Mailing List Archive

Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare
>> Basically what I want to do is create a series of VERY tiny VMs that
>> are all independent of each other, which provide one service. For
>> instance, I might put apache on one VM, and tomcat on another, and so
>> on. Obviously, I would want their memory usage to be absolutely
>> minimized, seeing that I would like to run them all on one computer.
>> I would probably provide them 64M-128M of RAM each, for their specific
>> service. Perhaps a little more if really required.

Lots of interest in VMs lately - Is this to increase security (isolating
servers and components in case one is compromised)? Or perhaps you are
isolating components for the purpose of evaluating them?

<snip>

> Nick[1] made a post about minimizing Gentoo a while back.
> But that topic was mainly about the disk usage.
> I suppose you would benefit from a system that uses the -Os flag to

<snip>

> But do you think vmware is fit for such a task?
> vmware is a big strain on resources itself.
> You might want to have a look at xen[2] instead.
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/160899/focus=160903
> [2] http://www.xensource.com/xen/xen/index.html

Presuming that one is seeking greater security, how does xen compare with
vmware in that regard?

Would a server in a VM actually be more secure than a server in a
"hardened" chroot jail?

(though I'd guess that a hardened system would be the best basis for a
server, VM or chroot; and the logical placement of a VM would be within a
chroot jail?).

TIA

Re: Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare [ In reply to ]
Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare [ In reply to ]
Running a chroot jailed service in a chroot jailed VM...cool xD

It's kind of redundant but I don't know if it's worthy.

Re: Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare [ In reply to ]
> Basically what I want to do is create a series of VERY tiny VMs that
> are all independent of each other, which provide one service.  For
> instance, I might put apache on one VM, and tomcat on another, and
> so on.  Obviously, I would want their memory usage to be absolutely
> minimized, seeing that I would like to run them all on one computer.
> I would probably provide them 64M-128M of RAM each, for their
> specific service.  Perhaps a little more if really required.

Take a look at the Gentoo Network Appliance Project. It can easily run in
64MB of RAM for most tasks. You can customize the image to take out
services you don't need. This has the added advantage of letting you
maintain the configurations in a way that makes for easy provisioning of
a new service/VM.

Regards,

- Brian

Re: Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare [ In reply to ]
--On November 3, 2006 12:04:33 PM -0500 7v5w7go9ub0o
<7v5w7go9ub0o@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lots of interest in VMs lately - Is this to increase security (isolating
> servers and components in case one is compromised)? Or perhaps you are
> isolating components for the purpose of evaluating them?

there are additional benefits, mainly for enterprise use, such as being
able to move the virtual server to a new box in case of failure of the
first box. This is much cheaper than maintaining an identically configured
second box. VMWare's high-end (not free) product can do this automatically
if partnered with a SAN. Using SAN technology the second box could even be
off-site, providing a virtually instant disaster recovery plan (just not a
cheap one.)

You could even save the cost of redundant box by using Amazon's Elastic
Compute Cloud as your redundancy. Keep a copy of the image on Amazon S3
then fire up the image if the main one goes down. Might be a bit slower
but that beats being down.

Also snapshot technology is getting pretty cool, where you can take a
snapshot, upgrade a virtual box, and if the upgrade fails just roll back to
the snapshot. Beats a backup/restore cycle by a mile.