Mailing List Archive

[FIXED] Re: Multiple instances of Dolphin automagically appear upon login
On 25/4/21 11:34 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 7:12 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> A reworking of the subject line from my earlier post regarding
> pods of
>> Dolphins.......

[snip]
[snip]

> To me it's suggestive of something messed up in a config file.
>
> What does your .config/dolphinrc file look like?
>
> At the level of KDE in general I have no idea what config file/files it
> looks at when configuring the complete desktop environment but that would
> be the next thing I'd go looking for.
>
> I'm assuming (bad idea) that you've done a very simple experiment like
> closing all the dolphin windows and immediately logging out of KDE?
>
> - Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't actually dolphinrc but the
~/.config/session dir that contained the problem. It appears that just
during my normal day to day usage of the machine, I would open Dolphin,
use it, then close it, rinse, repeat. The GUI would close down but some
part of Dolphin would remain running. This resulted in, the time I
finally spotted this, 28 instances of this "zombie" running.

When the machine was shutdown at the end of the day, these 20 odd
zombies would write a file into "session" for start up next time - which
they in turn did the next time the machine started up, but this time as
the full GUI + zombie.

Cleaning out session and killing all of the zombies fixed the problem.

Regards,
Andrew
Re: [FIXED] Re: Multiple instances of Dolphin automagically appear upon login [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:06 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:

> On 25/4/21 11:34 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 7:12 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >> A reworking of the subject line from my earlier post regarding
> > pods of
> >> Dolphins.......
>
> [snip]
> [snip]
>

> > To me it's suggestive of something messed up in a config file.
> >
> > What does your .config/dolphinrc file look like?
> >
> > At the level of KDE in general I have no idea what config file/files it
> > looks at when configuring the complete desktop environment but that
would
> > be the next thing I'd go looking for.
> >
> > I'm assuming (bad idea) that you've done a very simple experiment like
> > closing all the dolphin windows and immediately logging out of KDE?
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> Mark,
> Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't actually dolphinrc but the
> ~/.config/session dir that contained the problem. It appears that just
> during my normal day to day usage of the machine, I would open Dolphin,
> use it, then close it, rinse, repeat. The GUI would close down but some
> part of Dolphin would remain running. This resulted in, the time I
> finally spotted this, 28 instances of this "zombie" running.
>
> When the machine was shutdown at the end of the day, these 20 odd
> zombies would write a file into "session" for start up next time - which
> they in turn did the next time the machine started up, but this time as
> the full GUI + zombie.
>
> Cleaning out session and killing all of the zombies fixed the
problem.

> Regards,
> Andrew

Andrew,
I'm glad you found the root cause and provided back information that
should be quite helpful should anyone else who runs into this issue.

Cheers,
Mark