Mailing List Archive

Re: Monitor complains of no HDMI signal on wake
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:48 AM Mike Kaliman <kaliman.mike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I built a desktop that dual-boots Windows and Gentoo with rEFInd and each
> OS has its own hard drive. It's running an ASUS X570 motherboard along with
> an Nvidia RTX 2060 Super GPU. The GPU has 1 DisplayPort, 2 HDMI ports, and
> 1 DVI port. The processor is a Ryzen 3900X which doesn't have integrated
> graphics.
> I have two monitors plugged in and both are ASUS VG289Q. Each monitor has
> 2 HDMI ports and 1 DisplayPort. They're 4K monitors and I run them both as
> 3840x2160.
> I'm on "~amd64" and running the 5.11.15 kernel. The config is attached.
> I run the proprietary nvidia drivers and rebuild them on every kernel
> rebuild (as of writing this email, it's
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-465.19.01, with package USE flags `X driver
> tools`).
> General USE flags: `nvidia X wayland gles2 unicode lm-sensors pulseaudio
> acl dbus alsa xvmc -amdgpu -nouveau -intel -radeon`

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Multiple_monitors suggests you need the
xinerama USE flag, so try adding that then emerge -avuUD world.

FWIW xvmc has mostly gone away so you may find vdpau more useful.
Re: Monitor complains of no HDMI signal on wake [ In reply to ]
Thanks for pointing me to that page, I didn't catch that flag. I added
those in although I still get the lack of signal upon wake, sadly. It'll
probably prevent jankiness elsewhere though. My next step is trying an
active HDMI to Displayport adapter.

Re: Monitor complains of no HDMI signal on wake [ In reply to ]
My active HDMI to Displayport adapter just happened to arrive and it seems
to solve the problem. I'm able to hop on to GDM and my LHS monitor is
active. When the screens shut off after inactivity and wake again, I'm able
to get a signal.
Here's the adapter from Club 3D:
https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter/dp/B085YBR936
Do *not* buy one from Foinnex. It advertises as being 4k@60Hz capable but