Mailing List Archive

What does emerge status R mean?
Why does portage want to build this:

[ebuild   R    ] x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10::gentoo 0 KiB

given this, already installed:

/var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild

and these on my binary server (which is apparently not working properly
for reasons I'm trying to track down):

     binpkgs/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10.tbz2
     distfiles/xmodmap-1.0.10.tar.bz2

When I remove these options, it doesn't want to anymore:

    #  --changed-use \
    #  --changed-deps \
    #  --newuse \
    #  --backtrack=100 \
    #  --deep \

Which option was it, I wonder, which triggered the build, and would it
bring me anything?

The options still used are:

emerge \
  --getbinpkg y \
  -v \
  --tree \
  --update \
  --noreplace \
  --verbose-conflicts \
  --keep-going \
  --with-bdeps=y \
  @world
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/21 3:54 AM, n952162 wrote:
> Why does portage want to build this:
>
> [ebuild   R    ] x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10::gentoo 0 KiB
>
> given this, already installed:
>
> /var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
>
> and these on my binary server (which is apparently not working properly
> for reasons I'm trying to track down):
>
>      binpkgs/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10.tbz2
>      distfiles/xmodmap-1.0.10.tar.bz2
>
> When I remove these options, it doesn't want to anymore:
>
>     #  --changed-use \
>     #  --changed-deps \
>     #  --newuse \
>     #  --backtrack=100 \
>     #  --deep \
>
> Which option was it, I wonder, which triggered the build, and would it
> bring me anything?
My guess is that one of the USE flags changed.  Compare which USE flags
is it currently installed with and which it wants for the reinstall.  It
might even be that a USE flag changed in the ebuild, even if it won't
actually change what gets installed. (--changed-use vs --new-use)

Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:54:30 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> Why does portage want to build this:
>
> [ebuild   R    ] x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10::gentoo 0 KiB
>
> given this, already installed:
>
> /var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
>
> and these on my binary server (which is apparently not working properly
> for reasons I'm trying to track down):
>
>      binpkgs/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10.tbz2
>      distfiles/xmodmap-1.0.10.tar.bz2
>
> When I remove these options, it doesn't want to anymore:
>
>     #  --changed-use \
>     #  --changed-deps \
>     #  --newuse \
>     #  --backtrack=100 \
>     #  --deep \
>
> Which option was it, I wonder, which triggered the build, and would it
> bring me anything?

--changed-use would show the changed USE flag in the output, so it is
probably --changed-deps. The emerge man page explains just what the flag
does.

Incidentally, there is no point in using --newuse and --changed-use, the
former is a superset of the latter. I'd use only --changed-use to avoid
unnecessary rebuilds.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 004: Erroneous error - Nothing is wrong
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
The R status means REBUILD. Usually, if it's an @world it's pulling that
in because something about that package changed and so it needs to
rebuild it. The --noreplace option would block that if portage didn't
think it was needed. Based on your options, I'd say that it's probably a
USE flag was changed. I don't use binpkgs myself, preferring to compile
except in certain circumstances (can we say RUST!?) that I need to use a
-bin variant. You can try without it, but I recommend leaving your
change-use and newuse flags in place and letting the system rebuild xmodmap.

--
Dan Egli
From my Test Server
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/21 6:07 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 5/14/21 3:54 AM, n952162 wrote:
>> Why does portage want to build this:
>>
>> [ebuild   R    ] x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10::gentoo 0 KiB
>>
>> given this, already installed:
>>
>> /var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
>>
>> and these on my binary server (which is apparently not working properly
>> for reasons I'm trying to track down):
>>
>>      binpkgs/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10.tbz2
>>      distfiles/xmodmap-1.0.10.tar.bz2
>>
>> When I remove these options, it doesn't want to anymore:
>>
>>     #  --changed-use \
>>     #  --changed-deps \
>>     #  --newuse \
>>     #  --backtrack=100 \
>>     #  --deep \
>>
>> Which option was it, I wonder, which triggered the build, and would it
>> bring me anything?
> My guess is that one of the USE flags changed.  Compare which USE
> flags is it currently installed with and which it wants for the
> reinstall.  It might even be that a USE flag changed in the ebuild,
> even if it won't actually change what gets installed. (--changed-use
> vs --new-use)

