Mailing List Archive

[SOLVED?] Re: boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
So, the root of my booting problem is Linux doesn’t yet fully support my
intel core i5-10400 processor’s uhd 630 graphics.

I’ve been able to boot gentoo-sources-5.10.27 successfully using grub on my
new Asus Tuf Gaming B560M-Plus Wifi board equipped with an intel core
i5-10400 processor.

If you use the nomodeset kernel parameter, the boot messages scrolling by
on the screen look like what you’d expect from a normal grub/gentoo boot.

If you don’t use nomodeset, a few initial lines of boot progress appear
from grub, then stop. It looks like the boot has hung after the initrd,
but it hasn’t. When the kernel takes over the display, something in the
modesetting goes wrong, and nothing is displayed from that point on. But
the system boots fine otherwise.

You can’t start X11 even after following the instructions in
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide. The Xorg log indicates that it
can’t find the proper driver.

After searching for the errors reported in the Xorg log, I stumbled on the
same problem I’m having in
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/642535/xorg-detects-no-displays-with-an-intel-uhd-630.
That article in turn refers to activity in
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip, which is the direct rendering manager
development site. What I gather from poking around there is that the intel
915 video driver has just been patched to solve the problem I’m having, but
uncertain whether the patch has made it out to the linux distros. The
problem affects all intel processors with onboard uhd 630 graphics.

I’ve tried gentoo-sources 5.10.27 and 5.11.21. Both have the video
problem. I’ve also tried 5.12.4. Can’t get it to boot. Have also tried
Ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop. It works fine on my older intel boxes, but
displays the same video problem on my new board/cpu. Haven’t verified it,
but guessing none of these have the uhd 630 patch.

So, my previous suspects - secure boot, motherboard, grub, and my
customized kernel configs - are all innocent and working fine. Just have
to wait for the patched intel driver to show up in gentoo-sources.

Thanks for all the helpful advice I received! Couldn’t have gotten this
far without it.

John
Re: [SOLVED?] Re: boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...” [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 May 2021 05:08:44 -0400, John Blinka wrote:

> So, my previous suspects - secure boot, motherboard, grub, and my
> customized kernel configs - are all innocent and working fine. Just
> have to wait for the patched intel driver to show up in gentoo-sources.

If you haven't already, and no one else has, post a request for it n
b.g.o.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 39: Almost exactly