worrying still is the same happening to my backup backup! What are the
chances? Murphy surely does rule...

Peter.
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 14:27, Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there really a problem with the stage-3?

I think the stages are auto-generated, so I'm sure there could be
problematic versions. Maybe try one from a different date.

Also, post the error output if you want input on the emerge failures.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:27:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
> gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash,
> and that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla
> amd64 and emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge
> -uaDvN @world I get a circular dependency involving elt-patches and
> xz-utils. No amount of unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor
> does --excluding one of them, because portage just refuses to do that.

Try omitting -D and -N to reduce the number of packages being rebuilt. If
that doesn't help, post the output here.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
(Albert Einstein)
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 8 April 2021 16:47:05 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:27:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
> > gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash,
> > and that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla
> > amd64 and emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge
> > -uaDvN @world I get a circular dependency involving elt-patches and
> > xz-utils. No amount of unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor
> > does --excluding one of them, because portage just refuses to do that.
>
> Try omitting -D and -N to reduce the number of packages being rebuilt. If
> that doesn't help, post the output here.

I think I must have had a bad stage tarball. At any rate, that problem doesn't
occur now. Instead I get various ruby packages failing because they can't find
the gems directory, or some other problem.

There was once a news item about ruby-30, but I don't see it any more. At the
time I added this:

# cat /etc/portage/package.use/ruby
dev-ruby/* ruby_targets_ruby30
virtual/rubygems ruby_targets_ruby30
virtual/ruby-ssl ruby_targets_ruby30

That worked nicely, but not on a new system. I've tried changing the 20 to 27
and I've tried removing the file, but neither helps. Eselecting ruby versions
doesn't either.

Peter.
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 6:33 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I think I must have had a bad stage tarball. At any rate, that problem doesn't
> occur now.

Possible, though it seems more likely that it was a bad repo that you
synced. The problem would go away the next time you ran emerge --sync
(whether on the same stage3 or with a new one).

The stable repo is less likely to have this problem, but I don't think
it is available via rsync. (At least, the last time I looked into it
we weren't using the stable repo for rsync.)

--
Rich
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 11 April 2021 11:33:22 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 April 2021 16:47:05 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:27:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
> > > gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash,
> > > and that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla
> > > amd64 and emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge
> > > -uaDvN @world I get a circular dependency involving elt-patches and
> > > xz-utils. No amount of unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor
> > > does --excluding one of them, because portage just refuses to do that.
> >
> > Try omitting -D and -N to reduce the number of packages being rebuilt. If
> > that doesn't help, post the output here.
>
> I think I must have had a bad stage tarball. At any rate, that problem
> doesn't occur now. Instead I get various ruby packages failing because they
> can't find the gems directory, or some other problem.
>
> There was once a news item about ruby-30, but I don't see it any more. At
> the time I added this:
>
> # cat /etc/portage/package.use/ruby
> dev-ruby/* ruby_targets_ruby30
> virtual/rubygems ruby_targets_ruby30
> virtual/ruby-ssl ruby_targets_ruby30
>
> That worked nicely, but not on a new system. I've tried changing the 20 to
> 27 and I've tried removing the file, but neither helps. Eselecting ruby
> versions doesn't either.

Typo: 30, not 20.

Peter.
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 11 April 2021 12:02:27 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 6:33 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:
> > I think I must have had a bad stage tarball. At any rate, that problem
> > doesn't occur now.
>
> Possible, though it seems more likely that it was a bad repo that you
> synced. The problem would go away the next time you ran emerge --sync
> (whether on the same stage3 or with a new one).

It could also have been damaged in transit. I'm afraid I've got out of the
habit of checking the downloads. Anyway, I've fetched it again and checked it
this time.

Peter.
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 8 April 2021 16:47:05 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:27:51 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
> > gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash,
> > and that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla
> > amd64 and emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge
> > -uaDvN @world I get a circular dependency involving elt-patches and
> > xz-utils. No amount of unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor
> > does --excluding one of them, because portage just refuses to do that.
>
> Try omitting -D and -N to reduce the number of packages being rebuilt. If
> that doesn't help, post the output here.

Okay, step by step. First I chose the basic make.profile, number 1, and
installed my base system set - everything that doesn't need a GUI. Then I
switched to the basic desktop profile, number 5 and ran a -uav @world. So far
so good, but then I attempted to install a basic set of GUI packages -
everything but a DE. The command was 'emerge -uav @xorg'. I got this:

--->8
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0/work ...
* Running prepare phase for all ...
* Running prepare phase for all ...
* Running source copy phase for ruby27 ...
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0/work ...
* Running configure phase for ruby27 ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0/work ...
* Running compile phase for ruby27 ...
* Running compile phase for all ...
>>> Source compiled.
* Skipping make test/check due to ebuild restriction.
>>> Test phase [disabled because of RESTRICT=test]: dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0

>>> Install dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0 into /var/tmp/portage/dev-ruby/net-
telnet-0.2.0/image/
* Running install phase for ruby27 ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
3: from <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `<internal:gem_prelude>'
2: from <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `require'
1: from /usr/lib64/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems.rb:16:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/lib64/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems.rb:16:in `require': cannot load such file --
rubygems/compatibility (LoadError)
* Unable to find the gems dir
* ERROR: dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0::gentoo failed (install phase):
* Unable to find the gems dir
--->8

There seems to be an inconsistency in the ruby packaging. Is there anything I
can do to evade it? I've attached the package-set files I use when building a
new system, for info.

Peter.
Re: Can't install a new system [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 12 April 2021 12:01:28 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Okay, step by step. First I chose the basic make.profile, number 1, and
> installed my base system set - everything that doesn't need a GUI. Then I
> switched to the basic desktop profile, number 5 and ran a -uav @world. So
> far so good, but then I attempted to install a basic set of GUI packages -
> everything but a DE. The command was 'emerge -uav @xorg'. I got this:
>
> --->8

> * Running prepare phase for all ...
> * Running prepare phase for all ...
> * Running source copy phase for ruby27 ...

> * Running configure phase for ruby27 ...

> * Running compile phase for ruby27 ...
> * Running compile phase for all ...

> * Skipping make test/check due to ebuild restriction.

> telnet-0.2.0/image/
> * Running install phase for ruby27 ...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> 3: from <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `<internal:gem_prelude>'
> 2: from <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `require'
> 1: from /usr/lib64/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems.rb:16:in `<top (required)>'
> /usr/lib64/ruby/2.7.0/rubygems.rb:16:in `require': cannot load such file --
> rubygems/compatibility (LoadError)
> * Unable to find the gems dir
> * ERROR: dev-ruby/net-telnet-0.2.0::gentoo failed (install phase):
> * Unable to find the gems dir
> --->8
>
> There seems to be an inconsistency in the ruby packaging. Is there anything
> I can do to evade it? I've attached the package-set files I use when
> building a new system, for info.

This doesn't happen in a stable system, only in ~amd64. It's consistent there,
though, so I'm tempted to raise a bug report.

Peter.