do on my old laptop.

1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss

Peter.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:30:19 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out [1].
> What do people use instead?
>
> This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still trying
> to do on my old laptop.
>
> 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss

A relief to see I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - I thought I had
misconfigured something on my systems. :-)

A way around it would be to use screen or tmux and use their internal buffer.
However, if you're already logged in a console and suddenly want to
Shift+PageUp, then it would be too late. This suggestion won't help if you
want to look at the rc scripts output as the system boots, but you can capture
these separately in syslog.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:38:01 GMT Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:30:19 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> > [1]. What do people use instead?
> >
> > This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still
> > trying to do on my old laptop.
> >
> > 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss
>
> A relief to see I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - I thought I had
> misconfigured something on my systems. :-)
>
> A way around it would be to use screen or tmux and use their internal
> buffer. However, if you're already logged in a console and suddenly want to
> Shift+PageUp, then it would be too late. This suggestion won't help if you
> want to look at the rc scripts output as the system boots, but you can
> capture these separately in syslog.

It's a pain in the neck while trying to emerge a base system and being thrown
scores of lines of reasons why it can't be done, with the prime cause long
gone. I tried using "| tee 2>&1 > /tmp/file" and then viewing the file on
another vTTY, but there ought to be a neater way.

Peter.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:55:18 +0000
Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:38:01 GMT Michael wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:30:19 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> > > [1]. What do people use instead?
> > >
> > > This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still
> > > trying to do on my old laptop.
> > >
> > > 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss
> >
> > A relief to see I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - I thought I had
> > misconfigured something on my systems. :-)
> >
> > A way around it would be to use screen or tmux and use their internal
> > buffer. However, if you're already logged in a console and suddenly want to
> > Shift+PageUp, then it would be too late. This suggestion won't help if you
> > want to look at the rc scripts output as the system boots, but you can
> > capture these separately in syslog.
>
> It's a pain in the neck while trying to emerge a base system and being thrown
> scores of lines of reasons why it can't be done, with the prime cause long
> gone. I tried using "| tee 2>&1 > /tmp/file" and then viewing the file on
> another vTTY, but there ought to be a neater way.

How about this (works with bash, not sure about other shells):
emerge |& less

This should work with all shells:
emerge 2>&1 | less

Cheers
Andreas
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 11:21:54 GMT Andreas Fink wrote:

> How about this (works with bash, not sure about other shells):
> emerge |& less
>
> This should work with all shells:
> emerge 2>&1 | less

That's better; thanks Andreas.

Peter.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Hello, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:30:19 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,

> I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> [1].

This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
X-Windows terminals.

Thanks for the heads up!

> What do people use instead?

Well, it looks like I'll have to stop upgrading my kernel at 5.8.n.
That can only be a short term answer, though.

> This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still
> trying to do on my old laptop.

> 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss

Question: I'm a C hacker; how do I go about getting to restore (and
enhance) this essential facility myself?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:14:39 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> > [1].
>
> This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
> browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
> to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
> X-Windows terminals.

What about screen/tmux?

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 00D: Window closed - Do not look outside
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 18:14:39 GMT Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Peter.
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:30:19 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> > [1].
>
> This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
> browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
> to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
> X-Windows terminals.
>
> Thanks for the heads up!
>
> > What do people use instead?
>
> Well, it looks like I'll have to stop upgrading my kernel at 5.8.n.

Actually, the console-scrolling code has gone from 5.4.80 too. Also 5.4.72 I
think.

Peter.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 1/13/21 11:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
> browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes
> unusable to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate
> alternatives like X-Windows terminals.

Wow. I don't think I've run into someone that was a devout
{physical,virtual} /console/ user in quite a while.

I'm curious what you do in the Linux console that can't be done in a
terminal emulator.

I know that there is a lot of difference in different terminal
emulators. -- I *strongly* prefer XTerm as it does things that other
terminal emulators have never heard of.

Please share if you do things that /can/ be done in the Linux console
that /can't/ be done in a terminal emulator.

If it's just preference, then hat's off to you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Hello, Grant.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:32:28 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 1/13/21 11:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
> > browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes
> > unusable to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate
> > alternatives like X-Windows terminals.

> Wow. I don't think I've run into someone that was a devout
> {physical,virtual} /console/ user in quite a while.

> I'm curious what you do in the Linux console that can't be done in a
> terminal emulator.

