Mailing List Archive

Booting the system...
I got the system installed, and everything seems to be okay with three
exceptions:

1) I have to run "boot disk1:1" at the PROM prompt to get the system to
boot. I assume I can set that into the PROM, just like I set the cdrom
to be what is boot, no? If not, how do I resolve that? FYI - In case it
matters, I did accidentally delete the #3 partition during the
partitioning, but recreated it using the 's' command in fdisk.

2) Just before #3 happens, I notice a message from the kernel stating it
can't find the initrd image located in /boot - generated by genkernel. I
didn't setup a _separate_ boot partition, but that shouldn't be an issue
for SILO should it?

3) The system loads the kernel, which runs a little, then switches vid
modes and blanks - it doesn't return to the screen like the 2007.0 2617
does when the atyfb is not disabled, it just blanks, and dies per #2.
Using 'video=atyfb:off' resolves this and reveals the messages. I'd
really like to be able to not have to use 'atyfb:off' as it really hurts
the eyes the way it reprints the screen all the time for the littlest
line movement. Any recommendations? (I could live with it if I
absolutely had to.)

FYI - after #3 the system completely hangs, and despite the message
about STOP+A, it doesn't work until I completely cycle the power the
system - no return to the PROM; the soft-power button _does_ work for this.

TIA,

Ben

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]
Figured it out. I could have either adjusted the NVRAM setting for the 'disk' or move the Hard drive to the other slot (which is what I did).

Still running into problems with the boot process though - this solves #1. However, #2 is still a big issue. It doesn't seem to be finding a valid initrd image. Shouldn't genkernel have built a valid one to install?

TIA,

Ben

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]

Hi Ben,

Good about #1. There's actually a lot of good information on the www
about OpenBoot.

As for #2, what does your silo.conf look like? In my experience <which
doesn't involve genkernel>, an initrd isn't required. Can you boot the
box from the install disc and check out the current kernel config? I'd
say disable initrd and any references to it (and make sure that you're not
trying to boot from one.

For #3, are you using the PROM framebuffer as well as the ATI (aty) one?
Maybe toggling the PROM framebuffer console is the solution...

Here's the relevant snippet from my Ultra 10's kernel config; hope that
helps a little:

#
# Console display driver support
#
# CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
CONFIG_FONTS=y
# CONFIG_FONT_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_7x14 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set
CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_10x18 is not set
CONFIG_LOGO=y
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO is not set
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224 is not set
CONFIG_LOGO_SUN_CLUT224=y
# CONFIG_FB_SPLASH is not set

brant williams
FCAA CDCA 20BC 3925 D634 F5C4 7420 6784 4DEB 6002

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]
Here's my silo.conf:

# Example of how can be silo.conf set up
partition = 1
root = /dev/sda1
timeout = 300

default = Linux

image = /boot/kernel-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
initrd = /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer
label = Linux2624gr3
alias = Linux
append = "video=atyfb:off real_root=/dev/sda1"

The 'initrd' image is one I modified. The original genkernel generated image is /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 and did not seem to have a /lib/firmware directory, nor did it seem to have any modules, such as the one I very much need - qla2xxx. I generated the new one via the following method:

zcat -d ../initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 > initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file
cpio -i -d -H newc --no-absolute-filenames < ./initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file

I then added the following directories:
/lib/firmware
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/base
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/sbus

I also did a 'touch' of all the module names in /etc/modules to try to add them. But I don't see them getting loaded right.

And created a new initrd via:

find ./ | cpio -Hnewc -o > /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio
gzip initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio
mv initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio.gz initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer

The system boots, and I think it now finds the initrd image - my first error was I had 'initrd' instead of 'initramfs' in silo.conf; however, it is still not working.
It theoretically loads the modules (though I see no evidence of the qla2xxx controller being found), starts mdev, and tries to mount /dev/sda1 - at which point it can't find /dev/sda1 since the qla2xxx controller has not yet been found and initialized, and crashes. Despite the message about starting a shell, pressing 'q' or anything else - I can't use STOP+A to get back to the PROM, nor can I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the system. I have to power-cycle to reboot.

Per #3 - I do seem to have CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE enabled. I will try that the next time I build the kernel. Thanks for the tip. Right now I just need to get the system fully booting. (Then I can rebuild the kernel appropriately.)

