anybody comment on the pros and cons of either package?

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 16:22:45 +0100, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

> in a recent Heise article (in German) at
>
> https://www.heise.de/news/SystemRescue-8-00-GnuPG-Schluessel-im-Notfall-einfach-ausdrucken-5078896.html?wt_mc=nl.red.ho.ho-nl-windows.2021-03-15.link.link
>
> about "SystemRescue" the author mentions among other things that the old
> packet "exfat-utils" has been replaced with the more modern alternative
> "exfatprogs".
>
> Gentoo provides both packages. Up to now I have installed "exfat-utils"
> most probably due to some recommendation in the Gentoo Handbook. Can
> anybody comment on the pros and cons of either package?

Looking at the github readme, it wold appear that exfat-progs is for use
with the new in-kernel exfat fs, while exfat-utils is a companion to the
older FUSE implementation of exfat.

--
Neil Bothwick

WORM: (n.) acronym for Write Once, Read Mangled. Used to describe a
normally-functioning computer disk of the very latest design.
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
On 3/20/21 9:52 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Looking at the github readme, it wold appear that exfat-progs is for
> use with the new in-kernel exfat fs, while exfat-utils is a companion
> to the older FUSE implementation of exfat.

Maybe I need more caffeine, but I can't see the /direct/ relationship
between /user/ /space/ utilities and /kernel/ /space/ support for the
same file system.

Is there something that I'm missing that would prevent exfat-progs (user
space) with FUSE exFAT (kernel space) -or- exfat-utils (user space) with
in-kernel exFAT (kernel space)?

#confused

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:27:23 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:

> > Looking at the github readme, it wold appear that exfat-progs is for
> > use with the new in-kernel exfat fs, while exfat-utils is a companion
> > to the older FUSE implementation of exfat.
>
> Maybe I need more caffeine, but I can't see the /direct/ relationship
> between /user/ /space/ utilities and /kernel/ /space/ support for the
> same file system.

> Is there something that I'm missing that would prevent exfat-progs
> (user space) with FUSE exFAT (kernel space) -or- exfat-utils (user
> space) with in-kernel exFAT (kernel space)?

I'm not saying there is a direct relationship, but the exfat-progs readme
states it is for use with the new in-kernel fs while exfat-utils is from
the same devs as the FUSE module.

--
Neil Bothwick

Processor: (n.) a device for converting sense to nonsense at the speed
of electricity, or (rarely) the reverse.
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
On 3/20/21 11:35 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> I'm not saying there is a direct relationship, but the exfat-progs
> readme states it is for use with the new in-kernel fs while exfat-utils
> is from the same devs as the FUSE module.

Okay.

I'll accept what's written on the tin as what the targeted environment is.

I feel like what's written on the tin doesn't sufficiently address the
OP's question:

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:27:23 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
>>> Looking at the github readme, it wold appear that exfat-progs is for
>>> use with the new in-kernel exfat fs, while exfat-utils is a companion
>>> to the older FUSE implementation of exfat.
>> Maybe I need more caffeine, but I can't see the /direct/ relationship
>> between /user/ /space/ utilities and /kernel/ /space/ support for the
>> same file system.
>> Is there something that I'm missing that would prevent exfat-progs
>> (user space) with FUSE exFAT (kernel space) -or- exfat-utils (user
>> space) with in-kernel exFAT (kernel space)?
> I'm not saying there is a direct relationship, but the exfat-progs readme
> states it is for use with the new in-kernel fs while exfat-utils is from
> the same devs as the FUSE module.

If it helps any, the newer one requires a 5.7 or higher kernel.? It
sounds to me like one is old school while the newer one is more *nifty*
with *new ways* of doing things.? Your choice which is better.? I'd have
to have a kernel upgrade before I could switch.?

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)? :-)?
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 20 March 2021 17:45:17 GMT Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe I need more caffeine, but I can't see the /direct/ relationship
> >> between /user/ /space/ utilities and /kernel/ /space/ support for the
> >> same file system.
> >> Is there something that I'm missing that would prevent exfat-progs
> >> (user space) with FUSE exFAT (kernel space) -or- exfat-utils (user
> >> space) with in-kernel exFAT (kernel space)?
> >
> > I'm not saying there is a direct relationship, but the exfat-progs readme
> > states it is for use with the new in-kernel fs while exfat-utils is from
> > the same devs as the FUSE module.
>
> If it helps any, the newer one requires a 5.7 or higher kernel. It
> sounds to me like one is old school while the newer one is more *nifty*
> with *new ways* of doing things. Your choice which is better. I'd have
> to have a kernel upgrade before I could switch.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Well, I'm on 5.4.97-gentoo kernel and have removed the sys-fs/fuse-exfat and
sys-fs/exfat-utils packages. I have emerged sys-fs/exfatprogs and have no
problem using exfatlabel and dump.exfat to access an exfat fs on a USB stick.

All I can confirm is ... it works here and I haven't noticed a difference with
the exfat-utils package. :-)
Re: "sys-fs/exfat-utils" vs "sys-fs/exfatprogs" [ In reply to ]
Dale,

On Saturday, 2021-03-20 12:45:17 -0500, you wrote:

> If it helps any, the newer one requires a 5.7 or higher kernel.

Ok, since I'm currently only using stable kernels, I'm on 5.4, and thus
I'll probably still have to wait a little before dumping "sys-fs/exfat-
utils" in favour of "sys-fs/exfatprogs".

Thanks for clarifying :-)

Sincerely,
Rainer

PS: STAY SOUND, all of you.