There are no use flags defined for any of the packages I did a random
check for, either on the server or the client.  I am worried that it is
as you say: that the ebuild has a change of USE flags, which, of course,
has nothing to do with me, the user.
I wish dearly that I could find a print out of the reasons why a package
is rejected, listing new and old USE flags, for example.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/21 8:11 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:54:30 +0200, n952162 wrote:
>
>> Why does portage want to build this:
>>
>> [ebuild   R    ] x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10::gentoo 0 KiB
>>
>> given this, already installed:
>>
>> /var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
>>
>> and these on my binary server (which is apparently not working properly
>> for reasons I'm trying to track down):
>>
>>      binpkgs/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10.tbz2
>>      distfiles/xmodmap-1.0.10.tar.bz2
>>
>> When I remove these options, it doesn't want to anymore:
>>
>>     #  --changed-use \
>>     #  --changed-deps \
>>     #  --newuse \
>>     #  --backtrack=100 \
>>     #  --deep \
>>
>> Which option was it, I wonder, which triggered the build, and would it
>> bring me anything?
> --changed-use would show the changed USE flag in the output, so it is
> probably --changed-deps. The emerge man page explains just what the flag
> does.

I haven't been able to find that display yet.  I have found this:

 * Messages for package virtual/dev-manager-0-r2:
 * emerge --keep-going: virtual/dev-manager-0-r2 dropped because it
requires
 * sys-apps/busybox[mdev]

Is this what you're referring to?  In one build, I have tons of these,
but in a way that's confusing me now, they refer to packages that seem
to have been inexplicably dropped.

> Incidentally, there is no point in using --newuse and --changed-use, the
> former is a superset of the latter. I'd use only --changed-use to avoid
> unnecessary rebuilds.

That's useful, thank you.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/15/21 7:24 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> The R status means REBUILD. Usually, if it's an @world it's pulling
> that in because something about that package changed and so it needs
> to rebuild it. The --noreplace option would block that if portage
> didn't think it was needed. Based on your options, I'd say that it's
> probably a USE flag was changed. I don't use binpkgs myself,
> preferring to compile except in certain circumstances (can we say
> RUST!?) that I need to use a -bin variant. You can try without it, but
> I recommend leaving your change-use and newuse flags in place and
> letting the system rebuild xmodmap.

Yes, thank you, but neither the server nor the client have any USE flags
for that package defined.  And the package has to be pretty stable by
now  ;-)
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:11:54 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> > My guess is that one of the USE flags changed.  Compare which USE
> > flags is it currently installed with and which it wants for the
> > reinstall.  It might even be that a USE flag changed in the ebuild,
> > even if it won't actually change what gets installed. (--changed-use
> > vs --new-use)
> >
> There are no use flags defined for any of the packages I did a random
> check for, either on the server or the client.  I am worried that it is
> as you say: that the ebuild has a change of USE flags, which, of course,
> has nothing to do with me, the user.

As already stated, any USE flag changes would appear in the emerge
output, this is most likely caused by --changed-deps. Try with
--changed-use but without --changed-deps to see.

--
Neil Bothwick

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/21 11:23 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:11:54 +0200, n952162 wrote:
>
>>> My guess is that one of the USE flags changed.  Compare which USE
>>> flags is it currently installed with and which it wants for the
>>> reinstall.  It might even be that a USE flag changed in the ebuild,
>>> even if it won't actually change what gets installed. (--changed-use
>>> vs --new-use)
>>>
>> There are no use flags defined for any of the packages I did a random
>> check for, either on the server or the client.  I am worried that it is
>> as you say: that the ebuild has a change of USE flags, which, of course,
>> has nothing to do with me, the user.
> As already stated, any USE flag changes would appear in the emerge
> output, this is most likely caused by --changed-deps. Try with
> --changed-use but without --changed-deps to see.

