some Googling and will do some more but I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Andrew
Re: I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up [ In reply to ]
Am Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 08:19:28PM +0800 schrieb Andrew Lowe:
> Hi all,
> My desktop machine is up to date ~amd64 along with KDE. A few days ago I
> think I had, amongst others, a Dolphin update. Now when I turn on the
> machine and log into KDE, I find that I have, for example the login I did to
> write this email, 15 instances, hence the pod pun, of Dolphin running. I
> have not tried to "customise" Dolphin or set anything to autostart in the
> last couple of days.
>
> Has any one got any ideas as to why this would be happening? I've done some
> Googling and will do some more but I can't find anything.

I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
startup (open system settings and look for session).

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

What is the Egyptian work for cowshed? – Moo-barrack.
Re: I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up [ In reply to ]
Am Sat, May 01, 2021 at 01:24:23AM +0200 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:

> I also have experienced something like it.

Whoopsie, I’m reading up on the list top to bottom and overlooked that your
question was already answered. But it’s good to know my assumption was right
at least. :)

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Fat stains become like new if they are regularly treated with butter.
Re: I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 May 2021 01:24:23 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
> coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
> management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
> where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
> ~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
> startup (open system settings and look for session).

Did you try adding Wireshark to the Don't restore these applications list
in System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session?

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses
Re: I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up [ In reply to ]
On 1/5/21 3:04 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2021 01:24:23 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
>
>> I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
>> coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
>> management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
>> where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
>> ~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
>> startup (open system settings and look for session).
>
> Did you try adding Wireshark to the Don't restore these applications list
> in System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session?

Ha, the problem is back, dolphins everywhere. The problem seems to be,
for me at least, that when I close Dolphin after doing a bit of
file/folder stuff that the GUI shuts down but some zombie part remains.
Just now, when I fired the machine up, I had three instances of Dolphin
running. I closed all three, little red button top right hand corner and
did a:

ps -A | grep dolphin | wc -l

Sure enough 3 zombies. Open Dolphin, do some "stuff", close Dolphin, do
the "ps" command above and I' ve now got 4 zombies. Do this a couple of
more times and I now have 8 - 9 zombies.

Clean out ~/.config/session, ie it's now empty, and shut the machine
down. Restart machine and hey presto, 8 - 9 Dolphins up and running and
~/.config/session contains 8 - 9 Dolphin "restart config", or whatever
they are called, files.

I think it is time to head over to some KDE forum and ask questions there.

Andrew
Re: I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:49 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:

> On 1/5/21 3:04 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 May 2021 01:24:23 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> >
> >> I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
> >> coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
> >> management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
> >> where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
> >> ~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
> >> startup (open system settings and look for session).
> >
> > Did you try adding Wireshark to the Don't restore these applications
list
> > in System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session?
> >

> Ha, the problem is back, dolphins everywhere. The problem seems to be,
> for me at least, that when I close Dolphin after doing a bit of
> file/folder stuff that the GUI shuts down but some zombie part remains.
> Just now, when I fired the machine up, I had three instances of Dolphin
> running. I closed all three, little red button top right hand corner and
> did a:
>
> ps -A | grep dolphin | wc -l
>
> Sure enough 3 zombies. Open Dolphin, do some "stuff", close Dolphin, do
> the "ps" command above and I' ve now got 4 zombies. Do this a couple of
> more times and I now have 8 - 9 zombies.
>
> Clean out ~/.config/session, ie it's now empty, and shut the
machine
> down. Restart machine and hey presto, 8 - 9 Dolphins up and running and
> ~/.config/session contains 8 - 9 Dolphin "restart config", or whatever
> they are called, files.
>
> I think it is time to head over to some KDE forum and ask
questions there.

> Andrew

Being that you're most probably running Gentoo I would ask what your
flag/build options might be? If you're like so many people here you
probably aren't running a completely stable build. Possibly some flag
is contributing to this problem? In a standard KDE forum where most
folks will (like me) just be running a standard distro (like me - Kubuntu)
they will (like me) tell you they don't see the problem...

- Mark

- Mark