various sources, but I haven't found a way through yet.

What setup do people use for compiling for Raspberry Pi?

Peter.
Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
Help wanted https://github.com/GenPi64/Build.Dist

Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
Use a standard Gentoo aarch64 (arm64 ) package. Add a pi kernel, the
/lib/modules directory and the /boot directory  from a raspian tarball.

I did this on a pi 3B running in 64bit mode. Once I had a bootable
system it was easy to modify and a fork from my first image is also
running on a couple of odroid 64bit systems (using the odroid boot and
kernel) and as an lxc image on a 64bit odroid n2.

Getting the /boot directory and uBoot config files sorted was the main
problem.

BillK

Use the equivalent from your local mirror.

Index of ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/

Up to higher level directory
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/>

Name <ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/>
Size <ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/>
Last Modified
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/>
20210117T000247Z
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/20210117T000247Z/>

17/1/21 4:41:00 pm AWST
20210122T003400Z
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/20210122T003400Z/>

22/1/21 1:41:00 pm AWST
20210127T003259Z
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/20210127T003259Z/>

27/1/21 2:01:00 pm AWST
20210131T234743Z
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/20210131T234743Z/>

1/2/21 1:01:00 pm AWST
20210206T004741Z
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/20210206T004741Z/>

6/2/21 1:01:00 pm AWST
File:README
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/README>

1 KB 18/10/15 8:00:00 am AWST
current-stage3
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/current-stage3>

8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST
current-stage3-arm64
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/current-stage3-arm64>

8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST
current-stage3-arm64-systemd
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/current-stage3-arm64-systemd>

8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST
File:latest-stage3-arm64-systemd.txt
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/latest-stage3-arm64-systemd.txt>

1 KB 8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST
File:latest-stage3-arm64.txt
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/latest-stage3-arm64.txt>

1 KB 8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST
File:latest-stage3.txt
<ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/gentoo/releases/arm64/autobuilds/latest-stage3.txt>

1 KB 8/2/21 11:00:00 pm AWST

Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 05:14:25 GMT William Kenworthy wrote:
> Use a standard Gentoo aarch64 (arm64 ) package. Add a pi kernel, the
> /lib/modules directory and the /boot directory from a raspian tarball.
>
> I did this on a pi 3B running in 64bit mode. Once I had a bootable
> system it was easy to modify and a fork from my first image is also
> running on a couple of odroid 64bit systems (using the odroid boot and
> kernel) and as an lxc image on a 64bit odroid n2.
>
> Getting the /boot directory and uBoot config files sorted was the main
> problem.

Interesting...

I'll give that a shot. Thanks William.

Peter.
Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
On 8/2/21 11:36 pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a Pi 400, on which I'd like to install Gentoo if I can. I've tried a
> few approaches so far, but each one has fallen foul of some obstacle. For
> instance, today I tried installing a small Gentoo system into a chroot, to do
> the compiling there. It seemed to be going well until time came to upgrade
> openssl. It stopped when it couldn't cope with the ARM platform. Zlib also
> failed, needing static compilation, I think.
>
> I see references to using crossdev, wine and taking a prebuilt system from
> various sources, but I haven't found a way through yet.
>
> What setup do people use for compiling for Raspberry Pi?

I'm about to try this:

https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit

for a couple of 3's and then some 4's when they turn up. Have you tried
it and it fails?

Andrew
Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
On 09/02/21 11:29, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On 8/2/21 11:36 pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a Pi 400, on which I'd like to install Gentoo if I can. I've
>> tried a
>> few approaches so far, but each one has fallen foul of some obstacle. For
>> instance, today I tried installing a small Gentoo system into a
>> chroot, to do
>> the compiling there. It seemed to be going well until time came to
>> upgrade
>> openssl. It stopped when it couldn't cope with the ARM platform. Zlib
>> also
>> failed, needing static compilation, I think.
>>
>> I see references to using crossdev, wine and taking a prebuilt system
>> from
>> various sources, but I haven't found a way through yet.
>>
>> What setup do people use for compiling for Raspberry Pi?
>>

> I'm about to try this:
>
> https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit
>
> for a couple of 3's and then some 4's when they turn up. Have you tried
> it and it fails?

Bear in mind apparently a normal pi boot setup doesn't work on the 400.
Don't know anything about it except apparently if you stick a card for
the pi 3 or 4 in a 400, it won't boot. It needs to be optimised for the 400.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Gentoo on rpi [ In reply to ]
On 9/2/21 8:29 pm, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 09/02/21 11:29, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> On 8/2/21 11:36 pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I have a Pi 400, on which I'd like to install Gentoo if I can. I've
>>> tried a
>>> few approaches so far, but each one has fallen foul of some obstacle. For
>>> instance, today I tried installing a small Gentoo system into a
>>> chroot, to do
>>> the compiling there. It seemed to be going well until time came to
>>> upgrade
>>> openssl. It stopped when it couldn't cope with the ARM platform. Zlib
>>> also
>>> failed, needing static compilation, I think.
>>>
>>> I see references to using crossdev, wine and taking a prebuilt system
>>> from
>>> various sources, but I haven't found a way through yet.
>>>
>>> What setup do people use for compiling for Raspberry Pi?
>>>

>> I'm about to try this:
>>
>> https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit
>>
>> for a couple of 3's and then some 4's when they turn up. Have you tried
>> it and it fails?
>>
> Bear in mind apparently a normal pi boot setup doesn't work on the 400.
> Don't know anything about it except apparently if you stick a card for
> the pi 3 or 4 in a 400, it won't boot. It needs to be optimised for the 400.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Sorry, forgot about those thingies... Took the "400" to be a typo of
"4", ie just the board....

Andrew