removal of that directory tree.

Sorry if this is a well-known issue.

-Jeff
Re: Is PPC support being dropped for Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Rush wrote:
> I've just --synced on my PPC box (Kurobox HG) and now there is no PPC
> profile directory:
>
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/
>
> but the profiles for the other various CPU types are present. Did PPC
> get dropped or become something optional that I need to enable somehow?
>
> I've googled and searched the PPC FAQ and forums but no mention of the
> removal of that directory tree.
>
> Sorry if this is a well-known issue.
>
> -Jef

It's not an issue and support isn't being dropped. Those profiles were
old and deprecated. Use the tool "eselect profile --list" to display the
profiles that are compatible with your machine. As far as I know, the
current "latest" profile is default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 for ppc32.

Hope that helps,
-Joe
Re: Is PPC support being dropped for Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Joseph Jezak wrote:
> Jeff Rush wrote:
>> I've just --synced on my PPC box (Kurobox HG) and now there is no PPC
>> profile directory:
>>
>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/
>>
>> but the profiles for the other various CPU types are present. Did PPC
>> get dropped or become something optional that I need to enable somehow?
>>
>> I've googled and searched the PPC FAQ and forums but no mention of the
>> removal of that directory tree.
>>
>> Sorry if this is a well-known issue.
>>
>> -Jef
>
> It's not an issue and support isn't being dropped. Those profiles were
> old and deprecated. Use the tool "eselect profile --list" to display the
> profiles that are compatible with your machine. As far as I know, the
> current "latest" profile is default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 for ppc32.

Thanks Joe for this clarification. It sets my mind at ease and now I'll
see if this standard profile supports the Kurobox HG or needs the hacks
I used on this website before:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/User:RussK/Create_2007_kurobox_Gentoo

-Jeff
Re: Is PPC support being dropped for Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Rush wrote:
> Joseph Jezak wrote:
>
>> Jeff Rush wrote:
>>
>>> I've just --synced on my PPC box (Kurobox HG) and now there is no PPC
>>> profile directory:
>>>
>>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/
>>>
>>> but the profiles for the other various CPU types are present. Did PPC
>>> get dropped or become something optional that I need to enable somehow?
>>>
>>> I've googled and searched the PPC FAQ and forums but no mention of the
>>> removal of that directory tree.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is a well-known issue.
>>>
>>> -Jef
>>>
>> It's not an issue and support isn't being dropped. Those profiles were
>> old and deprecated. Use the tool "eselect profile --list" to display the
>> profiles that are compatible with your machine. As far as I know, the
>> current "latest" profile is default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 for ppc32.
>>

> Thanks Joe for this clarification. It sets my mind at ease and now I'll
> see if this standard profile supports the Kurobox HG or needs the hacks
> I used on this website before:
>
> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/User:RussK/Create_2007_kurobox_Gentoo
>
> -Jeff

No worries!

If you have specific changes to the documentation that we could make to
help make a Kurobox (or other hardware) installation easier or more
clear, please let me know!

-Joe