Thanks!

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 27 March 2008 16:41, BRM wrote:
> Here's my silo.conf:
>
> # Example of how can be silo.conf set up
> partition = 1
> root = /dev/sda1
> timeout = 300
>
> default = Linux
>
> image = /boot/kernel-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> initrd = /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer
> label = Linux2624gr3
> alias = Linux
> append = "video=atyfb:off real_root=/dev/sda1"
>

> The 'initrd' image is one I modified. The original genkernel generated
> image is /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 and did not
> seem to have a /lib/firmware directory, nor did it seem to have any
> modules, such as the one I very much need - qla2xxx. I generated the new
> one via the following method:
>
> zcat -d ../initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 >
> initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file cpio -i -d -H newc
> --no-absolute-filenames <
> ./initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file
>
> I then added the following directories:
> /lib/firmware
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/base
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/sbus

Ben,

you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files, not
the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether. You don't
need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal putting all of
them in /lib/firmware.

Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate rules,
including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have on the
initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev. Just copy it.

Then recreate the cpio.gz and try again. My guess is you forgot to include
the actual firmware. But you're getting very close to a working system :-)

Oh and last but far from least, you need a working /init script on the
initramfs. All it needs to do is mount /proc, /sys, /dev as a tmpfs, start
udev, mount the actual rootfs device (as per your silo.conf) and switch_root.

IvanK.

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:47 -0400
Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 March 2008 16:41, BRM wrote:
> > Here's my silo.conf:
> >
> > # Example of how can be silo.conf set up
> > partition = 1
> > root = /dev/sda1
> > timeout = 300
> >
> > default = Linux
> >
> > image = /boot/kernel-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
> > initrd = /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer
> > label = Linux2624gr3
> > alias = Linux
> > append = "video=atyfb:off real_root=/dev/sda1"
> >

> > The 'initrd' image is one I modified. The original genkernel generated
> > image is /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 and did not
> > seem to have a /lib/firmware directory, nor did it seem to have any
> > modules, such as the one I very much need - qla2xxx. I generated the new
> > one via the following method:
> >
> > zcat -d ../initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 >
> > initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file cpio -i -d -H newc
> > --no-absolute-filenames <
> > ./initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.file
> >
> > I then added the following directories:
> > /lib/firmware
> > /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/base
> > /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/scsi
> > /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/kernel/drivers/sbus
>

> Ben,
>
> you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
> ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files, not
> the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether. You don't
> need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal putting all of
> them in /lib/firmware.

Actually, you can get the firmware by
emerge qla-fc-firmware
(We have a package for it).

Also, if you want to try it, you can now use genkernel for building
this (although it sounds like you are close enough that you would
likely lose time that way). The trick with genkernel is that the
stable version probably will not work, but the ~sparc version will
(that is, sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.10_pre7).
> Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate rules,
> including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have on the
> initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev. Just copy it.

Interesting. Does that approach work? (I guess it must because you
seem to be using it.) Normally, the qla2xxxx driver loads the firmware
(and when you use genkernel, you also build the driver as a module and
put the firmware into the initrd). I'm interested to see how this
works.

> Then recreate the cpio.gz and try again. My guess is you forgot to include
> the actual firmware. But you're getting very close to a working system :-)
>
> Oh and last but far from least, you need a working /init script on the
> initramfs. All it needs to do is mount /proc, /sys, /dev as a tmpfs, start
> udev, mount the actual rootfs device (as per your silo.conf) and switch_root.
>
> IvanK.
>

> > I also did a 'touch' of all the module names in /etc/modules to try to add
> > them. But I don't see them getting loaded right.
> >
> > And created a new initrd via:
> >
> > find ./ | cpio -Hnewc -o >
> > /boot/initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio gzip
> > initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio
> > mv initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer.cpio.gz
> > initramfs-genkernel-sparc64-2.6.24-gentoo-r3.bmeyer
> >
> > The system boots, and I think it now finds the initrd image - my first
> > error was I had 'initrd' instead of 'initramfs' in silo.conf; however, it
> > is still not working. It theoretically loads the modules (though I see no
> > evidence of the qla2xxx controller being found), starts mdev, and tries to
> > mount /dev/sda1 - at which point it can't find /dev/sda1 since the qla2xxx
> > controller has not yet been found and initialized, and crashes. Despite the
> > message about starting a shell, pressing 'q' or anything else - I can't use
> > STOP+A to get back to the PROM, nor can I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the
> > system. I have to power-cycle to reboot.
> >
> > Per #3 - I do seem to have CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE enabled. I will try that the
> > next time I build the kernel. Thanks for the tip. Right now I just need to
> > get the system fully booting. (Then I can rebuild the kernel
> > appropriately.)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ben

- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)
z{h¢ÊZ­Éb²Û z{h¢Šà™¨¥Šx%ŠË
Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]
I already have the firmware on initrd - pulled from /lib/firmware on the main disk, which was built using the mentioned qlogic firmware package.
So, I'm guessing I'm just missing the udev stuff then...hmm....

Quick question - how does mdev and udev differ? It seems to be running mdev, which something I came across mentioned that it is a udev replacement seemingly for initrd images. Any how...

how do they differ?

And could I just pull the udev files from the main disk to do the work?

I really hope I can get this working sometime on Friday - that's my last day for being able to get this system working.

TIA,

Ben

P.S. Sorry, I would have replied in-line, but the new Yahoo! interface is a real pain for replies.

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 27 March 2008 19:05, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:47 -0400

[snip]

> > you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
> > ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files,
> > not the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether.
> > You don't need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal
> > putting all of them in /lib/firmware.
>
> Actually, you can get the firmware by
> emerge qla-fc-firmware
> (We have a package for it).
>
> Also, if you want to try it, you can now use genkernel for building
> this (although it sounds like you are close enough that you would
> likely lose time that way). The trick with genkernel is that the
> stable version probably will not work, but the ~sparc version will
> (that is, sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.10_pre7).
>
> > Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate
> > rules, including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have
> > on the initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev.
> > Just copy it.
>
> Interesting. Does that approach work? (I guess it must because you
> seem to be using it.) Normally, the qla2xxxx driver loads the firmware
> (and when you use genkernel, you also build the driver as a module and
> put the firmware into the initrd). I'm interested to see how this
> works.

Ferris,

Indeed it works -- that's the way our ipcop-sparc initramfs loads the
firmware. I did try it without udev but simply modprobing the module did not
load the firmware.

If you're interested I can send you our ipcop-sparc initramfs image.

IvanK.

[snip]

Re: Booting the system... [ In reply to ]

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:23:33 -0400
Ivan Kabaivanov <chepati@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 March 2008 19:05, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:47 -0400
> >

> [snip]
>
> > > you're almost there. Get the binary firmware from
> > > ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware (just get the .bin files,
> > > not the .bin-version files). There are five or six files altogether.
> > > You don't need all, but they are relatively small so it's no big deal
> > > putting all of them in /lib/firmware.
> >
> > Actually, you can get the firmware by
> > emerge qla-fc-firmware
> > (We have a package for it).
> >
> > Also, if you want to try it, you can now use genkernel for building
> > this (although it sounds like you are close enough that you would
> > likely lose time that way). The trick with genkernel is that the
> > stable version probably will not work, but the ~sparc version will
> > (that is, sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.10_pre7).
> >
> > > Make sure on the initramfs you have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with appropriate
> > > rules, including one to handle firmware loading. Also make sure you have
> > > on the initramfs /lib/udev/firmware.sh. This script is part of udev.
> > > Just copy it.
> >
> > Interesting. Does that approach work? (I guess it must because you
> > seem to be using it.) Normally, the qla2xxxx driver loads the firmware
> > (and when you use genkernel, you also build the driver as a module and
> > put the firmware into the initrd). I'm interested to see how this
> > works.
>
> Ferris,
>
> Indeed it works -- that's the way our ipcop-sparc initramfs loads the
> firmware. I did try it without udev but simply modprobing the module did not
> load the firmware.
>
> If you're interested I can send you our ipcop-sparc initramfs image.
>
> IvanK.
>
> [snip]

I think I know what it must look like. I'm just trying to guess why it
works. I guess that udev must set up the devices, because the driver
can't without the firmware. Clearly you've thought about this a lot
more than I have. (Or maybe I'm just confusing myself. :) )

Raúl, this might be of use to you?