--
Dan Egli
On my Test server
Re: X Forwarding from virtual host [ In reply to ]

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/geoschem/docs/putty_install.html
Re: X Forwarding from virtual host [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 1:20 PM Dan Egli <dan@newideatest.site> wrote:

> Okay, this is I HOPE a simple enough question. I have a virtual server
> running on my Win10 Host (not my ideal O/S!) that has a full X environment
> on it. I usually connect via Putty(ssh) using VirtualBox's Host Only
> network. That's great for text, but how do I set things up so that I can
> run X programs on the virtual box and have them show on my Win host? I have
> an implimentation of X for Windows (Xming)running, and I set putty to
> forward X connections, but when I try something as silly as xeyes, it
> fails. I've notice that the DISPLAY environment isn't being set, but
> setting it myself doesn't seem to help. The Virtual Server's IP is
> 192.168.56.25 and the Host automatically gets .1, so I tried setting
> DISPLAY=129.168.56.1:0 and it doesn't work. I get a message "No protocol
> specified" followed by the error "Error: Can't open display: 192.168.56.1:0
> .0"

Usually when you forward X over ssh, DISPLAY is a port on the ssh client,
which is then forwarded by ssh to the remote port, that is, the port on the
remote server that the X server is listening on. So putty should be
automatically setting DISPLAY to something like 192.168.56.25:10.0 (ie
port 6010 on the guest) when you enable X forwarding. If it's not i'd say
there's something wrong with the putty setup.

That said, i think you should be able to just connect directly to
192.168.56.1:0.0 anyway - does Xming have an xhost setting? Does netstat on
the host show its listening on port 6000? Windows firewall?