Or what do you use to remotely manage a Linux server?

I'm looking for something inexpensive that will give me remote access to
the serial port and hopefully the capability to manually reboot the
machine (e.g. push the reset button).

I've recently seen how GRUB and the Linux console can be directed to a
serial port, and I was quite impressed...

Thanks

-Alex
Re: OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 02 September 2006 18:32, Alex wrote:
> Sorry if this is a little OT, but I thought it might be an appropriate
> question for this audience...
>
> Has anyone had much experience with RS232 (serial) <-> Ethernet
> adapters? Or what do you use to remotely manage a Linux server?
>
> I'm looking for something inexpensive that will give me remote access
> to the serial port and hopefully the capability to manually reboot
> the machine (e.g. push the reset button).
>
> I've recently seen how GRUB and the Linux console can be directed to a
> serial port, and I was quite impressed...

Don't know if I can help you on the "inexpensive" front. I've tried what
you're asking and was never able to get it to work, but network managed
power distribution boxes in the racks work well for literally "pushing
the reset button" and causing a hard reboot when a server is good and
truly locked up. Other than that, ssh usually doesn't fail unless the
server is really really messed up.

Regards,

- Brian
Re: OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes? [ In reply to ]
I've seen this implementation before. At my last job, it was a two fold
solution. A remote power boot device and a serial console. As for
inexpensive, that's a whole other issue. What some people consider
expensive doens't match others.

If you are looking for a virtual reset button, you should only need to
look at the remote power boot devices. Something like this:
http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/Cyclades_PM

There are definately others out there. We picked this one because of
the amp load per circuit and costs.

Serial Consoles are a great thing depending on the application and need.
If you are managing a set of servers that you can't drive to, or
response times are imperative; this can create a suitable solution.
This can also be used for remote monitoring during installs via
tftpboot/kickstart/diskless image selection.

The flipside: This creates additional security considerations. You've
just created an additional access point to your machine/s, and aa access
point to power remotely. A definate consideration to be applied to the
deivce/s you implement.

Mark

Re: OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes? [ In reply to ]
At my work, we use these to talk to embedded hardware, and I find them
to work quite nice. The price however, I don't know. I just draw the
boards and make software.

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/xport.html

They also provide digial-io, which you can hook up to let's say, your
reset button :-)

Stian Skjelstad

Re: OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes? [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag, 3. September 2006 01:32 schrieb mir Alex:
> Has anyone had much experience with RS232 (serial) <-> Ethernet
> adapters? Or what do you use to remotely manage a Linux server?

SSH and SSH. First to connect directly to the Server, second to connect
to the builtin service processor which manages basic system functions
like power, fan speed and a serial console.

These onboard service processors or as an extension card often called
management cards costs ca 200-300 Euro.

Disadvantage is the builtin OS, which often will never be updated.

Example for a management card is peppercons eric remote management card.
Google will help you to find this.

Regards
Oli