you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: problem mounting windows share on samba [ In reply to ]
On March 18, 2021 11:15:18 AM GMT+01:00, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>Hi. I have a strange problem mounting a windows share on my gentoo
>box. I have two windows disks that I can share c and d drive. If I
>write
>mount.smb3 //ccs2/c the c drive is mounted. If I say mount.smb3
>//ccs2/d the system does not complain, but I get the c drive
>instead. In both cases it asks for the password and I give it.
>
>Windows version is 20h2 and samba version is 4.13.4.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Linux doesn't care about "C:/" or anything. Just mount it like you would with any other disk in a Linux based operating system:

```
# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows
```

Or whatever device name it is and wherever you may want to mount it.

--
Hund
Re: problem mounting windows share on samba [ In reply to ]
On March 18, 2021 11:15:18 AM GMT+01:00, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>Hi. I have a strange problem mounting a windows share on my gentoo
>box. I have two windows disks that I can share c and d drive. If I
>write
>mount.smb3 //ccs2/c the c drive is mounted. If I say mount.smb3
>//ccs2/d the system does not complain, but I get the c drive
>instead. In both cases it asks for the password and I give it.
>
>Windows version is 20h2 and samba version is 4.13.4.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Just ignore my previous message. I read your message a bit fast. I thought it was a local device.

My apologies!

--
Hund
Re: problem mounting windows share on samba [ In reply to ]
On 2021-03-18, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have a strange problem mounting a windows share on my gentoo
> box. I have two windows disks that I can share c and d drive. If I
> write
> mount.smb3 //ccs2/c the c drive is mounted. If I say mount.smb3
> //ccs2/d the system does not complain, but I get the c drive
> instead. In both cases it asks for the password and I give it.
>
> Windows version is 20h2 and samba version is 4.13.4.

This is probably irrelevant, but I thought everybody switched from the
samba client to cifs many years ago. Is there some particular reason
you're using samba instead of the kernel's cifs support?

--
Grant
Re: Re: problem mounting windows share on samba [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 11:48:46 -0400,
Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2021-03-18, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I have a strange problem mounting a windows share on my gentoo
> > box. I have two windows disks that I can share c and d drive. If I
> > write
> > mount.smb3 //ccs2/c the c drive is mounted. If I say mount.smb3
> > //ccs2/d the system does not complain, but I get the c drive
> > instead. In both cases it asks for the password and I give it.
> >
> > Windows version is 20h2 and samba version is 4.13.4.
>
> This is probably irrelevant, but I thought everybody switched from the
> samba client to cifs many years ago. Is there some particular reason
> you're using samba instead of the kernel's cifs support?
>
> --
> Grant

I was using the samba client, but I also tried the cifs using
mount.cifs with the same result.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una