Mailing List Archive

Re: llvm fails to emerge
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 03:22:00PM +0200, n952162 wrote:
> I think I've run into similar kinds of errors before, which may have be
> due to demanding too much from my vbox, so I tried setting -j1, but that

It's possible, admittedly probable, that you're running out of memory. LLVM is
not a small package, and takes time to compile on even the beefiest of hardware.
Considering that you're doing this inside a virtual machine, perhaps you should
try allocating some more memory to the virtualised system? If your host system
architecture matches that of the "guest", you could compile LLVM on the host and
use `quickpkg` to create a binary to transfer [1].

You could also try removing the `-pipe` option on the G++ invocations, as
sending mounds of data through pipes could stress the RAM, although I'd be
surprised if it made a difference on a relatively modern, albeit virtualised,
system [2].

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide#Using_quickpkg
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/1512947/

--