keyboard in gentoo?

I have tried a number of keyboards but the various guides do not say how
to integrate a soft keyboard in to a window manager (I am using xfwm4
but could change) or login screen.

I can manually start them, but they do not show up when an editor,  text
box or login is required so I have to attach a physical keyboard to
regain control.

BillK
Re: soft keyboard for touchscreen [ In reply to ]
Hi William

Le dim. 18 oct. 2020 à 03:05, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> a
écrit :

> Can someone recommend a guide to installing a touch screen aware soft
> keyboard in gentoo?
>
> I have tried a number of keyboards but the various guides do not say how
> to integrate a soft keyboard in to a window manager (I am using xfwm4
> but could change) or login screen.
>
> I can manually start them, but they do not show up when an editor, text
> box or login is required so I have to attach a physical keyboard to
> regain control.
>

> BillK

If you're using SDDM, you can activate the virtual keyboard with the
following line in the config file /etc/sddm.conf

[General]
# Input method module
InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard

For the session itself, under KDE on Ubuntu I use Onboard [1], which is not
available in Portage
I found a blog page [2] explaining how to install Onboard on Gentoo, with
an ebuild, but it's for Python 3.4 to 3.6
I've adapted the ebuild to Python 3.7 in my overlay [3] and it worked as
expected, either from another PC through VNC or from a touch screen.
Onboard seems to originate from Gnome, and as I use it under KDE, it should
be independent from the window manager.

Best regards
Mickaël Bucas

[1] https://launchpad.net/onboard
[2]
https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/25/installing-the-onboard-on-screen-keyboard-in-gentoo-linux/
[3] https://github.com/mbucas/gentoo-overlay
Re: soft keyboard for touchscreen [ In reply to ]
Thanks Mickaël,

    I have onboard installed from an overlay (I have tried a couple of
different ones, they seem to be variants of the same original package)

How are you starting onboard? - the packages do not come with an
initscript or hooks into X that I can see (though they seem to depend on
systemd - I use openrc)

BillK

Re: soft keyboard for touchscreen [ In reply to ]
Le dim. 18 oct. 2020 à 19:17, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> a
écrit :

> Thanks Mickaël,
>
> I have onboard installed from an overlay (I have tried a couple of
> different ones, they seem to be variants of the same original package)
>
> How are you starting onboard? - the packages do not come with an
> initscript or hooks into X that I can see (though they seem to depend on
> systemd - I use openrc)
>
> BillK

I start it manually, I've never thought about automating it :)
On some systems I'm sometimes physically connected with a real keyboard and
I don't need it in this situation.

Best regards
Mickaël Bucas

Re: soft keyboard for touchscreen [ In reply to ]
Thanks,

    I needed to add to the start session for xfce4 - now its started
automaticly and connects to X when needed.

Thnaks for the hints I needed to track it down.

BillK