Mailing List Archive

supreme annoyances:

I have to wait during boot while DHCP tries to bring up eth0  (cable is
plugged into eth1) and then manually turn off eth0 and turn on eth1 each
time, can't find where this behavior is configured, /etc is a MAZE

B.

Everery. Single. Time. I have to run pavucontrol imediately after
launching X11 and force select the working sound config, it used to
always work but on this motherboard it refuses to save this working
setting and forces me to manually do it Every F'ing Time.

C.

Now this is a Real Problem, after updating a few days ago, THE GODDAMN
FONTS DO NOT RENDER, in half of the websites I visit with chromium. Rn
there is massive wierdness going on with chromium and glibc

D.

WTF, I just installed sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.11.15, rebooted, ran
update again, and now it's unavailable, this is like 3 days.. Updating
kernel sucks because of nvidia drivers. =\

--
The vaccine is a LIE.
#EggCrisis
Re: supreme annoyances: [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 09:42:14 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:

> I have to wait during boot while DHCP tries to bring up eth0  (cable is
> plugged into eth1) and then manually turn off eth0 and turn on eth1 each
> time, can't find where this behavior is configured, /etc is a MAZE

rc-update add net.eth1 default
rc-update del net.eth0 default

How long have you been using Gentoo?

> WTF, I just installed sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.11.15, rebooted, ran
> update again, and now it's unavailable, this is like 3 days.. Updating
> kernel sucks because of nvidia drivers. =\

And? As long as 5.11.15 works for you and has no security issues, it's
presence or otherwise on the tree has no bearing on using it.

--
Neil Bothwick

I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?
Re: supreme annoyances: [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 22 April 2021 14:42:14 BST Alan Grimes wrote:

> I have to wait during boot while DHCP tries to bring up eth0 (cable is
> plugged into eth1) and then manually turn off eth0 and turn on eth1 each
> time, can't find where this behavior is configured, /etc is a MAZE

Set a desired metric for the interfaces in your /etc/conf.d/net, following
guidance in /usr/share/doc/netifrc-*/net.example.bz2 to change their
priorities, or disable with rc-update the interface you have no use for and do
not want to have it starting up regularly.

> B.
>
> Everery. Single. Time. I have to run pavucontrol imediately after
> launching X11 and force select the working sound config, it used to
> always work but on this motherboard it refuses to save this working
> setting and forces me to manually do it Every F'ing Time.

Check your user is a member of the audio group. If you're not using one of
the desktop profiles (eselect profile list) then also check the ACLs for /dev/
snd/controlC*.

Check the pavucontrol configuration tab and disable the built-in audio profile
corresponding to the audio card you don't want to use (e.g. HDMI) - if this is
the setting which you want to change.

Take a look at ~/.config/pulse and tweak manually the settings you need/want
per user, or for system wide settings walk through /etc/pulse/.

I'm not at a pulse equipped PC at present to dig any deeper, but the above
should set you on the right path. This reference page is also useful, in case
you're missing something in your setup:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio

> C.
>
> Now this is a Real Problem, after updating a few days ago, THE GODDAMN
> FONTS DO NOT RENDER, in half of the websites I visit with chromium. Rn
> there is massive wierdness going on with chromium and glibc

Chromium is a beast to compile and have stopped using it. In the past I had
come across similar bugs, which were fixed on a subsequent version. Using
stable versions minimises such problems, but from what I recall didn't do away
with hiccups 100% of the time. Alternative browsers may be the way to go, at
least temporarily.

> D.
>
> WTF, I just installed sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-5.11.15, rebooted, ran
> update again, and now it's unavailable, this is like 3 days.. Updating
> kernel sucks because of nvidia drivers. =\

Vanilla sources are not stable, so they'll drop off the tree when a better/
newer minor version shows up.