Mailing List Archive

why resizing newsboat's terminal won't show more text?
hi. when i open newsboat in a small window, it
fills it with text, and eats the remaining text
as expected (so that there is a single news item
per line. fine).

but:
1. on arch linux's package, when i enlarge the
window, more text automatically shows. nice.

2. on gentoo linux's installation, when i do
the same as arch's, text is still eaten, so i
end up manually redrawing the terminal.

any idea how should i move from here to figure out
what's the cause?

(more info in appendix below)

ty,
cm.

APPENDIX:

1. emerge -pv ncurses:

[ebuild R ] sys-libs/ncurses-6.2_p20210123:0/6::gentoo USE="cxx (split-usr) (tinfo) (unicode) -ada -debug -doc -gpm -minimal -profile -static-libs -test -threads -trace" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB

2. newsboat -v

newsboat 2.21.0
System: Linux 5.11.16-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)
Compiler: g++ 10.2.0
ncurses: ncurses 6.2.20210123 (compiled with 6.2)
libcurl: libcurl/7.76.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1k zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.43.0 (compiled with 7.73.0)
SQLite: 3.35.4 (compiled with 3.33.0)
libxml2: compiled with 2.9.10
Re: why resizing newsboat's terminal won't show more text? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 10:04:19 BST caveman ?????? ????????? ??? wrote:
> hi. when i open newsboat in a small window, it
> fills it with text, and eats the remaining text
> as expected (so that there is a single news item
> per line. fine).
>
> but:
> 1. on arch linux's package, when i enlarge the
> window, more text automatically shows. nice.
>
> 2. on gentoo linux's installation, when i do
> the same as arch's, text is still eaten, so i
> end up manually redrawing the terminal.
>
> any idea how should i move from here to figure out
> what's the cause?
>
> (more info in appendix below)
>
> ty,
> cm.

Are you using the same terminal in both OS? I have found terminals use
different mechanisms to flow/redraw lines, as long as the application output
allows it, with urxvt being better in this respect than xterm. However, I've
not used newsboat to have observed how it behaves within urxvt.
Re: why resizing newsboat's terminal won't show more text? [ In reply to ]
yes, both use urxvt.

gentoo's is x11-terms/rxvt-unicode-9.22-r8::gentoo

enabled use flags:
256-color blink font-styles gdk-pixbuf
mousewheel perl startup-notification unicode3
utmp wtmp xft

not enabled use flags:
-24-bit-color -fading-colors -iso14755
-sgrmouse