Mailing List Archive

openrc-run for containers
Hi,

I've been running docker containers for a while, where I pass
"--restart=always" into the run command, so the containers restart
automatically after reboot. I want to have more control over the startup
order of the containers, ie integrate into openrc start/stop and put into
different runlevels.

I've had mixed success so far. I would be interested if someone else has
working solution. My runlevels look something like this:

rl100
container.registry
rl90
container.auth
container.router
boot

FYI, i've found systemd is doing it nicely, where systemctl start/stop
<CONTAINER> works as I would expect. I see a hardcoded dependency into the
container PID in the unit file (podman in this case):

[root@]# cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/container-libvirt-exporter.service

#

[Unit]
Description=Podman container-libvirtd-exporter.service
Documentation=man:podman-generate-systemd(1)

[Service]
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/bin/podman start libvirtd-exporter
ExecStop=/usr/bin/podman stop -t 10 libvirtd-exporter
KillMode=none
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/containers/storage/overlay-containers/9037e389e61ed01eb5dfce16fa750b6f0f01827a67640e4748e6527bbfcb6276/userdata/conmon.pid

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Kind regards,
Damo
Re: openrc-run for containers [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I've got the integration working how I imagined. It is using s6-svscan to
manage the containers, hopefully not abusing something. General idea is to
have supervision control over containers, ie to allow start up in a given
runlevel, have the ability to manage dependency start between given
containers and start/stop using openrc (referenced
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/S6).

Assuming containers are already running, ie given instance of whoami
container:

*docker run -p 80:80 -d -it --name whoami traefik/whoami*

The "run" script, /var/svc.d/whoami/run:

#!/bin/execlineb -P
exec docker start -a whoami

The "finish" script, /var/svc.d/whoami/finish

*#!/bin/execlineb -Ps6-permafailon 60 1 2 exit*

The init.d, conf.d. Cat /etc/conf.d/container.whoami:

*INSTANCE=whoami*

Cat /etc/init.d/container:

*#!/sbin/openrc-rundescription="A supervised test service with a
logger"supervisor=s6s6_service_path=/run/openrc/s6-scan/${INSTANCE}depend()
{ need s6-svscan}stop_pre() { docker stop ${INSTANCE}}*

Finally, [openrc-run, ln -s /etc/init.d/container
/etc/init.d/container.whoami] /etc/initd.d/container.whoami start, stop
work as expected (docker ps |grep whoami does not return anything, after
running "/etc/init.d/container.whoami stop"):

List containers
root@ # *docker ps |grep whoami*
68bd2ed585ed traefik/whoami
"/whoami" 35 minutes ago Up 34 minutes
0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp whoami

root@ # *./container.whoami stop*
container.whoami |whoami
container.whoami | * Stopping container.whoami ...

[ ok ]

root@ # *docker ps |grep whoami*

root@ #* ./container.whoami start*
container.whoami | * Starting container.whoami ...

[ ok ]
root@ # docker ps |grep whoami
68bd2ed585ed traefik/whoami
"/whoami" 35 minutes ago Up 3 seconds
0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp whoami

root@ # *ps xf -o pid,ppid,pgrp,euser,args*
PID PPID PGRP EUSER COMMAND
21056 1 21056 root /bin/s6-svscan /run/openrc/s6-scan
21058 21056 21056 root \_ s6-supervise whoami/log
21059 21056 21056 root \_ s6-supervise whoami
27584 21059 27584 root | \_ docker start -a whoami

Similar to above, using s6-svstat:

root@ # *s6-svstat /run/openrc/s6-scan/whoami*
up (pid 27584) 752 seconds

root@ # *./container.whoami stop*
container.whoami |whoami
container.whoami | * Stopping container.whoami ...

[ ok ]

root@ #* s6-svstat /run/openrc/s6-scan/whoami*
down (exitcode 2) 1 seconds, normally up, ready 1 seconds

root@ #* ./container.whoami start*
container.whoami | * Starting container.whoami ...

[ ok ]
root@h003 /e/init.d # s6-svstat /run/openrc/s6-scan/whoami
up (pid 6722) 3 seconds

The goal of all this has been to incorporate containers into
/etc/runlevels. I am not sure if there is a better way, have I missed
something by not using s6-overlay or the like? I am not familiar enough to
know.

An outstanding issue, in the s6 run script, i would like to parametrize the
instance name, I don't know how to do it, as it is currently hard coded:

The "run" script, /var/svc.d/whoami/run:

#!/bin/execlineb -P
exec docker start -a *whoami*

But once that is done, then all running containers could be incorporated by
updating the conf.d for INSTANCE name, templating a /var/svc.d/<INSTANCE>
folder and linking to /etc/init.d/container, ie:

/etc/init.d/container.whoami
/etc/init.d/container.cadvisor
/etc/init.d/container.traefik

[put under control of s6]
/etc/runlevels/20/s6-svscan

This is kind of asymmetric, ie container start is in s6, whereas stop
[docker] is in openrc, but I am not seeing a different way, the goal is to
have robust services running. When system boots, s6-scan will start all the
containers automatically, but then further operations, ie for things like
manual failover etc, is possible using standard platform openrc -
effectively docker - start/stop commands.

kind regards

Re: openrc-run for containers [ In reply to ]
Correction: the *s6_service_path* parameter in the parent init.d service,
/etc/init.d/container, needs to be changed from
/run/openrc/s6-scan/${INSTANCE} to /var/svc.d/${INSTANCE}

*#!/sbin/openrc-rundescription="A supervised test service with a
logger"supervisor=s6**s6_service_path=/var/svc.d/${INSTANCE}*

*depend() {*
* need s6-svscan*
*}*

*stop_pre() {*
* docker stop ${INSTANCE}*
*}*

NB; In runlevels, dont need to include s6-svscan. Only need to include the
service to start (s6-svscan will start as a service dependency).

Further info (go from runlevel 90 > 100 > back to 90):

root@/etc/runlevels #
* ls -ld node/*lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 May 25 06:17 100/container.whoami
-> /etc/init.d/container.*whoami
*lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 15 04:32 100/90 -> ../90*

*root@/etc/runlevels # openrc 100container.*whoami* |/var/svc.d/*whoami
*container.*whoami* | * Starting container.*whoami* ...*

*
[ ok ]root@h003
/e/runlevels # docker ps -aCONTAINER ID IMAGE
COMMAND CREATED STATUS
PORTS NAMES68bd2ed585ed
traefik/whoami "/whoami"
25 hours ago Up 1 minute 0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp
whoamiroot@/e/runlevels # openrc 90container.*whoami*

*root@/etc/runlevels # docker ps -aCONTAINER ID IMAGE
COMMAND CREATED
STATUS PORTS NAMES68bd2ed585ed