Mailing List Archive

Best approach to a home NAS server
Hello folks!

What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s core
Xeon and 32GB of ram?

I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2 cameras with
ZoneMider and a DB server/php.

Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.

1) Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and 1-Linux to a
small host php/db server);

2) Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux Guest
to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;

3) Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
virtual machine for FreeNas;

4) Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.

Thanks!

M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
Nuclear Engineer | Reactors

Secure e-mail: raphael.mejias.dias@protonmail.com
PGP Key for raphaxx@gmail.com:
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951
Re: Best approach to a home NAS server [ In reply to ]
? 2021/1/20 ??8:04, Raphael MD ??:

> Hello folks!
>

> What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s
> core Xeon and 32GB of ram?
>
> I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2 cameras
> with ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
>
> Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
>
> 1)Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
> stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and 1-Linux
> to a small host php/db server);
>
> 2)Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux Guest
> to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
>
> 3)Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
> virtual machine for FreeNas;
>
> 4)Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
> machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
>
> Thanks!
>

> M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
> Nuclear Engineer | Reactors
>
> Secure e-mail: raphael.mejias.dias@protonmail.com
> <mailto:raphael.mejias.dias@protonmail.com>
> PGP Key for raphaxx@gmail.com <mailto:raphaxx@gmail.com>:
> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951
> <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951>
Here are some my options,
1. freenas host, using dockers for ZoneMinder and php/db server;
    (or linux host and docker for nas and other server)
2. try ESXi, and install virtual machine like freenas and linux servers.

I recommend No.2, since you server is powerful and ESXi may get a good
performance.

--
bobwxc
F645 5C7A 08E8 A637 24C6 D59E 36E9 4EAB B53E 516B
Re: Best approach to a home NAS server [ In reply to ]
>>On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:57 AM bobwxc <bobwxc@88.com> wrote:

> >>? 2021/1/20 ??8:04, Raphael MD ??:
> >>
> >> Hello folks!
> >>

> >> What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s
> >> core Xeon and 32GB of ram?
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2 cameras
> >> with ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
> >>
> >> Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
> >>
> >> 1)Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
> >> stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and 1-Linux
> >> to a small host php/db server);
> >>
> >> 2)Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux Guest
> >> to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
> >>
> >> 3)Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
> >> virtual machine for FreeNas;
> >>
> >> 4)Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
> >> machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> >> M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
> >> Nuclear Engineer | Reactors
> >>
> >> Secure e-mail: raphael.mejias.dias@protonmail.com
> >> <mailto:raphael.mejias.dias@protonmail.com>
> >> PGP Key for raphaxx@gmail.com <mailto:raphaxx@gmail.com>:
> >> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951
> >> <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951>
> >Here are some my options,
> >1. freenas host, using dockers for ZoneMinder and php/db server;
> > (or linux host and docker for nas and other server)
> >2. try ESXi, and install virtual machine like freenas and linux servers.
>
> >I recommend No.2, since you server is powerful and ESXi may get a good
> >performance.
> >
> >--
> >bobwxc
> >F645 5C7A 08E8 A637 24C6 D59E 36E9 4EAB B53E 516B

I never have used Docker, is Docker better than Xen? I'm curious if it is
easier to understand and maintain than some standalone virtual machine.

Regarding the ESXi I'm looking for some free solution, because this will be
a home server.

In the case of ZFS, is Linux stable for production nowadays? I've read and
appear to be in very good condition now.

Thanks.

M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
Nuclear Engineer | Reactors
Re: Best approach to a home NAS server [ In reply to ]
? 2021/1/20 ??9:37, Raphael MD ??:
>  >>On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:57 AM bobwxc <bobwxc@88.com
> <mailto:bobwxc@88.com>> wrote:
>
> >>? 2021/1/20 ??8:04, Raphael MD ??:
> >>
> >> Hello folks!
> >>

> >> What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s
> >> core Xeon and 32GB of ram?
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2
> cameras
> >> with ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
> >>
> >> Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
> >>
> >> 1)Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
> >> stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and
> 1-Linux
> >> to a small host php/db server);
> >>
> >> 2)Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux
> Guest
> >> to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
> >>
> >> 3)Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
> >> virtual machine for FreeNas;
> >>
> >> 4)Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
> >> machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >Here are some my options,
> >1. freenas host, using dockers for ZoneMinder and php/db server;
> >    (or linux host and docker for nas and other server)
> >2. try ESXi, and install virtual machine like freenas and linux
> servers.
>
> >I recommend No.2, since you server is powerful and ESXi may get a
> good
> >performance.
>

> I never have used Docker, is Docker better than Xen? I'm curious if it
> is easier to understand and maintain than some standalone virtual machine.
>
> Regarding the ESXi I'm looking for some free solution, because this
> will be a home server.
>
> In the case of ZFS, is Linux stable for production nowadays? I've read
> and appear to be in very good condition now.

I also haven't using Xen :-) so I searched it, and it seems like that
+------------------+
|   application    |
+------------------+
|      Docker      |
|       Xen        |
|       KVM        |
+------------------+
| hardware machine |
Docker has higher utilization rate of resources, such as memory and hard
disk sharing, and KVM isolation is more thorough.
So Docker is on application layer, and it is easier to manage a bunch of
application containers.
If you prefer standalone virtual machine, KVM and Xen is better.
But I'm not sure which is better between KVM and Xen, seems KVM is more
widely used at present.

And I forgot ESXi need a license key for your multi core machine, sorry.