The slim is no longer maintain, so I tried "lightdm" but when I try to login, it keeps looping, I'm back into login screen.
I can post a log-file but it is long.

Any suggestion.
Re: lightdm - keeps looping [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 6:59 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> The slim is no longer maintain, so I tried "lightdm" but when I try to login, it keeps looping, I'm back into login screen.
> I can post a log-file but it is long.
>
> Any suggestion.

I forgot to mention the error:

cat .xsession-errors
/etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession: line 106: exec: xsm: not found
Re: lightdm - keeps looping [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 7:01 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 2/8/21 6:59 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> The slim is no longer maintain, so I tried "lightdm" but when I try to login, it keeps looping, I'm back into login screen.
>> I can post a log-file but it is long.
>>
>> Any suggestion.
>
> I forgot to mention the error:
>
> cat .xsession-errors
> /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession: line 106: exec: xsm: not found

emerging xsm start something but not my xfce4.
Gentoo wiki does not mention anything how to start xfce4 with lightdm
Re: lightdm - keeps looping [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 02:23:26 GMT thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 2/8/21 7:01 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > On 2/8/21 6:59 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> The slim is no longer maintain, so I tried "lightdm" but when I try to
> >> login, it keeps looping, I'm back into login screen. I can post a
> >> log-file but it is long.
> >>
> >> Any suggestion.

Have a look at the wiki page, the Troubleshooting section. It mentions a
networkmanager conflict if hostname is set.

> > I forgot to mention the error:
> > cat .xsession-errors
> >
> > /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession: line 106: exec: xsm: not found
>
> emerging xsm start something but not my xfce4.
> Gentoo wiki does not mention anything how to start xfce4 with lightdm

I don't know what this "something" is your lightdm starts, because I am not
seated in front of your monitor. I haven't used lightdm for a while now, but
there is a line where you set your preferred 'user-session' in /etc/lightdm/
lightdm.conf. Have you done this?