] wcaps 0x611: Stereo Digital
  Control: name="IEC958 Playback Con Mask", index=0, device=0
  Control: name="IEC958 Playback Pro Mask", index=0, device=0
  Control: name="IEC958 Playback Default", index=0, device=0
  Control: name="IEC958 Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
  Control: name="IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
  Device: name="VT2020 Digital", type="SPDIF", device=1
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x0f [Audio Output] wcaps 0x611: Stereo Digital
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x10 [Audio Input] wcaps 0x10051b: Stereo Amp-In
  Control: name="Capture Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Capture Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Device: name="VT2020 Analog", type="Audio", device=0
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x0b, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
  SDI-Select: 0
  PCM:
    rates [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x1e
Node 0x11 [Audio Input] wcaps 0x10051b: Stereo Amp-In
  Control: name="Capture Volume", index=1, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Capture Switch", index=1, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Device: name="VT2020 Alt Analog", type="Audio", device=2
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x0b, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
  SDI-Select: 0
  PCM:
    rates [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x1f
Node 0x12 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x13 [Audio Input] wcaps 0x100711: Stereo Digital
  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
  SDI-Select: 0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x1f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x2f
Node 0x14 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x15 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x16 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x17 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x18 [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x08 0x21
Node 0x19 [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x09 0x21
Node 0x1a [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x0b 0x21
Node 0x1b [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x34 0x21
Node 0x1c [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x80 0x80] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x35 0x21
Node 0x1d [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x1e [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300501: Stereo
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 6
     0x2c 0x2b 0x2a 0x29* 0x28 0x21
Node 0x1f [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300501: Stereo
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 6
     0x2c 0x2b 0x2a 0x29* 0x28 0x21
Node 0x20 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x21 [Audio Mixer] wcaps 0x20050b: Stereo Amp-In
  Control: name="Front Mic Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=3, ofs=0
  Control: name="Front Mic Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=3, ofs=0
  Control: name="Rear Mic Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=1, ofs=0
  Control: name="Rear Mic Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=1, ofs=0
  Control: name="Line Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=2, ofs=0
  Control: name="Line Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=2, ofs=0
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x17, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-In vals:  [0x80 0x80] [0x00 0x00] [0x80 0x80] [0x80 0x80] [0x80 0x80]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 5
     0x2c 0x2b 0x2a 0x29 0x28
  In-driver Connection: 6
     0x2c 0x2b 0x2a 0x29 0x28 0x08
Node 0x22 [Beep Generator Widget] wcaps 0x70040c: Mono Amp-Out
  Control: name="Beep Playback Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=1, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="Beep Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=1, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x0a, nsteps=0x12, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x01]
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x23 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x24 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Front Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x0001001c: OUT HP EAPD Detect
  EAPD 0x2: EAPD
  Pin Default 0x01014010: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=01, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x18
Node 0x25 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Surround Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x0000001c: OUT HP Detect
  Pin Default 0x01011012: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x2
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=02, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x19
Node 0x26 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Center Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=1, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Control: name="LFE Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=2, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x00000014: OUT Detect
  Pin Default 0x01016011: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Orange
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x1
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=03, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x0a
Node 0x27 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Side Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Pincap 0x00000014: OUT Detect
  Pin Default 0x01012014: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Grey
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x4
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=04, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x1a
Node 0x28 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Headphone Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x0000233c: IN OUT HP Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x0221401f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Green
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0xf
  Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=05, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x1b
Node 0x29 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Front Mic Boost Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Pincap 0x0000233c: IN OUT HP Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x02a19037: [Jack] Mic at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink
    DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x7
  Pin-ctls: 0x21: IN VREF_50
  Unsolicited: tag=06, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x1c
Node 0x2a [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Pincap 0x00002334: IN OUT Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x0181303e: [Jack] Line In at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Blue
    DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0xe
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=08, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x09* 0x0c
Node 0x2b [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Rear Mic Boost Volume", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=In, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
  Pincap 0x00002334: IN OUT Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 100
  Pin Default 0x01a19036: [Jack] Mic at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink
    DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x6
  Pin-ctls: 0x21: IN VREF_50
  Unsolicited: tag=07, enabled=1
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 2
     0x0a* 0x0c
Node 0x2c [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400401: Stereo
  Pincap 0x00000020: IN
  Pin Default 0x503701f0: [N/A] CD at Int N/A
    Conn = Analog, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x00:
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x2d [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400701: Stereo Digital
  Pincap 0x00000010: OUT
  Pin Default 0x074511f0: [Jack] SPDIF Out at Ext Rear Panel
    Conn = Optical, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x0e
Node 0x2e [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400701: Stereo Digital
  Pincap 0x00000010: OUT
  Pin Default 0x074521f0: [Jack] SPDIF Out at Ext Rear Panel
    Conn = Optical, Color = Grey
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 1
     0x0f
Node 0x2f [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400601: Stereo Digital
  Pincap 0x00000030: IN OUT
  Pin Default 0x47c521f0: [N/A] SPDIF In at Ext Rear Panel
    Conn = Optical, Color = Grey
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
Node 0x30 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x31 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x32 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x33 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00000: Mono
Node 0x34 [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300501: Stereo
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 3
     0x08 0x0b 0x0c*
Node 0x35 [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x300501: Stereo
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 3
     0x08* 0x0b 0x0c
root@fireball / # cat /proc/asound/card1/codec#0
Codec: Nvidia GPU 42 HDMI/DP
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x10de0042
Subsystem Id: 0x14628a96
Revision Id: 0x100100
No Modem Function Group found
    rates [0x0]:
    bits [0x0]:
    formats [0x0]:
State of AFG node 0x01:
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 CLKSTOP EPSS
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
GPIO: io=0, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=0, wake=0
Node 0x04 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
  Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
  Pin Default 0x185600f0: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
    Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x00:
  Unsolicited: tag=01, enabled=1
  Devices: 4
     Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
    *Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
  Connection: 4
     0x08* 0x09 0x0a 0x0b
Node 0x05 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
  Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
  Pin Default 0x185600f0: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
    Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=05, enabled=1
  Devices: 4
    *Dev 00: PD = 1, ELDV = 1, IA = 0
     Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
  Connection: 4
     0x08* 0x09 0x0a 0x0b
Node 0x06 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
  Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
  Pin Default 0x585600f0: [N/A] Digital Out at Int HDMI
    Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x00:
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
  Devices: 4
    *Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
  Connection: 4
     0x08* 0x09 0x0a 0x0b
Node 0x07 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
  Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
  Pin Default 0x185600f0: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
    Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x00:
  Unsolicited: tag=09, enabled=1
  Devices: 4
     Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
     Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
    *Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0
  Connection: 4
     0x08* 0x09 0x0a 0x0b
Node 0x08 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe
  Device: name="HDMI 1", type="HDMI", device=7
  Converter: stream=5, channel=0
  Digital: Enabled
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
Node 0x09 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe
  Converter: stream=6, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
Node 0x0a [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe
  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
Node 0x0b [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe
  Converter: stream=0, channel=0
  Digital:
  Digital category: 0x0
  IEC Coding Type: 0x0
  PCM:
    rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
root@fireball / #

