you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: how to install mailman3 on gentoo [ In reply to ]
John Covici wrote:
> Hi. I have to convert my mailman2 to mailman3 because of the python
> business. I installed the appropriate packages, but their
> documentation as to how to set it up and upgrade mailman2 is quite
> inscrutible -- also it assumes ubunto and some strange python things
> such as installing in a virtual environment, and assumes postgresql
> which I might or might not want to do. Anyway, I have no idea what I
> am doing here, so if anyone has figured this out, I would appreciate
> some assistance.

Same here. My solution: I changed to mlmmj - http://mlmmj.org/ (available
with Portage) - and everything works fine. Configuration is done by
simple text files, and transferring the list members is just copy-and-paste.

If you're not stuck to mailman, you could take this into consideration.

-Matt
Re: how to install mailman3 on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 02:47:46 -0500,
Matthias Hanft wrote:

> John Covici wrote:
> > Hi. I have to convert my mailman2 to mailman3 because of the python
> > business. I installed the appropriate packages, but their
> > documentation as to how to set it up and upgrade mailman2 is quite
> > inscrutible -- also it assumes ubunto and some strange python things
> > such as installing in a virtual environment, and assumes postgresql
> > which I might or might not want to do. Anyway, I have no idea what I
> > am doing here, so if anyone has figured this out, I would appreciate
> > some assistance.
>
> Same here. My solution: I changed to mlmmj - http://mlmmj.org/ (available
> with Portage) - and everything works fine. Configuration is done by
> simple text files, and transferring the list members is just copy-and-paste.
>
> If you're not stuck to mailman, you could take this into consideration.

I will look into that one. I would like to use mailman, but it seems
difficult and obscure.

Thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: how to install mailman3 on gentoo [ In reply to ]
On 3/11/21 7:37 PM, John Covici wrote:
> I would appreciate some assistance.

I would highly recommend that you subscribe to the Mailman Users mailing
list.

I have been subscribed to the MM-Users mailing list for a decade or more
and have always found everybody to be quite helpful. Mark S. is the
current maintainer and he routinely responds to posts. There are a
handful of other frequent prolific helpers in the MM community too.

Tell them what you're wanting to do, where you're wanting to do it
(Gentoo vs Ubuntu) and they will help you with anything Mailman
specific. They will probably try to answer more Gentoo specific
questions, but may refer you back to a more Gentoo specific location
(here) if things wonder too far from Mailman. E.e. they may only be
able to offer limited help on Gentoo specific init scripts for Mailman.

Go subscribe, and ask your questions.

Note: I don't know if there is one common list or separate lists for
MMv2 and MMv3.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die