hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
this in 404 lines of py code:

https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass

hth.

rgrds,
cm.
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 05:15:01AM +0000, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
> hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
> this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
> my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
> this in 404 lines of py code:
>
> https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I think you should rephrase the README on the
GitHub page. Instead of constantly explaining the reasons you dislike KeePassXC
in particular, it would be more attractive to explain the merits of your _own_
program, and why people---who may have never used any password-manager---should
download NSAPass. There are also quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes,
which I suggest you fix before tagging the next release.

It is not my place to criticise your opposition to capital letters (although I
do not personally understand it myself), but if you want to garner a serious a
serious user-base, you will need to write your README and code comments in a
more professional manner. Currently, users and contributors might be repelled.

Irrelevant aside. You mention that one of the reasons that NSAPass is superior
to KeePassXC is the GitHub-generated distributions of languages: please realise
that this is often grossly inaccurate, and is probably not something on which
you should capitalise in your critique of the project. Rest assured, the entire
project is written in C++, with header files being erroneously classified as
plain C [1]. The Objective C++ is a very small proportion of the entire
codebase, used for MacOSX-specific builds, and everything else just consists of
build utilities and scripts. Thankfully, GitHub uses `linguist` for automatic
language-detection, which supports a manual override [2], although this feature
is unknown to most.

Although it's wonderful that you're writing good code for others to use (and one
of the best ways to learn programming), it is not a good idea to start your
endeavours by placing the logo of a seven-year-matured project with over
two-hundred contributors and many commercial sponsors next to some clip-art of
an unpleasant animalistic product (the most courteous description of which I
could think) and some out-of-date cheese.

Other than the "vanity" issues, it looks alright; you've clearly put quite a bit
of effort into its development. Once it's matured for a few more months, and you
pick up a small user-base, you could post it to Gentoo-Dev (as I did with my
latest project [3]) and see if it gets picked up by anyone wanting to put it
into the Portage tree (gentoo.git).

Hope this helps,
Ashley.

[1] https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/search?l=c
[2] https://github.com/github/linguist#using-gitattributes
[3] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/fa864fb2169d4c80075a7c97604a747d

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117
DA96 D18A
8A7B B0D2
A30E BF25
F290 A8AA
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 1:15 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
<toraboracaveman@protonmail.com> wrote:

> hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
> this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
> my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
> this in 404 lines of py code:
>
> https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass

Probably won't win an obfuscated python contest, but I was amused.

I'll just go ahead and add in that the NSA really should just offer a
data backup service super-cheap. Chances are they already have a copy
of most of our data, so why not offer a service to allow us to get it
back from them if we lose it?

US residents are basically already paying (through taxes) for a
service to backup all their data. Why not close the loop and actually
get some personal benefit from having that data returned to them when
they end up needing it?

Since we're generously paying to back up everybody else's data as well
around the world, I guess we could sell the restoration service as a
revenue generator outside the US.

--
Rich
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]
On 17 July 2020 07:15:01 CEST, Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@protonmail.com> wrote:
>hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
>this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
>my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
>this in 404 lines of py code:
>
> https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass
>
>hth.
>
>rgrds,
>cm.

Looks nice. Except for:
I like having a GUI where I can easily access the different account details.
Does it use Keepass databases? Or something you designed yourself?
Can it work with password database files that are stored on a central server without having to change the code?
A password database with NSA in the name does not inspire confidence.

--
Joost
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]
On 7/17/20 8:11 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 1:15 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
> <toraboracaveman@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi - recently i heard some guys were suffering in
>> this list from keepassxc, which reminded me of my
>> my own. so i finally decided to put an end to
>> this in 404 lines of py code:
>>
>> https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass
>>

> Probably won't win an obfuscated python contest, but I was amused.
>
> I'll just go ahead and add in that the NSA really should just offer a
> data backup service super-cheap. Chances are they already have a copy
> of most of our data, so why not offer a service to allow us to get it
> back from them if we lose it?

Never going to happen cause it would validate what everone knows that
the gov. agencies are collecting up massive amounts of illegal data, via
large corporations that DO have full access to our privacy and they are
being paid by the US gov.

> US residents are basically already paying (through taxes) for a
> service to backup all their data. Why not close the loop and actually
> get some personal benefit from having that data returned to them when
> they end up needing it?
>
> Since we're generously paying to back up everybody else's data as well
> around the world, I guess we could sell the restoration service as a
> revenue generator outside the US.

Hmmmmm. Nice info. No diagreements, but the issue is much deeper!

I'm a bit more proactive, in thought. So, imho, one day we'll have a
presidential candidate that postulates constitutional reform: If you
have no felony convictions, then you have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to superior
security than the government AND they must go through a public court
system process to LEGALLY obtain the right to spy in a given Citizen, in
good standing.

Own guns and shoot whoever violates the interior of your home, or
threatens you with bodily harm. Ignore the rest. Wanna block\reform the
feds? There is a pathway.

REAL RANDOM and asynchronous multipath (you'll have to figure out the
second one for yourself....

Not fakes like these DoD posers:

It's lives at http://wheelhorse.io

But the real deal:

RR: https://www.realrandom.co/wp/

And of course you have to provide/instantiate
Root CA services (another can of worms)....

The FF are scared to death of these guys (RR), cause they are upstanding
and legally establish. Sure, Rich, a guy like you could do a
prototye/test, and drop my name on them to get this all for free, for a
90 day test. I'm too close to them, spiritually, just so you know.

I'm rapidly aging and may not have many more years at the keyboard. Time
is short, before the great satan takes over our constitutionally given
rights and guarantees to privacy.

be blessed,
James
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 02:46:15PM -0400, james wrote:
> Never going to happen cause it would validate what everone knows that the
> gov. agencies are collecting up massive amounts of illegal data, via large
> corporations that DO have full access to our privacy and they are being paid
> by the US gov.

Surely the devilish corporations would be paying the Government for access to
the data, not the other way around ?

> I'm a bit more proactive, in thought. So, imho, one day we'll have a
> presidential candidate that postulates constitutional reform: If you have no
> felony convictions, then you have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to superior security
> than the government AND they must go through a public court system process
> to LEGALLY obtain the right to spy in a given Citizen, in good standing.

It sounds like the Presidential Candidate's prospective administration is giving
you these rights, not God. If the Man himself had wanted Americans to have these
rights, why not give them out now ? Why wait for a new President ? The time for
renewed insanity is now, Brother.

> Own guns and shoot whoever violates the interior of your home, or threatens
> you with bodily harm. Ignore the rest. Wanna block\reform the feds? There
> is a pathway.

How about the exterior of your home ? I am very protective of my flower beds and
hanging baskets. If some bastard waltzed onto my driveway and touched my hanging
baskets, his dancing career would soon cease.

> REAL RANDOM and asynchronous multipath (you'll have to figure out the second
> one for yourself....

True randomness has already been achieved: just take the next error code that
will be thrown out by any Microsoft product. I doubt any dirty actors will be
able to predict that !

> I'm rapidly aging and may not have many more years at the keyboard. Time is
> short, before the great satan takes over our constitutionally given rights
> and guarantees to privacy.

Hopefully God will choose to act soon. The change might come faster in cultures
which believe in more than one higher being (e.g., many parts of India). Are
they all equally likely to bring change ?

> be blessed,

I'm a Satanist.

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117
DA96 D18A
8A7B B0D2
A30E BF25
F290 A8AA
Re: nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others) [ In reply to ]