xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5 /home
does not create directory /thelma manually under /home

When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
How to get back "X"

When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
Fatal server error:
(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)
Re: fstab mount /home by default [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 1:22 AM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On one of my system I have in fstab:
> /dev/sda4 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
> and /home is mounted by default
>
> On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
>
> but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
>
> On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
> useradd -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
>
> added to fstab:
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
>
> but it doesn't mount by default.
> xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
> so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5 /home
> does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
>
> When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
> How to get back "X"
>
> When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)

Spelling :-/
It should be:
dev/sda5 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
Re: fstab mount /home by default [ In reply to ]
"thelma@sys-concept.com" <thelma@sys-concept.com>, 17.01.2021, 09:34:

> On 1/17/21 1:22 AM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> On one of my system I have in fstab:
>> /dev/sda4             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>> and /home is mounted by default
>>
>> On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
>> /dev/sda5             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>>
>> but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
>>
>> On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
>> useradd  -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
>>
>> added to fstab:
>> /dev/sda5             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>>
>> but it doesn't mount by default.
>> xfce4 created new entry in /home  /thelma
>> so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting:  mount /dev/sda5 /home
>> does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
>>
>> When I mount manually /dev/sda5  /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
>> How to get back "X"
>>
>> When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
>> Fatal server error:
>> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)

> Spelling :-/
> It should be:
> dev/sda5                /home           ext4            defaults                0 1

this line is missing a leading /, it should be the full path to the device:

/dev/sda5 ...

s.
Re: fstab mount /home by default [ In reply to ]
? 2021/1/17 ??4:42, Stefan Schmiedl ??:
> "thelma@sys-concept.com" <thelma@sys-concept.com>, 17.01.2021, 09:34:
>
>>  On 1/17/21 1:22 AM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> On one of my system I have in fstab:
>>> /dev/sda4             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>>> and /home is mounted by default
>>>
>>> On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
>>> /dev/sda5             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>>>
>>> but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
>>>
>>> On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
>>> useradd  -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
>>>
>>> added to fstab:
>>> /dev/sda5             /home           ext4            noatime         0 1
>>>
>>> but it doesn't mount by default.
>>> xfce4 created new entry in /home  /thelma
>>> so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting:  mount /dev/sda5 /home
>>> does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
>>>
>>> When I mount manually /dev/sda5  /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
>>> How to get back "X"
>>>
>>> When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)
>> Spelling :-/
>> It should be:
>> dev/sda5                /home           ext4            defaults                0 1
>>
> this line is missing a leading /, it should be the full path to the device:
>
> /dev/sda5 ...
>
> s.

1. You'd better use UUID instead of /dev/path
2. check your origin  ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs  and make dirs in you new
home

--
bobwxc
F645 5C7A 08E8 A637 24C6 D59E 36E9 4EAB B53E 516B
Re: fstab mount /home by default [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 01:22:22 -0700, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4
> noatime 0 1
>
> but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?

What does syslog say? Is it even trying to mount, or trying and failing?

> On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
> useradd -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
>
> added to fstab:
> /dev/sda5 /home ext4
> noatime 0 1
>
> but it doesn't mount by default.
> xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
> so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5
> /home does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
>
> When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying
> login as user "X" gets a black screen now.

Your user directory won't be created automatically when mounting.
/home/thelma has to exist and be owned by the correct user. Permission
errors could be caused by your recreating /home/thelma as root and not
changing ownership.

--
Neil Bothwick

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System