Jason.

[1]
http://www.daniel.jp/joomla/info/ps3/creating-ps3-toolchains-on-gentoo.html
Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Jason wrote:
> Been beating my head against a wall for a day or so now. I'm trying to
> get ppu/spu crosscompilers on my boxes so that I can use distcc on the
> PS3...
>
> I pulled the toolchains overlay with layman, and I've tried 4 different
> versions of gcc-4.3.0, all of which fail to emerge. I know some folks
> have it running, which (exact) version did you use?

the problem is because crossdev can't mix and match overlays...

you should delete completely sys-devel/binutils from the toolchain overlay

and instruct crossdev to use the latest gcc (from toolchain) and the
latest binutils (from standard portage).

doing this will result in a working toolchain (at least it worked for me
few days ago)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>> Been beating my head against a wall for a day or so now. I'm trying to
>> get ppu/spu crosscompilers on my boxes so that I can use distcc on the
>> PS3...
>>
>> I pulled the toolchains overlay with layman, and I've tried 4 different
>> versions of gcc-4.3.0, all of which fail to emerge. I know some folks
>> have it running, which (exact) version did you use?
>
> the problem is because crossdev can't mix and match overlays...
>
> you should delete completely sys-devel/binutils from the toolchain overlay
>
> and instruct crossdev to use the latest gcc (from toolchain) and the
> latest binutils (from standard portage).

Okay, did that, but crossdev's building of binutils still fails with:

checking host system type... checking target system type... Invalid
configuration `ppu': machine `ppu' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh
/var/tmp/cross/ppu/portage/cross-ppu/binutils-2.17/wor
k/binutils-2.17/opcodes/../config.sub ppu failed
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

So, before I use crossdev, I think I need gcc-4.3.0. Currently, I'm using:

gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)

Which goes back to the original question. Which ebuild (from
toolchains) works for gcc-4.3.0 on amd64 or x86?

thx,

Jason.

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Jason wrote:
> ppu

do not use ppu it is a BAD ALIAS DEPRECATED

use powerpc64 or powerpc ^^

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>> ppu
>
> do not use ppu it is a BAD ALIAS DEPRECATED
>
> use powerpc64 or powerpc ^^

thx! crossdev is having trouble with pulling [latest] and missing
keywords for gcc-stage1... I modded crossdev to add '-*' when it adds
to package.keywords. Then I'll just specify the versions to crossdev.

Lu, if you get a second, could you send me the output of

# eix -C cross-powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu

Or the versions you have working of binutils/gcc/linux-headers/glibc?

right now I'm trying

crossdev --b 2.17 --g 4.3.0_alpha20070105 --k 2.6.20-r2 --l 2.5 powerpc64

because gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406 failed.

thx,

Jason.

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Jason wrote:

> because gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406 failed.

I guess that's because you didn't read how it failed, you have to export
a variable in order to have the ebuild to run, check the logs and you'll
see.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>> because gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406 failed.
>>

> I guess that's because you didn't read how it failed, you have to export
> a variable in order to have the ebuild to run, check the logs and you'll
> see.

:-)

Close. No, I wasn't checking the logs (because I'm shotgunning through
all the ebuilds for gcc-4.3.0 till one works, hopefully). Yes, I was
exporting I_PROMISE_NOT_TO_BE_A_DUMBASS=1....

However, On closer inspection, when I did 'crossdev --g
4.3.0_alphaYYYYMMDD ... powerpc64' crossdev wasn't using the version of
gcc I specified. It was using the latest, which doesn't build
successfully. So now I'm trying to figure out how to specify the
_exact_ ebuild.

Lu, If you could send the version numbers you have working, I'd
appreciate it. That way, once I've figured out how to get crossdev to
behave, I'll know what to tell it.

thx,

Jason.

