TIA

--
Miguel Sousa Filipe

Re: tools for detecting linux kernel rootkits? tools to prevent its injection? [ In reply to ]
Miguel Filipe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> what tools are there do detect linux kernel rootkits?
> I only know rkhunter..
>
> Are there tools to prevent its injection, besides removing modules
> funcionality from kernel and denying writes to /dev/kmem and
> /dev/kcore?
>
> TIA

Hi,

another one is chkrootkit. I use rkhunter and chkrootkit, think/hope
thats enough ;)

bye, peek

tools for detecting linux kernel rootkits? tools to prevent its injection? [ In reply to ]
I've now tried both rkhunter and chkrootkit on a known to be infected system.
It seems that a linux kernel rootkit isn't detected by any of those tools.

Are there any IDSs or tools that perform routine checks on system call
table addresses, and other funcion pointer addresses for changes..?

Looking for _known_ rootkits isn't good enough sometimes...

TIA

--
Miguel Sousa Filipe

--
Miguel Sousa Filipe

Re: tools for detecting linux kernel rootkits? tools to prevent its injection? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:59:34PM +0000, Miguel Filipe wrote:
> I've now tried both rkhunter and chkrootkit on a known to be infected system.
> It seems that a linux kernel rootkit isn't detected by any of those tools.
>
> Are there any IDSs or tools that perform routine checks on system call
> table addresses, and other funcion pointer addresses for changes..?
>
> Looking for _known_ rootkits isn't good enough sometimes...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Miguel Sousa Filipe

Haven't tried this aspect of it myself, but Samhain can be configured to
check for rootkits, including syscall modifications.

http://la-samhna.de/samhain/manual/kerneldef.html

Re: tools for detecting linux kernel rootkits? tools to prevent its injection? [ In reply to ]

Re: tools for detecting linux kernel rootkits? tools to prevent its injection? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the info,
samhain is just what I want.

Samhain should have more publicity, it looks that its "the thing"!