the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the current
ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge?  Any other options
necessary?
Re: how to clean up [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running out of space and I see I have many versions of all pkgs. Is
> the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the current
> ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge? Any other options
> necessary?

You might want to give
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles a
read.

--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
Re: how to clean up [ In reply to ]
Manuel McLure wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM n952162 <n952162@web.de
> <mailto:n952162@web.de>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running out of space and I see I have many versions of all
> pkgs.  Is
> the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the
> current
> ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge?  Any other
> options
> necessary?
>

> You might want to
> give https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles
> a read.
>
> --
> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@mclure.org <mailto:manuel@mclure.org>>
> <http://www.mclure.org>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft

That above is how I clean up mine as well.  When I do a large update, I
give it a few days to make sure everything works and then run the following:

eclean-dist -dq

eclean-pkg -dq

The -d option tells it to leave only what is installed and needed for
recovery.  It leaves a bare minimum of packages.  If you omit that, it
will leave any package versions that is still listed in the tree.
That's my recollection of it anyway.  You may want to start just running
with no options at all.  It's the most conservative method.  If you
still need more space, add -d to get more things deleted.  The -q just
means quiet.  I think it has a -p for pretend so you could run as -p and
then -pd to see the difference.  The options work the same for both
commands.

One of those should work.  I might add, the man page isn't bad.  It
gives quite a bit of details and even examples.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: how to clean up [ In reply to ]
On 5/13/21 11:58 PM, Manuel McLure wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM n952162 <n952162@web.de
> <mailto:n952162@web.de>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running out of space and I see I have many versions of all
> pkgs.  Is
> the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the
> current
> ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge?  Any other
> options
> necessary?
>

> You might want to give
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles
> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles>
> a read.
>
> --
> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@mclure.org <mailto:manuel@mclure.org>>
> <http://www.mclure.org <http://www.mclure.org>>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft

Thank you, that was it.
Re: how to clean up [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/21 12:36 AM, Dale wrote:
> Manuel McLure wrote:
>> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM n952162 <n952162@web.de
>> <mailto:n952162@web.de>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running out of space and I see I have many versions of all
>> pkgs.  Is
>> the proper way to get rid of all older tarballs - but retain the
>> current
>> ones - to simply use the --clean option with emerge?  Any other
>> options
>> necessary?
>>

>> You might want to
>> give https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Remove_obsoleted_distfiles
>> a read.
>>
>> --
>> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@mclure.org <mailto:manuel@mclure.org>>
>> <http://www.mclure.org>
>> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
>> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
>
> That above is how I clean up mine as well.  When I do a large update, I
> give it a few days to make sure everything works and then run the following:
>

> eclean-dist -dq
>
> eclean-pkg -dq
>

> The -d option tells it to leave only what is installed and needed for
> recovery.  It leaves a bare minimum of packages.  If you omit that, it
> will leave any package versions that is still listed in the tree.
> That's my recollection of it anyway.  You may want to start just running
> with no options at all.  It's the most conservative method.  If you
> still need more space, add -d to get more things deleted.  The -q just
> means quiet.  I think it has a -p for pretend so you could run as -p and
> then -pd to see the difference.  The options work the same for both
> commands.
>
> One of those should work.  I might add, the man page isn't bad.  It
> gives quite a bit of details and even examples.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Thank you.