I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
output, right?
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:26:37 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> >> There are no use flags defined for any of the packages I did a random
> >> check for, either on the server or the client.  I am worried that it
> >> is as you say: that the ebuild has a change of USE flags, which, of
> >> course, has nothing to do with me, the user.
> > As already stated, any USE flag changes would appear in the emerge
> > output, this is most likely caused by --changed-deps. Try with
> > --changed-use but without --changed-deps to see.
> >

> I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
> the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
> output, right?

--changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.

--
Neil Bothwick

Runtime Error: Out of funny taglines!
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
n952162 wrote:
> On 5/15/21 7:24 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
>> The R status means REBUILD. Usually, if it's an @world it's pulling
>> that in because something about that package changed and so it needs
>> to rebuild it. The --noreplace option would block that if portage
>> didn't think it was needed. Based on your options, I'd say that it's
>> probably a USE flag was changed. I don't use binpkgs myself,
>> preferring to compile except in certain circumstances (can we say
>> RUST!?) that I need to use a -bin variant. You can try without it, but
>> I recommend leaving your change-use and newuse flags in place and
>> letting the system rebuild xmodmap.
>>

> Yes, thank you, but neither the server nor the client have any USE flags
> for that package defined.  And the package has to be pretty stable by
> now  ;-)

All packages have USE flags defined somewhere even if you haven't
defined any yourself.  Some are defined in profiles, some are defined
elsewhere.  When I do updates, I see changes to USE flags all the time
that were changed by the profile, the maintainer in the ebuild or
somewhere else.  After all, if a package doesn't have the USE flags
defined somewhere, emerge won't know what USE flags to include or
exclude support for.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/21 11:28 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> As already stated, any USE flag changes would appear in the emerge
>>> output, this is most likely caused by --changed-deps. Try with
>>> --changed-use but without --changed-deps to see.
>>>

>> I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
>> the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
>> output, right?
>>
> --changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.

Ah, I oversaw that.

Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
silly.

It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
disqualified for that reason.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/21 12:01 PM, Dale wrote:
> n952162 wrote:
>> On 5/15/21 7:24 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
>>> The R status means REBUILD. Usually, if it's an @world it's pulling
>>> that in because something about that package changed and so it needs
>>> to rebuild it. The --noreplace option would block that if portage
>>> didn't think it was needed. Based on your options, I'd say that it's
>>> probably a USE flag was changed. I don't use binpkgs myself,
>>> preferring to compile except in certain circumstances (can we say
>>> RUST!?) that I need to use a -bin variant. You can try without it, but
>>> I recommend leaving your change-use and newuse flags in place and
>>> letting the system rebuild xmodmap.
>>>

>> Yes, thank you, but neither the server nor the client have any USE flags
>> for that package defined.  And the package has to be pretty stable by
>> now  ;-)
>>

> All packages have USE flags defined somewhere even if you haven't
> defined any yourself.  Some are defined in profiles, some are defined
> elsewhere.  When I do updates, I see changes to USE flags all the time
> that were changed by the profile, the maintainer in the ebuild or
> somewhere else.  After all, if a package doesn't have the USE flags
> defined somewhere, emerge won't know what USE flags to include or
> exclude support for.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

But if I don't specify that I want something specific, why should
portage say, this package has internal differences to the old package, I
better not install it?
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:49:26 +0200
n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:

> >> I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
> >> the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
> >> output, right?
> >>
> > --changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.
> >

> Ah, I oversaw that.
>
> Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
> silly.
>
> It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
> disqualified for that reason.

If you want to have a binhost, then --changed-deps will become
"necessary" at some point. Let me draw you a picture, where a binhost
would fail to provide the correct package:
- Binhost builds on day 1 package XYZ
- computer that would merge with packages from binhost is NOT updated
- the dependencies are changed on day 2
- Binhost does NOT rebuild, because you do not have --changed-deps
enabled on day 2
- Computer that merges from the binhost is updated on day 2 but will
NOT use the binary package from binhost, because the dependencies do
not match
There are flags to ignore dependency mismatches, but the default would
just not use the binary package.

