--
Dan Margolis
Gentoo Security/Audit
Re: Security Bugs RSS Feed [ In reply to ]
> That said, the script is at http://www.af0.net/~dan/bugz2rdf.php
> (dev.gentoo.org doesn't allow the access needed to run it). If you want
> the source, or want a modification, drop me a line.

That rocks... but I have one small change request ;)

Would it be possible to change the item's title tag to the short
description of the issue? (i.e. move what's in the "description" tag
into the "title" tag, or combine them in both description & title...
so it says something like "47033 - security issues with prelink
tempfile creation in /tmp (critical NEW)", rather than just
"47033"...)

Re: Security Bugs RSS Feed [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:36:44PM -0500, Dan Margolis wrote:
> Also, *please* do not sync against this more than once an hour; I have
> *limited* bandwidth and I don't want to kill Bugzilla in the process. If
> I catch you, I will blacklist you; I don't feel like adding a throttling
> script because I'm a lazy bastard, but I *will*.

How about using rsscache to help keep you bandwidth issues under
control?

http://rsscache.com/

I have no experience with rsscache, I just noticed that cacert.org uses
it for their rss-feed and a quick look on their webpages gives the
impression that it is quite a good service and it is free.

--
Anders
PGPKey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8BFECB41

Re: Security Bugs RSS Feed [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 16:10 -0500, James Hiscock wrote:
> > That said, the script is at http://www.af0.net/~dan/bugz2rdf.php
> > (dev.gentoo.org doesn't allow the access needed to run it). If you want
> > the source, or want a modification, drop me a line.
>
> That rocks... but I have one small change request ;)
>
> Would it be possible to change the item's title tag to the short
> description of the issue? (i.e. move what's in the "description" tag
> into the "title" tag, or combine them in both description & title...
> so it says something like "47033 - security issues with prelink
> tempfile creation in /tmp (critical NEW)", rather than just
> "47033"...)

yes this would be a great help, i've already got it my firefox bookmarks
as a live one so that i can look at it on the toolbar

(originally accidentally sent just to James, resending to list)

Re: Security Bugs RSS Feed [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:15:25AM -0800, Ryan Voots wrote:
> yes this would be a great help, i've already got it my firefox bookmarks
> as a live one so that i can look at it on the toolbar
>
> (originally accidentally sent just to James, resending to list)

OK. As I said to James, I'll try to get on this as soon as I can. I did
it this way because my RSS reader shows a snippet of the body in the
title, so I was like, what the hell. But if people want this, it's a
very minor change on my part.

Note that the code is sorta in-flux right now, because since I posted I
added caching and throttling (i.e. caches of the bug list are updated if
the list is older than 30 minutes, but only on demand, so if you are the
first hit within >30min, there'll be a slight delate, and if you hit
within 30min of your last hit, you'll get a nasty note and no feed), so
some things may work somewhat unreliably. I believe everything to be
working, but if you don't see updates or get excessively throttled, just
drop me a line and I'll fix it.

Thanks.
--
Dan Margolis