Mailing List Archive

rsync password on local portage mirror
Hello list,

I am trying to setup a password on my local rsync portage mirror. This is
what I have done thus far:

On the server:
1. Added "secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.users" and "auth users = portage"
to /etc/rsyncd.conf in the appropriate places.
2. Placed "portage:notmypassword" in /etc/rsyncd.users
3. /etc/init.d/rsyncd restart

On the client:
1. Added RSYNC_OPTIONS="--password-file=/etc/portage/rsync.user"
to /etc/make.conf.
2. Modified SYNC in make.conf to include the user:
SYNC="rsync://portage@host.domain.local/gentoo-portage"
3. echo 'notmypassword' >/etc/portage/rsync.user

Now, I type "emerge --sync" and I get prompted for a password (if I were to
make a guess, it's that the variable "RSYNC_OPTIONS" is not referenced by
portage).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Robert Larson
Re: rsync password on local portage mirror [ In reply to ]
Robert Larson wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to setup a password on my local rsync portage mirror. This is
> what I have done thus far:
>
> On the server:
> 1. Added "secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.users" and "auth users = portage"
> to /etc/rsyncd.conf in the appropriate places.
> 2. Placed "portage:notmypassword" in /etc/rsyncd.users
> 3. /etc/init.d/rsyncd restart
>
> On the client:
> 1. Added RSYNC_OPTIONS="--password-file=/etc/portage/rsync.user"
> to /etc/make.conf.
> 2. Modified SYNC in make.conf to include the user:
> SYNC="rsync://portage@host.domain.local/gentoo-portage"
> 3. echo 'notmypassword' >/etc/portage/rsync.user
>
> Now, I type "emerge --sync" and I get prompted for a password (if I were to
> make a guess, it's that the variable "RSYNC_OPTIONS" is not referenced by
> portage).

RSYNC_OPTIONS is not currently supported in any release version of portage.