Mailing List Archive

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)
On 4/7/21 6:24 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> This is a new installation and I'm getting an error on starting X
>
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)
>
> (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused

[snip]

If anybody have or get this "AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics"
lspci | grep -i VGA
09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c8)

In order to make it work, setting in kernel (under Graphics)
< > ATI Radeon"
< M > AMD GPU"

In make.confg:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeonsi"
(radeon or amdgpu - does not work.

emerge -avq x11-base/xorg-drivers media-libs/mesa
Re: [SOLVED] Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied) [ In reply to ]
On 4/8/21 11:01 AM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> On 4/7/21 6:24 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> This is a new installation and I'm getting an error on starting X
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)
>>
>> (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
>> xinit: giving up
>> xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
>>
> [snip]
>
> If anybody have or get this "AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics"
> lspci | grep -i VGA
> 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c8)
>
> In order to make it work, setting in kernel (under Graphics)
> < > ATI Radeon"
> < M > AMD GPU"
>
> In make.confg:
> VIDEO_CARDS="radeonsi"
> (radeon or amdgpu - does not work.
>
> emerge -avq x11-base/xorg-drivers media-libs/mesa

I forgot to mention (if someone is using grub)
/etc/default/grub - has to be installed with:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="amd_iommu=on iommu=pt"