Well, there's really not much that can't be done in a terminal emulator.
But it's the manner of the doing that's important. Doing text work in X
is s l u g g i s h. Changing from one application to another, which
would be achieved by, say Alt-F4 on a console takes more key sequences
in X, and is less than instantaneous. The X terminal emulator tends not
to occupy the whole screen - it tends to have title bars, menu items,
tabs even, which just distract from the task at hand. Maybe it can be
set up to take the whole screen, but that's work. And the fonts used
tend to be less distinct and helpful than the 16 x 8 bitmaps I have on
the console. And X windows steals useful key sequences, such as
Alt-Tab. On an Emacs session, in three columns on a console, I can
display 195 consecutive lines of a source file simultaneously.

I could go on, but ...

That's not to say there aren't problems with the tty console - even
before the screen scrolling was removed altogether, it wasn't exactly
anything to write home about. And it would be nice to have more than 16
colours available. But, on balance, I'll stick with the console.

> I know that there is a lot of difference in different terminal
> emulators. -- I *strongly* prefer XTerm as it does things that other
> terminal emulators have never heard of.

> Please share if you do things that /can/ be done in the Linux console
> that /can't/ be done in a terminal emulator.

I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
have been installed and debugged.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 1/13/21 2:56 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Grant.

Hi Alan,

> Well, there's really not much that can't be done in a terminal
> emulator. But it's the manner of the doing that's important.

Okay. I can appreciate and respect that response.

> Doing text work in X is s l u g g i s h. Changing from one
> application to another, which would be achieved by, say Alt-F4 on a
> console takes more key sequences in X, and is less than instantaneous.

I don't know that I've ever experienced the sluggishness that you're
talking about. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I will admit
that Alt-Tabing through windows is an additional step vs Alt-F# in that
you have the intermediary list that you cycle through vs just jumping
directly to the desired window.

> The X terminal emulator tends not to occupy the whole screen - it tends
> to have title bars, menu items, tabs even, which just distract from
> the task at hand. Maybe it can be set up to take the whole screen,
> but that's work. And the fonts used tend to be less distinct and
> helpful than the 16 x 8 bitmaps I have on the console.

Those seem more like preferences / settings to me. But preferences are
still sufficient to drive decisions.

> And X windows steals useful key sequences, such as Alt-Tab.

True.

> On an Emacs session, in three columns on a console, I can display
> 195 consecutive lines of a source file simultaneously.

I would expect that to be the same possibility in X and on the console.
Or quite close counterparts.

> I could go on, but ...
>
> That's not to say there aren't problems with the tty console - even
> before the screen scrolling was removed altogether, it wasn't exactly
> anything to write home about. And it would be nice to have more than
> 16 colours available. But, on balance, I'll stick with the console.

Fair enough. To each their own.

> I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working
> in the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window
> Manager have been installed and debugged.

True.

Thank you Alan, for enlightening me to your work flow and how the
console is better for you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 2021-01-13, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
> the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
> have been installed and debugged.

I usually install Gentoo via ssh.

The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.

FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
start of a line. I've switched screen's meta-character a few times,
but everytime I try that I find my fingers already have something else
assigned to that control character (which I had forgotten about). It
would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
works.

--
Grant
Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:15:25 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
> that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
> break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
> start of a line.

The decision to use Ctrl-A seems insane as it is such a well used key
combination. I used to change it to Ctrl-B, but now I use tmux, which
uses Ctrl-B by default.

--
Neil Bothwick

Nobody's perfect and since I'm nobody...!
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 2021-01-13, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:15:25 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
>> that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
>> break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
>> start of a line.
>
> The decision to use Ctrl-A seems insane as it is such a well used key
> combination. I used to change it to Ctrl-B, but now I use tmux, which
> uses Ctrl-B by default.

Nope, ctrl-B is move-backwards-one-character. I really should try to
figure out a control-character that's not used by emacs or the tty
driver or ??? and assign that as the meta key in screen. Several times
a week while I'm screen I'll forget about ctrl-A not working and get
puzzled why my command lines are mangled.

--
Grant
Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 1/13/21 4:06 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I really should try to figure out a control-character that's not used
> by emacs or the tty driver

I think there are very few, if any, keys used by the TTY driver.

I suspect you are thinking of the line editor in the shell, e.g. readline.

