and all the log files were immediately updated and reporting.

I rebooted my machine, and the log files are untouched, it is again
hibernating.
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 15 January 2021 08:47:18 GMT n952162 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anyone explain this?
>
> I noticed today (15. January) that the /var/log/{messages,kern.log,etc.}
> files on a box were last touched on 22. November.
>
> sysklogd was in the rc-open /started/ state and was running.
>
> The configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf matches completely that file on
> another machine of mine, where the logs are properly updated.
>
> /etc/syslog.d/ was empty on both machines.
>
> I sent the process a HUP signal, as follows
>
> sudo kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid )
>
> and all the log files were immediately updated and reporting.
>
> I rebooted my machine, and the log files are untouched, it is again
> hibernating.

Do you get something like this on your system?

$ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
syslog-ng | default

and,

$ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
* Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/
syslog-ng status
* status: started
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On 1/15/21 10:24 AM, Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 15 January 2021 08:47:18 GMT n952162 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> can anyone explain this?
>>
>> I noticed today (15. January) that the /var/log/{messages,kern.log,etc.}
>> files on a box were last touched on 22. November.
>>
>> sysklogd was in the rc-open /started/ state and was running.
>>
>> The configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf matches completely that file on
>> another machine of mine, where the logs are properly updated.
>>
>> /etc/syslog.d/ was empty on both machines.
>>
>> I sent the process a HUP signal, as follows
>>
>> sudo kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid )
>>
>> and all the log files were immediately updated and reporting.
>>
>> I rebooted my machine, and the log files are untouched, it is again
>> hibernating.
> Do you get something like this on your system?
>
> $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
> syslog-ng | default
>
> and,
>
> $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/
> syslog-ng status
> * status: started

$ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
 * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist

$ rc-service -v syslog status
 * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist

$ rc-service -v syslogd status
 * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist

$ rc-service -v sysklogd status
 * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
/etc/init.d/sysklogd status
 * status: started

$ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog

$ rc-update -s -v | grep sysklog
             sysklogd |      default                    sysinit

I ran that as a script on a machine where the logs are properly updated:

01~>bash -x  /tmp/test
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 15 January 2021 15:08:15 GMT n952162 wrote:
> On 1/15/21 10:24 AM, Michael wrote:
> > On Friday, 15 January 2021 08:47:18 GMT n952162 wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> can anyone explain this?
> >>
> >> I noticed today (15. January) that the /var/log/{messages,kern.log,etc.}
> >> files on a box were last touched on 22. November.
> >>
> >> sysklogd was in the rc-open /started/ state and was running.
> >>
> >> The configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf matches completely that file on
> >> another machine of mine, where the logs are properly updated.
> >>
> >> /etc/syslog.d/ was empty on both machines.
> >>
> >> I sent the process a HUP signal, as follows
> >>
> >> sudo kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid )
> >>
> >> and all the log files were immediately updated and reporting.
> >>
> >> I rebooted my machine, and the log files are untouched, it is again
> >> hibernating.
> >
> > Do you get something like this on your system?
> >
> > $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
> >
> > syslog-ng | default
> >
> > and,
> >
> > $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> >
> > * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> > /etc/init.d/
> >
> > syslog-ng status
> >
> > * status: started
>
> $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
>
> $ rc-service -v syslog status
> * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
>
> $ rc-service -v syslogd status
> * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
>
> $ rc-service -v sysklogd status
> * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
> * status: started
>
> $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
>
> $ rc-update -s -v | grep sysklog
> sysklogd | default sysinit
>

> I ran that as a script on a machine where the logs are properly updated:
>
> 01~>bash -x /tmp/test
> + rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
> + rc-service -v syslog status
> * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
> + rc-service -v syslogd status
> * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
> + rc-service -v sysklogd status
> * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
> * status: started
> + rc-update -s -v
> + grep syslog
> + rc-update -s -v
> + grep sysklog
> sysklogd | default

Substitute your syslog program's name for syslog-ng. Michael did say
"something like."

Peter.
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 15 January 2021 15:23:34 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 15 January 2021 15:08:15 GMT n952162 wrote:

> > > Do you get something like this on your system?
> > >
> > > $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
> > >
> > > syslog-ng | default
> > >
> > > and,
> > >
> > > $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> > >
> > > * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> > > /etc/init.d/
> > >
> > > syslog-ng status
> > >
> > > * status: started
> >
> > $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
> >
> > $ rc-service -v syslog status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
> >
> > $ rc-service -v syslogd status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
> >
> > $ rc-service -v sysklogd status
> >
> > * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> >
> > /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
> >
> > * status: started
> >
> > $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
> >
> > $ rc-update -s -v | grep sysklog
> >
> > sysklogd | default sysinit
> >
> > I ran that as a script on a machine where the logs are properly updated:
> >
> > 01~>bash -x /tmp/test
> > + rc-service -v syslog-ng status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
> >
> > + rc-service -v syslog status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
> >
> > + rc-service -v syslogd status
> >
> > * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
> >
> > + rc-service -v sysklogd status
> >
> > * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
> >
> > /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
> >
> > * status: started
> >
> > + rc-update -s -v
> > + grep syslog
> > + rc-update -s -v
> > + grep sysklog
> >
> > sysklogd | default
>
> Substitute your syslog program's name for syslog-ng. Michael did say
> "something like."

Yes, quite, other log daemons are available. :-)

It seems your PC on which sysklogd works as expected has its rc script only on
'default' runlevel, rather than default +sysinit. I don't know if sysinit is
required. If you remove sysinit and restart sysklogd from a terminal does it
spew out any errors?
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 15 January 2021 15:30:08 GMT Michael wrote:

> It seems your PC on which sysklogd works as expected has its rc script only
> on 'default' runlevel, rather than default +sysinit. I don't know if
> sysinit is required. If you remove sysinit and restart sysklogd from a
> terminal does it spew out any errors?

Syslog-ng is not in sysinit here.

Peter.
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]
On 1/15/21 4:30 PM, Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 15 January 2021 15:23:34 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:

>>> $ rc-service -v syslog-ng status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
>>>
>>> $ rc-service -v syslog status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
>>>
>>> $ rc-service -v syslogd status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
>>>
>>> $ rc-service -v sysklogd status
>>>
>>> * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
>>>
>>> * status: started
>>>
>>> $ rc-update -s -v | grep syslog
>>>
>>> $ rc-update -s -v | grep sysklog
>>>
>>> sysklogd | default sysinit
>>>
>>> I ran that as a script on a machine where the logs are properly updated:
>>>
>>> 01~>bash -x /tmp/test
>>> + rc-service -v syslog-ng status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslog-ng' does not exist
>>>
>>> + rc-service -v syslog status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslog' does not exist
>>>
>>> + rc-service -v syslogd status
>>>
>>> * rc-service: service `syslogd' does not exist
>>>
>>> + rc-service -v sysklogd status
>>>
>>> * Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/sysklogd status
>>>
>>> * status: started
>>>
>>> + rc-update -s -v
>>> + grep syslog
>>> + rc-update -s -v
>>> + grep sysklog
>>>
>>> sysklogd | default
>> Substitute your syslog program's name for syslog-ng. Michael did say
>> "something like."
> Yes, quite, other log daemons are available. :-)
>
> It seems your PC on which sysklogd works as expected has its rc script only on
> 'default' runlevel, rather than default +sysinit. I don't know if sysinit is
> required. If you remove sysinit and restart sysklogd from a terminal does it
> spew out any errors?

Oh, I missed that sysinit way out there on the left ;-)

It looks like that was it, no errors after removing runlevel sysinit,
and /var/log/messages has like the current time.

Thanks, that was great!
Re: syslogd hibernating [RESOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On 1/15/21 5:29 PM, n952162 wrote:
> On 1/15/21 4:30 PM, Michael wrote:

>>> Substitute your syslog program's name for syslog-ng. Michael did say
>>> "something like."
>> Yes, quite, other log daemons are available.  :-)
>>
>> It seems your PC on which sysklogd works as expected has its rc
>> script only on
>> 'default' runlevel, rather than default +sysinit.  I don't know if
>> sysinit is
>> required.  If you remove sysinit and restart sysklogd from a terminal
>> does it
>> spew out any errors?
>

> Oh, I missed that sysinit way out there on the left ;-)

(correction: way out there on the right)
Re: syslogd hibernating [ In reply to ]