Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6]
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org>
To: Dylan Wakefield <dylanw@wix.com.au>
Subject: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:07:24 +0000

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 05:25:31 +1000
Dylan Wakefield <dylanw@wix.com.au> wrote:

> Hello Ferris,
>
> Sorry to email directly, you once said it was ok.
>
> I've got a drop in replacement for the current Icedtea6 ebuild, it
> enables sparc support.
>
> I've posted it to the usual place.
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/159780
>

> Cheers,
> Dylan

Thanks,
I'll look at it later this week.

===========================

Sparc people,
I've looked at Dylan's ebuild. It does enable sparc support for IcedTea6, it installs
it correctly, and java-config sees it and will correctly enable it.

I am not a java expert. However, I did test it briefly with the netlogo simulation
program (netlogo-4.0.3, available from third parties) and it can run a few of the demo
models (I have not done an exhaustive check). This is a *major* step --- we've never
before even able to get this program to load.

Thus, if any of you have been wanting java or need it on sparc, please give the
ebuild icedtea6-bin-1.4.1.ebuild a test. If it looks good to you, I'll work with the
java people to drop it into the tree. It's a replacement for the existing ebuild,
and we can easily distribute the sparc-specific parts of the distfiles to the
mirrors.

Dylan, many thanks for all your efforts --- looks like this might be a winner. Are
you ever on IRC? If so, I'd like a few minutes of your time. (Yes, I see that
there are time zone issues.)

Thanks and regards,
Ferris

Regards,
Ferris

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)
RE: [Fwd: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6] [ In reply to ]
FYI -

just installed icedtea6 on my Ultra2

updated virtual/jdk and virtual/jre so that they would install as
well.

updated dev-java/antlr and built it successfully.

currently building dev-java/ant-1.7.1-r1
core built and installed correctly.
the remaining packages will take some time:

dev-java/xml-commons-external dev-java/xml-commons-resolver
dev-java/ant-nodeps dev-java/jakarta-regexp dev-java/javacup
dev-java/bcel dev-java/xjavac dev-java/junit dev-java/xalan-serializer
dev-java/ant-apache-resolver dev-java/ant-apache-regexp dev-java/xerces
dev-java/xalan dev-java/ant-junit dev-java/ant-trax

hooray for java on sparc!

RE: [Fwd: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6] [ In reply to ]
And, of course, forgot:

dev-java/ant-owanttask dev-java/asm dev-java/jarjar
dev-java/hamcrest-core dev-java/junit dev-java/java-getopt
dev-java/qdox dev-java/regexp dev-java/ant-trax dev-java/ant-junit

But so far, all good! haven't seen any strange java errors crop up.

and, nice to know that these other packages work with just the
~sparc[64] flag added.

No real hard-core testing, other than just the big ebuild dependancy
chain for ant.