I can see how Control-S (XOFF) and Control-Q (XON) might be part of the
TTY driver.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 23:06:54 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > The decision to use Ctrl-A seems insane as it is such a well used key
> > combination. I used to change it to Ctrl-B, but now I use tmux, which
> > uses Ctrl-B by default.
>
> Nope, ctrl-B is move-backwards-one-character.

That's why it works for me, I never use Ctrl-B to move like that.

--
Neil Bothwick

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 2021-01-14, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@gentoo.tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 1/13/21 4:06 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I really should try to figure out a control-character that's not used
>> by emacs or the tty driver
>
> I think there are very few, if any, keys used by the TTY driver. I
> suspect you are thinking of the line editor in the shell,
> e.g. readline.

$ stty -a | tr ';' '\n' | fgrep ^

intr = ^C
quit = ^\
erase = ^?
kill = ^U
eof = ^D
start = ^Q
stop = ^S
susp = ^Z
rprnt = ^R
werase = ^W
lnext = ^V
discard = ^O

Some of the above are shadowed by readline or by bash in emacs mode,
but the tty driver uses more than a few control keys.

--
Grant
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Hello, Neil.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:44:15 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:14:39 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
> > > [1].

> > This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
> > browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
> > to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
> > X-Windows terminals.

> What about screen/tmux?

I suppose they'd do at a pinch, but they're both things which get
between Linux and my applications, and like X-Windows, they offer
"features" which I don't need and don't want, and hijack key sequences.

But I will look into it if I have to. For the moment, I can get by by
not updating my kernel.

Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Hello, Grant.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 22:15:25 -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2021-01-13, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
> > the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
> > have been installed and debugged.

> I usually install Gentoo via ssh.

> The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
> feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
> and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.

I'm doing my best to step forward, but I suspect that will be almost as
difficult as fixing the bugs in it. ;-)

I'm disappointed that the decision to cut out this important feature was
taken without any serious attempt to find a maintainer. I have the
impression (though I may be wrong), that the problem was talked about on
the linux kernel mailing list, but nobody there took it upon himself to
post on any of the more hard-core distributions' mailing lists, such as
gentoo's.

> FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
> that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
> break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
> start of a line. I've switched screen's meta-character a few times,
> but everytime I try that I find my fingers already have something else
> assigned to that control character (which I had forgotten about). It
> would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
> find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
> works.

Can one set up a "basic" screen which doesn't use a meta-character?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Grant:
> On 1/13/21 2:56 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Doing text work in X is s l u g g i s h. Changing from one
> > application to another, which would be achieved by, say Alt-F4 on a
> > console takes more key sequences in X, and is less than instantaneous.

I'm using fvwm set up with 9 virtual screens and so I can swith between
them with ctr-arrow, fast enought for me.

> > On an Emacs session, in three columns on a console, I can display
> > 195 consecutive lines of a source file simultaneously.

I get 260x97 chars in emacs on a 1600x1280 display. With three
columns, w82,82,83chars, I get 3x95=285 lines of text.

///

Alan, how do you set up your console (I'd like to try) ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar
Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On 1/13/21 6:25 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Some of the above are shadowed by readline or by bash in emacs mode,
> but the tty driver uses more than a few control keys.

Thank you for the clarification / additional information.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
Hello, Gentoo.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:06:38 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 22:15:25 -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2021-01-13, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > > I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
> > > the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
> > > have been installed and debugged.

> > I usually install Gentoo via ssh.

> > The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
> > feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
> > and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.

> I'm doing my best to step forward, but I suspect that will be almost as
> difficult as fixing the bugs in it. ;-)

And so it transpired. I subscribed to the linux-kernel list for a short
time, and offered my services in a post. Not one single reply did I get.
That list is not a friendly one. It gets an almost unmanageable ~2000
posts a day, the vast bulk of which are patches, fragmented into,
perhaps, one diff hunk per post.

> I'm disappointed that the decision to cut out this important feature was
> taken without any serious attempt to find a maintainer. I have the
> impression (though I may be wrong), that the problem was talked about on
> the linux kernel mailing list, but nobody there took it upon himself to
> post on any of the more hard-core distributions' mailing lists, such as
> gentoo's.

I've come to realise that Linus Torvalds, who personally took the
decision to remove the scrolling, doesn't care about users, and indeed
regards them with disdain. He cares about _customers_, and Linux's
customers are RedHat, Suse, IBM, Intel, and the other HW manufacturers.
RedHat customers don't use the console, therefore the console isn't
important. It's a bit like Microsoft's attitude towards users.

