Mailing List Archive

KDE update causes bizarre behaviour
I manhandled a huge update of Qt + KDE last weekend
& am now using Qt-5.15.2 Frameworks-5.77.0 Plasma-5.20.5 .
It was necessary to unmerge the whole of Qt & remerge it
& ditto part of Frameworks : otherwise there were dependency conflicts.
Portage seems incapable of handling such situations by itself.

The digital clock has disappeared from the panel.
I tried "add widgets" & can drag it to the panel, but it doesn't stay.
I tried another widget (simple calculator) as a test & can't remove it.
The icon for the clock in the "add widgets" menu has a small number attached,
which has now reached "10", suggesting that I've added 10 versions,
but none of them is viewable ; there is an invisible icon in the panel
which when R-clicked shows the display for editing the digital clock,
but when L-clicked shows a different widget.

Gwenview now presents my ~/pix/ directory as "Pictures",
though its name remains the same in my file system.

Has anyone else encountered these or other strange phenomena ?
Does anyone have a suggestion how to get back to normalcy ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: KDE update causes bizarre behaviour [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 07:52:53 GMT Philip Webb wrote:
> I manhandled a huge update of Qt + KDE last weekend
> & am now using Qt-5.15.2 Frameworks-5.77.0 Plasma-5.20.5 .
> It was necessary to unmerge the whole of Qt & remerge it
> & ditto part of Frameworks : otherwise there were dependency conflicts.
> Portage seems incapable of handling such situations by itself.

I did not encounter any such conflicts here, on a stable system. Portage
updated Qt and KDE/Plasma unassisted by me.

> The digital clock has disappeared from the panel.
> I tried "add widgets" & can drag it to the panel, but it doesn't stay.
> I tried another widget (simple calculator) as a test & can't remove it.
> The icon for the clock in the "add widgets" menu has a small number
> attached, which has now reached "10", suggesting that I've added 10
> versions, but none of them is viewable ; there is an invisible icon in the
> panel which when R-clicked shows the display for editing the digital clock,
> but when L-clicked shows a different widget.
>
> Gwenview now presents my ~/pix/ directory as "Pictures",
> though its name remains the same in my file system.
>
> Has anyone else encountered these or other strange phenomena ?
> Does anyone have a suggestion how to get back to normalcy ?

Some packages have been updated again to later versions, e.g. dev-qt/
qtgui-5.15.2-r1, kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.20.5. Perhaps you caught
portage on the hop at your last re-sync? I suggest you resync again and
update @world.
Re: KDE update causes bizarre behaviour : solved [ In reply to ]
210126 Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 07:52:53 GMT Philip Webb wrote:
>> I manhandled a huge update of Qt + KDE last weekend
>> & am now using Qt-5.15.2 Frameworks-5.77.0 Plasma-5.20.5 .
>> The digital clock has disappeared from the panel.
> Some packages have been updated again to later versions,
> e.g. dev-qt/qtgui-5.15.2-r1, kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.20.5-r1.

In fact, I am using the '-r1' versions already.

Something went wrong among the KDE items in ~/.config/ .
I restored that directory from a year-old backup & all is well again.
No doubt, I'll need to do some fine-tuning, but it'll do for now.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb