Mailing List Archive

No sound. Please, help!
At different times during the last one and a half years, I tried to
make sound work on my new Gentoo install on a computer with Gigabyte
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and MSI ATI Radeon R4770 graphic card.

Previously, I successfully solved the sound problems in Gentoo either
with alsamixer or by compiling the right driver into the kernel but on
this computer these two approaches failed so far.

In my penultimate attempt to solve this problem, I spent no less than
one week trying to compile the right driver into the then 4th Linux
kernel with no result. At the beginning, I managed to get a sound from
this computer after some kernel configurations but they turned out to
be unstable in the sense that later the same kernel configurations
resulted in no sound. (I have used git to control all my experiments
with the kernel configurations, so I am quite sure that configurations
of the kernel for which I sometimes got the sound and later did not
was indeed the same.) My first explanation to this phenomena was that
after recompiling a kernel I also have to recompile xorg-server and
some sound related packages. So I have tried this with no result
again. And, of course, I have always used alsamixer to make sure that
no sound channels are muted.

Finally, I decided that I just cannot find the right combination of
sound drivers and gave up because at that time I could not spend on
this more than one week.

But last month I found out about the gentoo-kernel package and decided
to try once more. I was almost sure that, after installing this
package, I will finally get the sound. So, I have installed the
latest, 5.4.64, version of this package. As a result, the computer
rebooted in the new Linux kernel and everything worked and still works
like a charm except for the sound as it is still absent. :(

So I definitely (and desperately) need your help and promise to follow
all your suggestions. (But, please, take into account that I can
compile on this computer only during weekends.)

As the following command shows

lspci | grep "Audio"
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730
HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]

This computer has two sound devices. The first of them, SBx00 Azalia,
is probably built into the motherboard, and it is where I am trying to
get a sound from. The second one is probably built into the Radeon
graphic card and I am not going to use it at all unless it can output
the sound through the motherboard audio jacks.

My current kernel configuration is exactly the same as in the
gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 package as I have not changed anything there.

And finally: installed on the same computer legacy operating system
never had any sound problems.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
[.. reordering ..]
>And finally: installed on the same computer legacy operating system
>never had any sound problems.

Ah, oh, so the HW works and you got the speaker connector in the
hole. That's good![1] ;)

>At different times during the last one and a half years, I tried to
>make sound work on my new Gentoo install on a computer with Gigabyte
>GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and MSI ATI Radeon R4770 graphic card.

Ok, that board should be rather closeish to mine (GA-MA770TA-UD3.
Might use a different soundchip though, but those should work
automatically.

[..]
>lspci | grep "Audio"
>00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
>Azalia (Intel HDA)
>01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730
>HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]

Simliar here, but it'd be interesting, what actual device is that
onboard sound, here it's:

$ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
[plus the HDMI of the video card]

According to the MoBo manual, it's a Realtek ALC888 codec.

>My current kernel configuration is exactly the same as in the
>gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 package as I have not changed anything there.

This works here:

CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCI=y

CONFIG_SND_HDA=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_RECONFIG=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=m
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CORE=m
CONFIG_SND_SPI=y

Not sure if CONFIG_SND_SPI and CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC are needed, but
the other ones seem crucial.

Oh, the above is for a 4.14 kernel, but has been the same for a looong
time now.

HTH,
-dnh

[1] happend to me a few days ago when I, after a long time again, un-
and then wrongly replugged the speaker on my MoBo ;)

--
WoKo ist so etwas, wie eine seltsame Schleife. Wenn zwei von ihnen zusammen-
kommen, erkl?ren sie sich gegenseitig f?r nichtexistent und l?schen sich auf
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
Here's a strategy I occasionally use...

1) Download a Gentoo "minimal install" and set up a USB key to boot from it.

2) Boot the PC from the install USB key.

3) Execute the command...

lsmod | less

4) Manually scan the output for anything related to sound and write it down.

That should give you an idea of what modules the install decided on
after doing hardware probing. This'll work for almost any device. I
recently installed Gentoo on a older machine with an ethernet chip that
identified as a string of numbers which didn't help me. But checking
"lsmod | less" showed the "e1000e" module in use. I compiled in the
driver that gives that module and it works.

To get a screen capture that you can post here...

1) Boot from the install USB key.

2) mount /dev/sdxy /mnt/gentoo
Where "x" is a, or b, or c, etc. "y" is 1, or 2, or 3, etc as
appropriate for your machine.

3) lsmod > /mnt/gentoo/mymodules.txt

Reboot, from the hard drive, find "mymodules.txt" and check it. If
you need further help, post it on this list.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 17 ???. 2020 ?. ? 14:57, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
> >At different times during the last one and a half years, I tried to
> >make sound work on my new Gentoo install on a computer with Gigabyte
> >GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and MSI ATI Radeon R4770 graphic card.
>
> Ok, that board should be rather closeish to mine (GA-MA770TA-UD3.
> Might use a different soundchip though, but those should work
> automatically.
>
> [..]
> >lspci | grep "Audio"
> >00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
> >Azalia (Intel HDA)
> >01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730
> >HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
>
> Simliar here, but it'd be interesting, what actual device is that
> onboard sound, here it's:
>
> $ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep Audio
> 00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
> [plus the HDMI of the video card]
>
> According to the MoBo manual, it's a Realtek ALC888 codec.

My documentation says that it is Realtek ALC889A.

> >My current kernel configuration is exactly the same as in the
> >gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 package as I have not changed anything there.
>
> This works here:
>
> CONFIG_SND=y
> CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
> CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
> CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
> CONFIG_SND_PCI=y
> CONFIG_SND_HDA=m
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_RECONFIG=y
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=m
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=m
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CORE=m
> CONFIG_SND_SPI=y
>
> Not sure if CONFIG_SND_SPI and CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC are needed, but
> the other ones seem crucial.
>
> Oh, the above is for a 4.14 kernel, but has been the same for a looong
> time now.

Here is the comparative table for your kernel parameters vs those of
gentoo-kernel 5.4.64 and my last tried configuration in
gentoo-sources-4.19.86:
CONFIG | 4.14 | 5.4.64 | 4.19.86
SND | y | m | y
SND_TIMER | y | m | y
SND_PCM | y | m | y
SND_HWDEP | m | m | y
SND_DRIVERS | y | y | y
SND_PCI | y | y | y
SND_HDA | m | m | y
SND_HDA_INTEL | m | m | y
SND_HDA_HWDEP | y | y | n
SND_HDA_RECONFIG | y | y | y
SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK | m | m | y
SND_HDA_GENERIC | m | m | y
SND_HDA_CORE | m | m | y
SND_SPI | y | n | absent

The last option is absent from my config file of gentoo-source-4.19.86.
However, it seems that in gentoo-kernel-5.4-64 it also means nothing
because it leads to an empty section even if it is chosen.

So, it seems that at least the configuration for kernel 5.4.64 should
work. However, it does not.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 17 ???. 2020 ?. ? 15:08, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>:

> Here's a strategy I occasionally use...
>
> 1) Download a Gentoo "minimal install" and set up a USB key to boot from it.
>
> 2) Boot the PC from the install USB key.
>
> 3) Execute the command...
>
> lsmod | less
>
> 4) Manually scan the output for anything related to sound and write it down.

Thank you for your reply. I have actually used this approach in one of
my first attempts.
Below is the output of lsmod on the install usb with all modules that
I think is irrelevant to sound removed.

Module Size Used by
snd_hda_codec_realtek 77824 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 61440 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 49152 1
snd_hda_intel 32768 0
snd_hda_codec 90112 4
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core 57344 5
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_pcm 81920 4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer 28672 1 snd_pcm
snd 69632 7
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
soundcore 16384 1 snd

All these modules appear in the lsmod | less in my current Gentoo
install (gentoo-kernel-5.4.64 without changes).
Below I even made a table to be sure.
lsmod on install usb | lsmod on 5.4.64
SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK | +
SND_HDA_CODEC_GENERIC | +
SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI | +
SND_HDA_INTEL | +
SND_HDA_CODEC | +
SND_HDA_CORE | +
SND_PCM | +
SND_TIMER | +
SND | +
SOUNDCORE | +
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:53:43PM +0300, gevisz wrote

> Thank you for your reply. I have actually used this approach in one of
> my first attempts.
> Below is the output of lsmod on the install usb with all modules that
> I think is irrelevant to sound removed.

There is no mention of SND_PCI. When doing "make menuconfig", you
***MUST*** first enable...

Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices

Don't select any of the drivers under that option; just enable the
barebones option. If you don't enable it, then nothing shows up under
"HD Audio" where all the codecs you mention are listed. If you're doing
it manually, set...

CONFIG_SND_PCI=y

Either way, rebuild the kernel and try again. Hopefully, that solves
the problem.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
>??, 17 ???. 2020 ?. ? 14:57, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
[..]
>Here is the comparative table for your kernel parameters vs those of
>gentoo-kernel 5.4.64 and my last tried configuration in
>gentoo-sources-4.19.86:
>CONFIG | 4.14 | 5.4.64 | 4.19.86
>SND | y | m | y
>SND_TIMER | y | m | y
>SND_PCM | y | m | y
>SND_HWDEP | m | m | y
>SND_DRIVERS | y | y | y
>SND_PCI | y | y | y
>SND_HDA | m | m | y
>SND_HDA_INTEL | m | m | y
>SND_HDA_HWDEP | y | y | n
>SND_HDA_RECONFIG | y | y | y
>SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK | m | m | y
>SND_HDA_GENERIC | m | m | y
>SND_HDA_CORE | m | m | y
>SND_SPI | y | n | absent

Looks ok.

[..]
>So, it seems that at least the configuration for kernel 5.4.64 should
>work. However, it does not.

Try this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (or some file there):

====
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=auto
====

HTH,
-dnh

--
"Getting a penguin to pee on demand is _messy_." -- Linus Torvalds
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 02:28, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>:

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:53:43PM +0300, gevisz wrote
>
> > Thank you for your reply. I have actually used this approach in one of
> > my first attempts.
> > Below is the output of lsmod on the install usb with all modules that
> > I think is irrelevant to sound removed.
>
> There is no mention of SND_PCI. When doing "make menuconfig", you
> ***MUST*** first enable...
>
> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices
>
> Don't select any of the drivers under that option; just enable the
> barebones option. If you don't enable it, then nothing shows up under
> "HD Audio" where all the codecs you mention are listed. If you're doing
> it manually, set...
>
> CONFIG_SND_PCI=y
>
> Either way, rebuild the kernel and try again. Hopefully, that solves
> the problem.
>
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Thank you for your advice. The SND_PCI option is switched on in my
current generic kernel (gentoo-kernel-5.4.64) as well in the last
tried configuration of gentoo-sources-4.19.86. Moreover, almost every
possible option inside the section to which it points is compiled as a
module. I do not know why snd_pci does not show itself after entering
the lsmod command. Probably, because it is not a module but a section
of the kernel config.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 09:09, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
> >??, 17 ???. 2020 ?. ? 14:57, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
> [..]
> >Here is the comparative table for your kernel parameters vs those of
> >gentoo-kernel 5.4.64 and my last tried configuration in
> >gentoo-sources-4.19.86:
> >CONFIG | 4.14 | 5.4.64 | 4.19.86
> >SND | y | m | y
> >SND_TIMER | y | m | y
> >SND_PCM | y | m | y
> >SND_HWDEP | m | m | y
> >SND_DRIVERS | y | y | y
> >SND_PCI | y | y | y
> >SND_HDA | m | m | y
> >SND_HDA_INTEL | m | m | y
> >SND_HDA_HWDEP | y | y | n
> >SND_HDA_RECONFIG | y | y | y
> >SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK | m | m | y
> >SND_HDA_GENERIC | m | m | y
> >SND_HDA_CORE | m | m | y
> >SND_SPI | y | n | absent
>
> Looks ok.
>
> [..]
> >So, it seems that at least the configuration for kernel 5.4.64 should
> >work. However, it does not.
>
> Try this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (or some file there):
>
> ====
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel model=auto
> ====

I have not tried to edit any alsa configuration files before.
Here is a content of my current /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
## ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
## OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
## OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
So, after changes you suggested, it looks as follows:
[...]

Tried to run 'update-modules' command but got
bash: update-modules: command not found
message.

Will reboot now and report the result.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
>??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 09:09, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
[..]
>> Try this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (or some file there):
>>
>> ====
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel model=auto
>> ====
[..]
>So, after changes you suggested, it looks as follows:
># Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.
>
># ALSA portion
>alias char-major-116 snd
># OSS/Free portion
>alias char-major-14 soundcore
>
>##
>## IMPORTANT:
>## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
>## and then run `update-modules' command.
>## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
>##
>## ALSA portion
>## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
>alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
>## OSS/Free portion
>## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
>##
>
># OSS/Free portion - card #1
>alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>## OSS/Free portion - card #2
>## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
>## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
>## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
>alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
>alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
>alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
>
># Set this to the correct number of cards.
>options snd-hda-intel model=auto
>options snd cards_limit=1

Looks good, but snd-hda-codec-hdmi might still get loaded, so try with:

options snd cards_limit=2

(or even more)...

>Tried to run 'update-modules' command but got
>bash: update-modules: command not found
>message.

Should not be necessary.

[still no sound after reboot in FF/Skype]

Try:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

before tackling FF etc. And check alsamixer etc. for it might have
wrong options set as the device might have been moved..

HTH,
-dnh

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says,
"What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:

> No sound at least in Firefox. Tried it on youtube. Skype is currently
> uninstalled. So, I cannot check using it.

Just a thought.  Are you sure that everything is unmuted?  Years ago,
all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to mute.
If just one of them is muted, no sound.  I seem to recall when I did my
install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of.  I think I had
to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level once
it was unmuted.  Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the one I
mainly use.  In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control things
since it sits on the panel thingy.  The others are set at the max.

It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case there is
a muted setting somewhere.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]

Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 17:19, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, gevisz wrote:
> >??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 09:09, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de>:
> [..]
> >> Try this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (or some file there):
> >>
> >> ====
> >> alias char-major-116 snd
> >> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> >> options snd-hda-intel model=auto
> >> ====
> [..]
> >So, after changes you suggested, it looks as follows:
> ># Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.
> >
> ># ALSA portion
> >alias char-major-116 snd
> ># OSS/Free portion
> >alias char-major-14 soundcore
> >
> >##
> >## IMPORTANT:
> >## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
> >## and then run `update-modules' command.
> >## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
> >##
> >## ALSA portion
> >## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
> >alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> >## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
> >## OSS/Free portion
> >## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> >## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> >##
> >
> ># OSS/Free portion - card #1
> >alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> >alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> >alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> >alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> >alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> >## OSS/Free portion - card #2
> >## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
> >## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
> >## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
> >
> >alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> >alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> >alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
> >
> ># Set this to the correct number of cards.
> >options snd-hda-intel model=auto
> >options snd cards_limit=1
>
> Looks good, but snd-hda-codec-hdmi might still get loaded, so try with:
>
> options snd cards_limit=2
>
> (or even more)...
>
> >Tried to run 'update-modules' command but got
> >bash: update-modules: command not found
> >message.
>
> Should not be necessary.
>
> [still no sound after reboot in FF/Skype]
>
> Try:
>
> aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
>
> before tackling FF etc. And check alsamixer etc. for it might have
> wrong options set as the device might have been moved..

Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
different named wav files). There was a sound. Then I started Firefox
and opened some youtube videos. The sound was present as well. Then I
opened alsamixer. Some of the channels were muted and some had no full
sound. Nevertheless, the sound had been present. I unmuted all the
channels and set the full sound level on all of them. Then I again
checked that the sound is present. It was. So, I rebooted the
computer, ran alsamixer and made sure that all channels are unmuted
and have full sound level. But this time the sound was absent exactly
as I expected. Neither aplay nor Firefox produced any sound. I have
already seen this behavior when I experimented with the kernel
configuration about 8 months ago: the same kernel options, the same
configuration files, all alsamixer channels are unmuted but after one
reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 17:20, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
> gevisz wrote:
> >
> > No sound at least in Firefox. Tried it on youtube. Skype is currently
> > uninstalled. So, I cannot check using it.
>
> Just a thought. Are you sure that everything is unmuted? Years ago,
> all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to mute.
> If just one of them is muted, no sound. I seem to recall when I did my
> install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
> Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of. I think I had
> to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level once
> it was unmuted. Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the one I
> mainly use. In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control things
> since it sits on the panel thingy. The others are set at the max.
>
> It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case there is
> a muted setting somewhere.

Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:
> ??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 17:20, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
>> gevisz wrote:
>>> No sound at least in Firefox. Tried it on youtube. Skype is currently
>>> uninstalled. So, I cannot check using it.
>> Just a thought. Are you sure that everything is unmuted? Years ago,
>> all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to mute.
>> If just one of them is muted, no sound. I seem to recall when I did my
>> install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
>> Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of. I think I had
>> to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level once
>> it was unmuted. Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the one I
>> mainly use. In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control things
>> since it sits on the panel thingy. The others are set at the max.
>>
>> It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case there is
>> a muted setting somewhere.
> Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
> I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.

Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice.  I
suspect you have that installed.  You should have a text version, like a
console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM.  Pick your
poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
low, like 1 out of 100 or something.  I think hitting the "m" key
toggles the mute.  I think it's the arrow keys to increase or decrease
volume and move from channel to channel.  It has been a while since I
used that so can't recall.

Let's just hope it is that simple.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:

> Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
> cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
> different named wav files). There was a sound. Then I started Firefox
> and opened some youtube videos. The sound was present as well. Then I
> opened alsamixer. Some of the channels were muted and some had no full
> sound. Nevertheless, the sound had been present. I unmuted all the
> channels and set the full sound level on all of them. Then I again
> checked that the sound is present. It was. So, I rebooted the
> computer, ran alsamixer and made sure that all channels are unmuted
> and have full sound level. But this time the sound was absent exactly
> as I expected. Neither aplay nor Firefox produced any sound. I have
> already seen this behavior when I experimented with the kernel
> configuration about 8 months ago: the same kernel options, the same
> configuration files, all alsamixer channels are unmuted but after one
> reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?

Try adding alsasound to the default runlevel.  And then:

/etc/init.d/alsasound start

and then

/etc/init.d/alsasound save

I think it is save.  If it pukes, may have to peek into the init script
and see what option it is. That should make it survive a reboot.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I found a new sledge hammer.  Is this being sent as plain text
only?  No HTML at all?
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, Dale wrote:
>gevisz wrote:
>> Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
>> cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
>> different named wav files). There was a sound.
[..]
>> reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?
>
>Try adding alsasound to the default runlevel.? And then:
>
>/etc/init.d/alsasound start
>
>and then
>
>/etc/init.d/alsasound save

One should run that '/etc/init.d/alsasound save' once when sound
works, so that later save on stop and restore on reboot work ;)

BTW: I liked the SUSE way of symlinking init-scripts to /usr/sbin/rc*,
e.g. /usr/sbin/rcalsasound -> /etc/init.d/alsasound
I now do that (to /usr/local/sbin/rc*) for stuff that I don't want in
a runlevel, but still start/stop occasionally ;)

>P. S.? I found a new sledge hammer.? Is this being sent as plain text
>only?? No HTML at all??

Yes.

-dnh

--
All technology is suspect, and must be considered potentially dangerous.
-- BUTLERIAN JIHAD, Handbook for Our Grandchildren
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 21:15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:

> gevisz wrote:
> > ??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 17:20, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
> >> Just a thought. Are you sure that everything is unmuted? Years ago,
> >> all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to mute.
> >> If just one of them is muted, no sound. I seem to recall when I did my
> >> install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
> >> Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of. I think I had
> >> to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level once
> >> it was unmuted. Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the one I
> >> mainly use. In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control things
> >> since it sits on the panel thingy. The others are set at the max.
> >>
> >> It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case there is
> >> a muted setting somewhere.
> > Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
> > I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
>
> Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice. I
> suspect you have that installed. You should have a text version, like a
> console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM. Pick your
> poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
> low, like 1 out of 100 or something. I think hitting the "m" key
> toggles the mute.

I am sorry to confess that I should use M to unmute a channel in
alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought that arrows up and
down do all the work. :(

So, now the problem has been solved and I can return to the custom kernel.

One last question: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI
audio device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?

And thank you all who replied to this thread.

Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 00:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 21:15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
> >
> > gevisz wrote:

> > > Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
> > > I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
> >
> > Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice. I
> > suspect you have that installed. You should have a text version, like a
> > console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM. Pick your
> > poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
> > low, like 1 out of 100 or something. I think hitting the "m" key
> > toggles the mute.

Correction:
I am sorry to confess that I FORGOT that I should use M to unmute

Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:

> Correction:
> I am sorry to confess that I FORGOT that I should use M to unmute
> a channel in alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought
> that arrows up and down do all the work. :(

Well, when I did my first install, I had no idea.  I had to google it or
something to get it to unmute.  Once I found it, it was like, duh.  :-D

On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel.  The only
modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
each so whatever works and you like.

Glad it's working now.  I need a shower.  I been cutting down trees and
dragging them to a pile to rot or burn.  I'm tired, I stink which
requires a shower and I'm hungry.  Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, Dale wrote:
>> gevisz wrote:
>>> Thank you for your help. I turned on the computer, changed options snd
>>> cards_limit to 2 and ran aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav (I have a
>>> different named wav files). There was a sound.
> [..]
>>> reboot I have a sound and on another I have no sound. Any thoughts?
>> Try adding alsasound to the default runlevel.? And then:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/alsasound start
>>
>> and then
>>
>> /etc/init.d/alsasound save
> One should run that '/etc/init.d/alsasound save' once when sound
> works, so that later save on stop and restore on reboot work ;)
>
> BTW: I liked the SUSE way of symlinking init-scripts to /usr/sbin/rc*,
> e.g. /usr/sbin/rcalsasound -> /etc/init.d/alsasound
> I now do that (to /usr/local/sbin/rc*) for stuff that I don't want in
> a runlevel, but still start/stop occasionally ;)

Well, I was hoping it was obvious.? I just came home to snack before
headed back out into the woods so I was in a bit of a rush.?

>> P. S.? I found a new sledge hammer.? Is this being sent as plain text
>> only?? No HTML at all??
> Yes.
>
> -dnh

Thank goodness.? I been trying to get that to do the right thing for
months.? Thanks for confirming.?

Dale

:-)? :-)?
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 02:18, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:

> On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel. The only
> modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
> each so whatever works and you like.

I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)

So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?

> Glad it's working now. I need a shower. I been cutting down trees and
> dragging them to a pile to rot or burn. I'm tired, I stink which
> requires a shower and I'm hungry. Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
> across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw. :/

Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:
> ??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 02:18, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
>> On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel. The only
>> modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
>> each so whatever works and you like.
> I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
> or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)
>
> So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
> device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?