Cheers
Andreas
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/21 12:49 PM, n952162 wrote:

>>> I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
>>> the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
>>> output, right?
>>>
>> --changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.
>>

> Ah, I oversaw that.
>
> Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
> silly.
>
> It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
> disqualified for that reason.

Okay, the point is, there's some package on my system that doesn't match
what the new version of the depending package requires?  Or, just that
there's a dependency change at all?

If the former, but there's a old version of the needed packet, will
portage link with the old version?
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 05:01:18 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> n952162 wrote:
> > On 5/15/21 7:24 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> >> The R status means REBUILD. Usually, if it's an @world it's pulling
> >> that in because something about that package changed and so it needs
> >> to rebuild it. The --noreplace option would block that if portage
> >> didn't think it was needed. Based on your options, I'd say that it's
> >> probably a USE flag was changed. I don't use binpkgs myself,
> >> preferring to compile except in certain circumstances (can we say
> >> RUST!?) that I need to use a -bin variant. You can try without it, but
> >> I recommend leaving your change-use and newuse flags in place and
> >> letting the system rebuild xmodmap.
> >>

> > Yes, thank you, but neither the server nor the client have any USE flags
> > for that package defined.  And the package has to be pretty stable by
> > now  ;-)
> >

> All packages have USE flags defined somewhere even if you haven't
> defined any yourself.  Some are defined in profiles, some are defined
> elsewhere.  When I do updates, I see changes to USE flags all the time
> that were changed by the profile, the maintainer in the ebuild or
> somewhere else.  After all, if a package doesn't have the USE flags
> defined somewhere, emerge won't know what USE flags to include or
> exclude support for.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I t hink you are confusing enabled USE flags, with package USE flags. A
package can have 0 USE flags (e.g. x11-apps/xmodmap, and many more).
Enabled USE flags on the other hand are defined by user config files and
profiles and by the package itself (i.e. they could be enabled by
default).
So there can very well be packages that have 0 USE flags, and xmodmap
is one of them.
The "problem" here is most probably a changed dependency. The
dependencies (as defined in the ebuild) under which the package was
built on the binhost have changed in the meantime in the ebuild file
(without a revbump/version bump), and if the binhost has not enabled
the flag "--changed-deps", it did not update the package to the new
dependencies.
If you really want to debug this, you could do a diff of the files
/var/db/pkg/x11-apps/xmodmap-1.0.10/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
/usr/portage/x11-apps/xmodmap/xmodmap-1.0.10.ebuild
(or whatever your portage root directory is, I'm still using
/usr/portage). That diff should be on the binhost!

Cheers
Andreas
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On 5/16/21 12:53 PM, Andreas Fink wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:49:26 +0200
> n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:

>>> --changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.
>>>

>> Ah, I oversaw that.
>>
>> Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
>> silly.
>>
>> It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
>> disqualified for that reason.

Trying to comprehend here...

> If you want to have a binhost, then --changed-deps will become
> "necessary" at some point. Let me draw you a picture, where a binhost
> would fail to provide the correct package:
> - Binhost builds on day 1 package XYZ(i.e. server updates from internet)
> - computer that would merge with packages from binhost is NOT updated(client does NO emerge on that day)
> - the dependencies are changed on day 2(i.e. XYZ is emerged onto server, with changed dependencies in the ebuild)
> - Binhost does NOT rebuild, because you do not have --changed-deps
> enabled on day 2*(what is "Binhost" here? The --changed-deps is specified on the client)*
> - Computer that merges from the binhost is updated on day 2 but will
> NOT use the binary package from binhost, because the dependencies do
> not match
> There are flags to ignore dependency mismatches, but the default would
> just not use the binary package.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

What does changed-deps mean, actually?

