Mailing List Archive

yaboot-static is ignoring my yaboot.conf
Hi,

Platform: IBM JS20 Blade Centre

Gentoo Linux PPC64 installed http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc64.xml
64 bit userland.

I want to bootp JS20 blades using a yaboot.chrp sitting on a tftp
server. Bootp and tftp file serving are working, i.e the client
successfully retrieves the yaboot.chrp and yaboot.conf BUT the client
then ignores my yaboot.conf settings and tries to download vmlinux and
root.bin, instead of vmlinux8 and fs.gz as described in my yaboot.conf.

I am using yaboot-static as described in the Gentoo manual. The copy
of yaboot.chrp on the tftp server came from: /usr/lib/yaboot/
yaboot.chrp as described in the Gentoo manual.

My yaboot.conf on the atftp server looks like this:

timeout=6000
init-message="\nWelcome to a network booted Gentoo installer service
node\n\n"
default=test

image=enet:vmlinux8
root=/dev/ram
initrd=enet:fs.gz
append="ramdisk_size=16384 console=ttyS0 console=tty0"
label=test
read-only

The yaboot.conf sits on the atftp server along with the client's
kernel, and read only root filesystem, i.e.:

/tftpboot/etc/01-00-11-25-ca-21-10 -> yaboot.conf
/tftpboot/fs.gz
/tftpboot/ibmpower -> yaboot.chrp
/tftpboot/vmlinux8

When I bootp a blade, I can see that the yaboot.chrp is downloaded
successfully (the dhcp next-server entry to ibmpower works). Also the
yaboot config from /etc/01-00-11-25-ca-21-10 is pulled down to the
client. But looking in the tftp server logs I see that the yaboot.chrp
then tries to download vmlinux and root.bin. My yaboot.conf (above)
references vmlinux8 and fs.gz.

As a test I symlinked vmlinux -> vmlinux8 and root.bin -> fs.gz. The
tftp server log shows that the files are downloaded to the client
(although an issue prevents the client from booting)

My question is this: Why is yaboot.chrp ignoring my yaboot.conf
settings and how can I get this configured correctly from a 64 bit
userland? I am thinking to install another blade with Gentoo PPC64
32bit userland, to see if I can play around with yaboot configuration
but this feels a bit excessive.

Any ideas?

In case you are wondering, the kernel that I bootp is intended to be a
sevice module that installs Gentoo on the blades automatically.

Thank you in advance.

regards

Garry