Mailing List Archive

app-emulation/docker with Linode kernel
I use docker, on a Gentoo system, running on a Linode-hosted VPS, with
their kernel. I rely heavily on docker, with ~10 containers providing
various services at any given time.

Lately, I've had a couple of incidents of the system becoming
unresponsive, and I believe it is docker-related.

When I emerge docker, portage gives me the following warnings/errors:

> * CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED: is not set when it should be.
> * CONFIG_IPVLAN: is not set when it should be.
> * CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_REDIRECT_DIR: should not be set. But it is.

Could these complaints be a portent of what is causing the system to
become unresponsive? Is there anything I can do to resolve this when I
am using Linode's kernels?

I know what to do when I am configuring and building my own kernel, but
on this system I'd prefer to avoid this if possible, since it is
Someone Else's Computer, after all.

Any input is appreciated.
Re: app-emulation/docker with Linode kernel [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/21 7:53 PM, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
> I use docker, on a Gentoo system, running on a Linode-hosted VPS, with
> their kernel. I rely heavily on docker, with ~10 containers providing
> various services at any given time.
>
> Lately, I've had a couple of incidents of the system becoming
> unresponsive, and I believe it is docker-related.
>
> When I emerge docker, portage gives me the following warnings/errors:
>
>> * CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED: is not set when it should be.
>> * CONFIG_IPVLAN: is not set when it should be.
>> * CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_REDIRECT_DIR: should not be set. But it is.
>
> Could these complaints be a portent of what is causing the system to
> become unresponsive? Is there anything I can do to resolve this when I
> am using Linode's kernels?
>
> I know what to do when I am configuring and building my own kernel, but
> on this system I'd prefer to avoid this if possible, since it is
> Someone Else's Computer, after all.
>
> Any input is appreciated.

Do you have access to their kernel .config file? If so just compile them IN and test it, make a backup of the current /boot kernel.
I would say these should be compiled into the kernel. The first two are not compiled into my kernel and the third option is missing (no I'm not using docker)