a problem: when I 'make install' I get 'Cannot find LILO'. Of course it can't,
but why is it wanted?

$ uname -a
Linux peak 5.4.97-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Feb 21 22:53:16 GMT 2021 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Another x86_64 box Just Works, so I suppose I must have something wrong on
this one.

Clues, anyone?

Peter.
Re: Cannot find LILO [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:37 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Today's update brought in sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-5.10.27, but it comes with
> a problem: when I 'make install' I get 'Cannot find LILO'. Of course it can't,
> but why is it wanted?
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux peak 5.4.97-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Feb 21 22:53:16 GMT 2021 x86_64
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> Another x86_64 box Just Works, so I suppose I must have something wrong on
> this one.
>
> Clues, anyone?

Your ARCH is set to i386 most likely. Maybe it's a CHOST configuration issue.

--
konsolebox
Re: Cannot find LILO [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 2 April 2021 17:29:25 BST konsolebox wrote:

> Your ARCH is set to i386 most likely. Maybe it's a CHOST configuration
> issue.

No, it isn't either of those. Nothing has changed between this kernel and
others. Oddly, 'make install' works if I chroot into this system from, e.g., a
rescue CD, just not natively.

I tried to install a new system, but some packages refuse to build so I've
restored the original system for now.

Still no idea what's wrong. Does anyone else suffer inexplicable things going
bump in the night at irregular intervals? My jaundiced eye is glaring at my
EFI BIOS, which I'm loath to tinker with.

Peter.
Re: Cannot find LILO [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 3:35 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, 2 April 2021 17:29:25 BST konsolebox wrote:
>
> > Your ARCH is set to i386 most likely. Maybe it's a CHOST configuration
> > issue.
>
> No, it isn't either of those. Nothing has changed between this kernel and
> others. Oddly, 'make install' works if I chroot into this system from, e.g., a
> rescue CD, just not natively.

Yes I just found out the value of ARCH doesn't really have anything to
do with it.

Your system might be missing /sbin/installkernel while you run 'make
install'. It's called by arch/x86/boot/install.sh if it exists and is
executable. Otherwise install.sh simply tries to install using LILO.
It's part of the sys-kernel/installkernel-gentoo package which may not
be installed for some reason, or the environment you run 'make
install' with is not Gentoo and /sbin/installkernel simply doesn't
exist there.

--
konsolebox