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Jason wrote:

> Close. No, I wasn't checking the logs (because I'm shotgunning through
> all the ebuilds for gcc-4.3.0 till one works, hopefully). Yes, I was
> exporting I_PROMISE_NOT_TO_BE_A_DUMBASS=1....
>
> However, On closer inspection, when I did 'crossdev --g
> 4.3.0_alphaYYYYMMDD ... powerpc64' crossdev wasn't using the version of
> gcc I specified. It was using the latest, which doesn't build
> successfully. So now I'm trying to figure out how to specify the
> _exact_ ebuild.

Please send me the error log, it's quite strange that it fails.

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Luca Barbato wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>> Close. No, I wasn't checking the logs (because I'm shotgunning through
>> all the ebuilds for gcc-4.3.0 till one works, hopefully). Yes, I was
>> exporting I_PROMISE_NOT_TO_BE_A_DUMBASS=1....
>>
>> However, On closer inspection, when I did 'crossdev --g
>> 4.3.0_alphaYYYYMMDD ... powerpc64' crossdev wasn't using the version of
>> gcc I specified. It was using the latest, which doesn't build
>> successfully. So now I'm trying to figure out how to specify the
>> _exact_ ebuild.
>>

> Please send me the error log, it's quite strange that it fails.

[error log sent offline]

Just an update, I fixed the version thing in crossdev. Somewhere along
the line I (yeah, problem between keyboard and chair) added some kung-fu
to package.{mask,unmask,keywords} to get gcc-4.3.0. This was back
before I was specifying the version to crossdev. Upon review of the
crossdev code, I saw that if I specified the version number, it should
do the mask/unmasking on its own. Sure nough. Undo my hack and the
version specification works.

Well, so far both of these have failed:

# crossdev --b 2.17 --g 4.3.0 --k 2.6.20-r2 --l 2.5 powerpc64

The above pulls in gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406.

# crossdev --b 2.17 --g 4.3.0_alpha20070330 --k 2.6.20-r2 --l 2.5 powerpc64

Back to the grinder.

Jason.

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Jason wrote:
> Luca Barbato wrote:
>> Jason wrote:
>>> Close. No, I wasn't checking the logs (because I'm shotgunning through
>>> all the ebuilds for gcc-4.3.0 till one works, hopefully). Yes, I was
>>> exporting I_PROMISE_NOT_TO_BE_A_DUMBASS=1....
>>>
>>> However, On closer inspection, when I did 'crossdev --g
>>> 4.3.0_alphaYYYYMMDD ... powerpc64' crossdev wasn't using the version of
>>> gcc I specified. It was using the latest, which doesn't build
>>> successfully. So now I'm trying to figure out how to specify the
>>> _exact_ ebuild.
>>>

>> Please send me the error log, it's quite strange that it fails.
>>
> [error log sent offline]
>
> Just an update, I fixed the version thing in crossdev. Somewhere along
> the line I (yeah, problem between keyboard and chair) added some kung-fu
> to package.{mask,unmask,keywords} to get gcc-4.3.0. This was back
> before I was specifying the version to crossdev. Upon review of the
> crossdev code, I saw that if I specified the version number, it should
> do the mask/unmasking on its own. Sure nough. Undo my hack and the
> version specification works.
>
> Well, so far both of these have failed:
>
> # crossdev --b 2.17 --g 4.3.0 --k 2.6.20-r2 --l 2.5 powerpc64
>
> The above pulls in gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406.
>
> # crossdev --b 2.17 --g 4.3.0_alpha20070330 --k 2.6.20-r2 --l 2.5 powerpc64

Note:

/var/tmp/cross/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/portage/cross-powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406/work/gcc-4.3-20070406/libgcc/../libdecnumber/decContext.c:34:38:
error: string.h: No such file or directory

and such... looks like it doesn't find the system headers...

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: PS3 and crossdev [ In reply to ]
Browsing thru the archives, I noticed
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-ppc-dev/msg_03266.xml wich is the
exact problem I'm having (missing string.h with crossdev and
gcc-4.3.0_alpha20070406 for target powerpc64). Any clues on how to fix this?

Martin