and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
come up talking.
I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.

--
Re: gentoo install speechless [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:08:51 -0400,
Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
> speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
> system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
> pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
> backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
> such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
> again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
> alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
> the boot process so those probably work.
> For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
> and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
> come up talking.
> I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
> having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
> More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
> gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
> accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.

Did you load the speakup-soft module during boot using /etc/modules or
maybe /etc/conf.d/modules or whatever the correct name is? This
should get the module loaded and if using espeak, you execute that
command, maybe in your rc.local or some convenient place and you
should be good to go, provided alsa is working. No worse than other
distros. I have speakup built into the kernel and use a hardware
synth, so I am a bit better off, but you should still be able to get
things going.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: gentoo install speechless [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, John Covici wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 23:18:14
> From: John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com>
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
>
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:08:51 -0400,
> Jude DaShiell wrote:
> >
> > I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
> > speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
> > system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
> > pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
> > backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
> > such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
> > again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
> > alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
> > the boot process so those probably work.
> > For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
> > and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
> > come up talking.
> > I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
> > having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
> > More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
> > gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
> > accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.
>
> Did you load the speakup-soft module during boot using /etc/modules or
> maybe /etc/conf.d/modules or whatever the correct name is? This
> should get the module loaded and if using espeak, you execute that
> command, maybe in your rc.local or some convenient place and you
> should be good to go, provided alsa is working. No worse than other
> distros. I have speakup built into the kernel and use a hardware
> synth, so I am a bit better off, but you should still be able to get
> things going.

I didn't load that module yet I built it into the kernel. Maybe this is
one that has to be compiled as a module then loaded in though why this
should differ from your hardware module I don't know.

Re: gentoo install speechless [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 05:09:53 -0400,
Jude DaShiell wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, John Covici wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 23:18:14
> > From: John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com>
> > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
> >
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:08:51 -0400,
> > Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > >
> > > I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
> > > speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
> > > system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
> > > pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
> > > backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
> > > such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
> > > again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
> > > alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
> > > the boot process so those probably work.
> > > For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
> > > and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
> > > come up talking.
> > > I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
> > > having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
> > > More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
> > > gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
> > > accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.
> >
> > Did you load the speakup-soft module during boot using /etc/modules or
> > maybe /etc/conf.d/modules or whatever the correct name is? This
> > should get the module loaded and if using espeak, you execute that
> > command, maybe in your rc.local or some convenient place and you
> > should be good to go, provided alsa is working. No worse than other
> > distros. I have speakup built into the kernel and use a hardware
> > synth, so I am a bit better off, but you should still be able to get
> > things going.
> >
> I didn't load that module yet I built it into the kernel. Maybe this is
> one that has to be compiled as a module then loaded in though why this
> should differ from your hardware module I don't know.

ssh into the system and see if speakup-soft is loaded, but you need
alsa and espeak for speech to be available.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: gentoo install speechless [ In reply to ]
Apparently something is active in chroot in alsa I didn't add to the
kernel in make menuconfig since speaker-test works in chroot but not
after boot.
I have one of those snd_ac97 cards for now. Next computer no intel
sound card.