into package.use on my machines - is this normal?

Now that ruby3 is out it wants to add a bunch of ruby_targets_ruby30
entries to the ruby_targets_ruby27 crud that's already there.
Re: ruby and package.use [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:45:15 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:

> It seems like ruby regularly wants to stuff ruby_targets_rebyNN entries
> into package.use on my machines - is this normal?
>
> Now that ruby3 is out it wants to add a bunch of ruby_targets_ruby30
> entries to the ruby_targets_ruby27 crud that's already there.

Same here. When this happens, I delete /etc/portage/package.use/ruby and
let portage create a fresh one.

It's still a mess, just a slightly cleaner and up to date mess.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Everything takes longer than expected, even when you take
into account Hoffstead's Law." - Hoffstead's Law
Re: ruby and package.use [ In reply to ]
"Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk>, 10.02.2021, 09:52:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:45:15 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:

>> It seems like ruby regularly wants to stuff ruby_targets_rebyNN entries
>> into package.use on my machines - is this normal?

>> Now that ruby3 is out it wants to add a bunch of ruby_targets_ruby30
>> entries to the ruby_targets_ruby27 crud that's already there.

> Same here. When this happens, I delete /etc/portage/package.use/ruby and
> let portage create a fresh one.

> It's still a mess, just a slightly cleaner and up to date mess.

When a bunch of these pop up, I usually add that ruby version
to RUBY_TARGETS in /etc/portage/make.conf and restart the emerge.

s.
Re: ruby and package.use [ In reply to ]
Am 10.02.2021 um 10:06 schrieb Stefan Schmiedl:
> "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk>, 10.02.2021, 09:52:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:45:15 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:
>
>>> It seems like ruby regularly wants to stuff ruby_targets_rebyNN entries
>>> into package.use on my machines - is this normal?
>
>>> Now that ruby3 is out it wants to add a bunch of ruby_targets_ruby30
>>> entries to the ruby_targets_ruby27 crud that's already there.
>
>> Same here. When this happens, I delete /etc/portage/package.use/ruby and
>> let portage create a fresh one.
>
>> It's still a mess, just a slightly cleaner and up to date mess.
>
> When a bunch of these pop up, I usually add that ruby version
> to RUBY_TARGETS in /etc/portage/make.conf and restart the emerge.
>
> s.

This mostly works for me as well. Some weeks later I # the entry and see
what happens. If not needed anymore I delete it.