       --changed-deps [ y | n ]
              Tells  emerge  to  replace  installed  packages for which
the corresponding
              ebuild dependencies have changed since the packages were
built. ...

I presume it means that a package needed XYZ before, but now needs
XYZZ.  If I don't specify --changed-deps, that I might get a run-time
resolution problem.

Or, does it mean that the package specified XYZ.1 in an excess of
precision and the new version specifies XYZ.3?

I just ran into this:

--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
              Tells  emerge  to  ignore binary packages for which the
corresponding ebuild
              dependencies have changed since the packages were built.
In order  to  help
              avoid  issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies,
this option is auto-
              matically enabled unless the --usepkgonly option is
enabled.  Behavior  with
              respect to changed build-time dependencies is controlled
by the --with-bdeps
              option.

But I haven't figured out what it means yet.  In particular, what all
the stated implications mean.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 13:14:26 +0200
n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:

> On 5/16/21 12:53 PM, Andreas Fink wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:49:26 +0200
> > n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:

> >> Ah, I oversaw that.
> >>
> >> Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
> >> silly.
> >>
> >> It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
> >> disqualified for that reason.
> >>

> Trying to comprehend here...
>
> > If you want to have a binhost, then --changed-deps will become
> > "necessary" at some point. Let me draw you a picture, where a binhost
> > would fail to provide the correct package:
> > - Binhost builds on day 1 package XYZ(i.e. server updates from internet)
> > - computer that would merge with packages from binhost is NOT updated(client does NO emerge on that day)
> > - the dependencies are changed on day 2(i.e. XYZ is emerged onto server, with changed dependencies in the ebuild)
> > - Binhost does NOT rebuild, because you do not have --changed-deps
> > enabled on day 2*(what is "Binhost" here? The --changed-deps is specified on the client)*
> > - Computer that merges from the binhost is updated on day 2 but will
> > NOT use the binary package from binhost, because the dependencies do
> > not match
> > There are flags to ignore dependency mismatches, but the default would
> > just not use the binary package.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andreas
> >
> What does changed-deps mean, actually?
>
>        --changed-deps [ y | n ]
>               Tells  emerge  to  replace  installed  packages for which
> the corresponding
>               ebuild dependencies have changed since the packages were
> built. ...
>
> I presume it means that a package needed XYZ before, but now needs
> XYZZ.  If I don't specify --changed-deps, that I might get a run-time
> resolution problem.
Changed dependencies means any change in the *.ebuild file with respect
to the variables DEPEND/BDEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND, e.g. version of a
dependent package has changed, new package was added as dependency, a
package was removed as dependency. All are dependency changes. If the
changed *.ebuild file is commited to the portage tree WITHOUT a
version-bump/revision-bump, then emerge would NOT rebuild the package,
unless --changed-deps is given as an argument.

> Or, does it mean that the package specified XYZ.1 in an excess of
> precision and the new version specifies XYZ.3?
>
> I just ran into this:
>
> --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
>               Tells  emerge  to  ignore binary packages for which the
> corresponding ebuild
>               dependencies have changed since the packages were built.
> In order  to  help
>               avoid  issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies,
> this option is auto-
>               matically enabled unless the --usepkgonly option is
> enabled.  Behavior  with
>               respect to changed build-time dependencies is controlled
> by the --with-bdeps
>               option.
>
> But I haven't figured out what it means yet.  In particular, what all
> the stated implications mean.

This would be the option to ignore dependency mismatches of what the
binary package claims its dependencies are (which you could see in
$PKGDIR/Packages), and what the resolved dependencies are according to
the *.ebuild file as portage is seeing it right now.

Cheers
Andreas
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]

Thank you.
Re: What does emerge status R mean? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:21:03 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> > --changed-use would show the changed USE flag in the output, so it is
> > probably --changed-deps. The emerge man page explains just what the
> > flag does.
>

> I haven't been able to find that display yet.  I have found this:

Try adding --tree to your options.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sometimes too much to drink is not enough.