(650) 363-6128
http://thesame.net/MYSPACE
http://nsmain.raft.org
Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
What exactly does "give each other a chance" mean?

~RMC

Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
Richard M. Conlan wrote:

> What exactly does "give each other a chance" mean?
>
> ~RMC
>
> J.A. wrote:
>
>> Re: [gentoo-security] Should I change my password?
>> Thank you fellows for your helpful responses. I really enjoyed reading
>> your mail. I am going to save them all inside a mySQL database! I find
>> it very interesting and i think that we should give eachother a
>> chance. What do you say?
>>

>> Yours,
>> Jason
~RMC,

It means to embrace the random I guess. Sorry I do not want to spam or
troll this list or be banned for inapproporiate posts. If you all think
I should reply back to every post with the subject "Should I change my
password" then I could do that but I must warn youthat I have been
moderated before in the past. I take it that this is not a newsgroup so
that means that instead of filters, the politically correct thing to do
would be to the gentoo-security moderator establish a list of banned
gentoo-security users instead of setting up a filter in each persons
email client.

It is very annoying to be kicked off an email list when all you have to
do is change your email and then go through a proxy to resubscribe. So I
guess I would like to know how someone like myself would be unsubscribed
from gentoo-security and for what reason.

I guess what I am saying is that I want to learn about gentoo-security
but do not want to be banned. To learn more about me you can read my
MYSPACE.COM profile pointed to here: http://thesame.net/MYSPACE

Yours,
Jason

--
<A HREF="HTTP://HEBLACK.BIZ">HTTP://HEBLACK.BIZ</A>
Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]

Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 February 2006 02:45, J.A. wrote:
> It means to embrace the random I guess. Sorry I do not want to spam or
> troll this list or be banned for inapproporiate posts. If you all think
> I should reply back to every post with the subject "Should I change my
> password" then I could do that but I must warn youthat I have been
> moderated before in the past. I take it that this is not a newsgroup so
> that means that instead of filters, the politically correct thing to do
> would be to the gentoo-security moderator establish a list of banned
> gentoo-security users instead of setting up a filter in each persons
> email client.
>
> It is very annoying to be kicked off an email list when all you have to
> do is change your email and then go through a proxy to resubscribe. So
> I guess I would like to know how someone like myself would be
> unsubscribed from gentoo-security and for what reason.
>
> I guess what I am saying is that I want to learn about gentoo-security
> but do not want to be banned. To learn more about me you can read my
> MYSPACE.COM profile pointed to here: http://thesame.net/MYSPACE

In general banning users does not happen a lot if at all. What is desired
is some kind of proper behaviour. Only breaking email threads is
certainly not enough. To be banned one would probably have to be trolling
a lot, sending spam, or something the like. Most things certainly warant
a warning first (probably only spamming being an exception).

In short, don't be afraid. It's appreciated if you follow the requests of
other members, but you will not be kicked if you forget. Worst thing
you'll be ignored.

Paul

ps. The idea is that if the thread stumbled upon a different subject, you
change the subject line. If however you want to have a different subject
to which the previous mail is not really related, you start a new thread.

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer
Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
J.A. wrote:

> I guess what I am saying is that I want to learn about gentoo-security
> but do not want to be banned. To learn more about me you can read my
> MYSPACE.COM profile pointed to here: http://thesame.net/MYSPACE

1) If you're really worried about getting banned, do your homework and
read about Netiquette (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette).
People who really follow netiquette are seldom "banned" from lists.

2) Lurk before you leap. If you want to learn, there's an established and
generally accepted way to learn from mailing lists. Before you post, read
the list for a while. Get a feel for the level of the list, for the style,
information, and tone of discussion.

3) Remember that you're not *entitled* to get information, explanations,
participation, or responses when you ask questions. It is a privilege, and
you are asking others for help. Being polite, deferential, and following
the culture of the list (see 2 above) puts you on the best possible
position to get a useful answer without annoying "hundreds, if not
thousands" of readers of the list.

4) As a specific observation, your security questions to date have been
(a) not Gentoo-specific, and (b) extremely basic in nature. There are
probably better sources for general security information than the Gentoo
security mailing list (the book "Computer Security Basics" from O'Reilly &
Associates press is often a nice place to start; some general understanding
can also be built from articles at www.cert.org (there are dozens of good
sites out there for basic security education). It's hard to build
something solid on a shaky foundation.

-Bill
--
William Yang
wyang@gcfn.net
Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
> 2) Lurk before you leap. If you want to learn, there's an established
> and generally accepted way to learn from mailing lists. Before you
> post, read the list for a while. Get a feel for the level of the list,
> for the style, information, and tone of discussion.

Yes but this requires that the list in question actually has traffic ;)

> -Bill

-Alec Warner
Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
William Yang wrote:
[snip]

> 1) If you're really worried about getting banned, do your homework and
> read about Netiquette (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette).
> People who really follow netiquette are seldom "banned" from lists.

So I would like to know if there is a Moderator here.

Yours,
Jason
jason.heblack@yahoo.com.mx
jason.heblack@hotmail.com
thesam00@thesame.net
heblack@ispmonsters.com

Re: Hey guys [ In reply to ]
On Monday 27 February 2006 06:24, J.A. wrote:
> William Yang wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > 1) If you're really worried about getting banned, do your homework
> > and read about Netiquette (see
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette). People who really follow
> > netiquette are seldom "banned" from lists.
>
> So I would like to know if there is a Moderator here.
>
> Yours,
> Jason

No, there isn't. There are however list administrators. Maybe they are not
subscribed to this particular list, but they do respond to requests. In
general we (read gentoo) have not seen the need to invest a lot of
manpower into moderation of our mailing lists. Instead the lists are
subscriber-only. As long as that works, we will probably keep it that
way. For the rest, list members police themselves, by requesting certain
behaviour.

Paul