Sure, Linus went through the motions of pretending to try to find a
maintainer, but didn't put any serious effort into it. He argued that
"nobody" uses it anyway, therefore it is unimportant, which is an ironic
echo of the argument that nobody uses Linux on a desktop PC.

Even if the bugs came to be fixed, I doubt the scrolling would be allowed
back into the kernel, for the above reasons. Exactly what the bugs are
in the scrolling code wasn't gone into on the list, despite more than one
contributor asking.

> > FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
> > that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
> > break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
> > start of a line. I've switched screen's meta-character a few times,
> > but everytime I try that I find my fingers already have something else
> > assigned to that control character (which I had forgotten about). It
> > would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
> > find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
> > works.

> Can one set up a "basic" screen which doesn't use a meta-character?

I don't know what I'll be doing, long term. For the moment, I'll be
hanging onto the working kernel I've got, old though it may be (4.19.97).
It might be possible (I'm not sure) to hook up a user space program to
the keys <shift>-<PageUp/Down> which would take care of the scrolling.
This would obviously not work with early kernel messages, but would be
better than nothing. I had a look at the GNU screen source code
yesterday to see how it managed such things, but it is very sparsely
commented, and thus hard work to understand.

Maybe I should just cut my losses, and convert to using one of the BSDs.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:01:48 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> [...]

> > > would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
> > > find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
> > > works.

> > Can one set up a "basic" screen which doesn't use a meta-character?

> I don't know what I'll be doing, long term. For the moment, I'll be
> hanging onto the working kernel I've got, old though it may be (4.19.97).
> It might be possible (I'm not sure) to hook up a user space program to
> the keys <shift>-<PageUp/Down> which would take care of the scrolling.
> This would obviously not work with early kernel messages, but would be
> better than nothing. I had a look at the GNU screen source code
> yesterday to see how it managed such things, but it is very sparsely
> commented, and thus hard work to understand.

> Maybe I should just cut my losses, and convert to using one of the BSDs.

2000 posts per day on Linux kernel list would be more than unmanageable for me! I wouldn't say "almost"!

Is Linus Torvalds' removal of console scrolling the reason why Scroll Lock does not work on the console with System Rescue CD or USB, while with FreeBSD and NetBSD, I can press Scroll Lock and scroll back?

I like that ability but don't think Linus Torvalds is listening or reading this.

Further, with System Rescue console, the lines/text go only partway down.

Using screen, now at v4.8, means having to remember a lot of key functions, you need a separate reference screen to look them up.

There is also tmux, which is part of the base system in NetBSD but not FreeBSD.

If Linus cared about his users, he could make the kernel headers more user-friendly, installing kernel headers should not be any more complicated than copying or downloading.

Console scrolling is especially useful with an OS or distro that is built from the ground up, like Gentoo, Void or Arch, as opposed to being installed all at once.

If more Linux users would go to and try NetBSD or FreeBSD, those OSes would have more users, more ideas, more ability to improve.

You can even cross-compile NetBSD from Linux. You'd need NetBSD source tree, but don't have to do anything special to install kernel headers.

Tom
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:01:48 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I usually install Gentoo via ssh.
> The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
> feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
> and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.
> I subscribed to the linux-kernel list for a short time
> and offered my services in a post. Not one single reply did I get.
> Linus Torvalds personally took the decision to remove the scrolling.
> Sure, he went through the motions of pretending to try to find
> a maintainer, but didn't put any serious effort into it.
> He argued that "nobody" uses it anyway, therefore it is unimportant.
> Exactly what the bugs are in the scrolling code
> wasn't gone into on the list, despite more than one contributor asking.

You can't expect Linus to take any time over a minority of users
or for the kernel team generally to reply to someone they don't know.
In order to get attention, you need to come up with a set of patches
which you know work in a modified kernel in your own machine.
For that, you have to put in some work of your own,
searching out the bugs, examining the relevant code,
finding what is needed to fix the bugs & testing patched kernels.

If you try using Screen, you could print yourself a list of commands,
which would make it easier to get used to its features.
It may well be easier to go over to BSD instead.

When I installed this system in 2015, I needed to use raw terminals,
so I wonder whether this is a real problem for a lot of Gentoo users.
If so, an approach by a Gentoo dev to the kernel maintainers
would be likely to get the attention you can't get on your own.

HTH

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: Console scrollback [ In reply to ]