Ahh.  Well, if you build it and then need it later, it's already there.
If you don't and then need it later, you have to go back and build it
and may be in a hurry.  I tend to get all hardware working even if I'm
not using it at the time.  Of course, you could plan to do that when you
update your next kernel and it's just a little more to do but you will
be doing most of it anyway since you're updating.  It's a thought.

>> Glad it's working now. I need a shower. I been cutting down trees and
>> dragging them to a pile to rot or burn. I'm tired, I stink which
>> requires a shower and I'm hungry. Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
>> across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw. :/
> Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
> intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
> month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)

Well, when on this mailing list, you will get ideas pretty fast.  Given
that you had things working but not making noise, my first thought was
the mute.  I ran into that a couple times myself in the past.  One would
think it would default to a low level but something you can hear.  I
guess tho they think you should be forced to adjust the mixers and other
sound control settings so that you can enable/leave disabled to your
liking.  It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I guess.  ;-)

Back to cutting trees.  Got my insect spray on today tho.  Things sound
like large helicopters flying around out there.  O-o

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
gevisz wrote:
> ??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 18:13, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
>> gevisz wrote:
>>> I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
>>> or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)
>>>
>>> So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
>>> device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?
>>>
>> Ahh. Well, if you build it and then need it later, it's already there.
>> If you don't and then need it later, you have to go back and build it
>> and may be in a hurry. I tend to get all hardware working even if I'm
>> not using it at the time.
> I have just thought that it may be better if the kernel knows how to
> deal with this piece of hardware even if it is not going to use it.

True.  It may improve how the hardware works.  One could test the
theory.  One could wait until the next kernel build to do it too.  Lots
of options there.  ;-)

>>> Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
>>> intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
>>> month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)
>>>

>> Well, when on this mailing list, you will get ideas pretty fast. Given
>> that you had things working but not making noise, my first thought was
>> the mute. I ran into that a couple times myself in the past. One would
>> think it would default to a low level but something you can hear. I
>> guess tho they think you should be forced to adjust the mixers and other
>> sound control settings so that you can enable/leave disabled to your
>> liking. It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I guess. ;-)
>>
>> Back to cutting trees. Got my insect spray on today tho. Things sound
>> like large helicopters flying around out there. O-o
> Maybe, it makes sense to find an easier job? :)

I'm doing that on my place here.  Trying to make things better.  It's a
hard job and I'm amazed I have done as much as I have.  I'm about done
cleaning up what I started but I may not cut any more this year.  I can
tell my old joints are starting to get upset.

Did get some firewood for a friend out of it tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 18:13, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:

> gevisz wrote:
> > ??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 02:18, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
> >> On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel. The only
> >> modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
> >> each so whatever works and you like.
> >
> > I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
> > or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)
> >
> > So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
> > device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?
> >

> Ahh. Well, if you build it and then need it later, it's already there.
> If you don't and then need it later, you have to go back and build it
> and may be in a hurry. I tend to get all hardware working even if I'm
> not using it at the time.

I have just thought that it may be better if the kernel knows how to
deal with this piece of hardware even if it is not going to use it.

> >> Glad it's working now. I need a shower. I been cutting down trees and
> >> dragging them to a pile to rot or burn. I'm tired, I stink which
> >> requires a shower and I'm hungry. Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
> >> across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw. :/
> > Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
> > intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
> > month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)
> >

> Well, when on this mailing list, you will get ideas pretty fast. Given
> that you had things working but not making noise, my first thought was
> the mute. I ran into that a couple times myself in the past. One would
> think it would default to a low level but something you can hear. I
> guess tho they think you should be forced to adjust the mixers and other
> sound control settings so that you can enable/leave disabled to your
> liking. It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I guess. ;-)
>
> Back to cutting trees. Got my insect spray on today tho. Things sound
> like large helicopters flying around out there. O-o

Maybe, it makes sense to find an easier job? :)

1 2  View All