Oh goodness.  That's a lot of info.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Audio through second HDMI output on GPU? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 19:42, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) instead of aplay -l please run aplay -L

My aplay -L was more or less identical to Dale's on the HDMI part,
except for going all the way to DEV 6.

> 2) Also provide the output of
>
> cat /proc/asound/card2/codec#0

This was also more or less the same, probably simple because of the
different models of GPU. In case any of the smaller differences are
interesting to you, here's that output.

# cat /proc/asound/card1/codec#0
Codec: Nvidia GPU 83 HDMI/DP
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
Vendor Id: 0x10de0083
Subsystem Id: 0x104385aa
Revision Id: 0x100100
No Modem Function Group found
rates [0x0]:
bits [0x0]:
formats [0x0]:
State of AFG node 0x01:
Power states: D0 D1 D2 D3 CLKSTOP EPSS
Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
GPIO: io=0, o=0, i=0, unsolicited=0, wake=0
Node 0x04 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
Pin Default 0x185600f0: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
Pin-ctls: 0x00:
Unsolicited: tag=01, enabled=1
Devices: 4
*Dev 00: PD = 1, ELDV = 1, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Connection: 4
0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d
[...]
Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
*Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Connection: 4
0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d
Node 0x07 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
Pin Default 0x185600f0: [Jack] Digital Out at Int HDMI
Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
Pin-ctls: 0x00:
Unsolicited: tag=0d, enabled=1
Devices: 4
Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
*Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Connection: 4
0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d
Node 0x08 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
Pincap 0x09000094: OUT Detect HBR HDMI DP
Pin Default 0x585600f0: [N/A] Digital Out at Int HDMI
Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
Pin-ctls: 0x00:
Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
Devices: 4
*Dev 00: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d ]
Dev 01: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x00* 0xb758
0x8884 0xffff ]
Dev 02: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x00* 0xb758
0x8884 0xffff ]
Dev 03: PD = 0, ELDV = 0, IA = 0, Connections [ 0x00* 0xb758
0x8884 0xffff ]
Connection: 4
0x0a* 0x0b 0x0c 0x0d
Node 0x09 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x407381: 8-Channels Digital CP
[...]
Node 0x0c [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe
Converter: stream=0, channel=0
Digital:
Digital category: 0x0
IEC Coding Type: 0x0
PCM:
rates [0x7f0]: 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
Node 0x0d [Audio Output] wcaps 0x62b1: 8-Channels Digital Stripe