Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Kernel Security + KISS [ In reply to ]

Re: Kernel Security + KISS [ In reply to ]
On Friday 22 February 2008 04:55:17 Casey Link wrote:
> Here are some day to day duties that will be need to get done.This
> isn't exhaustive just the results of a few minutes of brainstorming:
>
> * Stalking the places vulnerabilities are announced (CVE, mailing
> lists, etc) to create the relevant bug.
The Security team is more or less already doing this. We could quite easily
start filing kernel stuff again.

> * Determine which upstream (kernel.org) version has the fix and make
> the whiteboard entry in bugzilla.
> * Determine which sources are affected
> * Nag kernel maintainers to patch their sources
> * Find patches and discussion to link to the kernel maintainers to
> ease their patching (and ideally encourage them to patch faster)
> * As sources are patched update the whiteboard
> * Release glsas of unaffected packages (?)
The GLSA format/DTD per se was deemed unfit for kernel sources. I guess you
could add what is needed to the Resolution section though.

> Some framework and specification needs to be laid, but that is a
> general outline of the process I think. None of those duties require
> programming experience at all. Of course crafting patches to send to
> the kernel maintainers would be another helpful thing to do. Ideally
> this would be made pretty simple with some nifty tools, however
> manpower is going to be required regardless.
>
> There are still the glaring issues of (1) the best way to notify users
> of vulnerabilities, and (2) how to enforce rapid-ish response by
> kernel maintainers. I think the best way to approach (2) is to be
> amicable towards the maintainers. Point them in the right direction,
> send them patches, etc., rather than spamming "OMG! Patch
> foo-sources!" every day. Maybe we could give them candy or something.
I think we should try to get all security supported kernel maintainers to
abide by some timetable laid down in a coming kernel security policy. If
kernel maintainers don't want to do that I guess their sources should go back
to unstable. Before anything is final kernel maintainers and council should
be consulted.

--
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
Gentoo Linux Security Team

Re: Kernel Security + KISS [ In reply to ]
security+unsubscribe@gentoo.org