Mailing List Archive

Starting on OS X...
<><><><>

Ok, so I started on http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix at the very
top of the page. I downloaded
http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
and then configured and installed portage in ~/gentoo, and then the
page sort of drops off.

Running ~/gentoo/usr/bin/emerge gives:

>>> //Users/nathan/gentoo/tmp doesn't exist, creating it...
>>> //Users/nathan/gentoo/var/tmp doesn't exist, creating it...
>>> //Users/nathan/gentoo/var/lib doesn't exist, creating it...
!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

--- 'profiles/updates' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
emerge: wheel group use is being deprecated. Please update group and passwd to
include the portage user as noted above, and then use group portage.
!!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the /etc/make.profile symlink?
!!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?

<><><><>

Then, further down on the page there's an "OSX quick bootstrap
(experimental)" section. It starts off with "First, find the
bootstrap script and let it install portage."

Elsewhere on the page it says "Bootstrapping is done using a bootstrap
script in ${PORTDIR}/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh." <-- but theres no
bootstrap-prefix.sh anywhere in my ~/gentoo

<><><><>

What next?

~ Nathan
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
On 13-09-2006 15:11:27 -0600, Nathan wrote:
> <><><><>
>
> Ok, so I started on http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix at the very
> top of the page. I downloaded
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
> and then configured and installed portage in ~/gentoo, and then the
> page sort of drops off.
>
> Running ~/gentoo/usr/bin/emerge gives:

> !!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...
>
> --- 'profiles/updates' is empty or not available. Empty portage tree?
> emerge: wheel group use is being deprecated. Please update group and passwd
> include the portage user as noted above, and then use group portage.
> !!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the /etc/make.profile symlink?
> !!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?
>
> <><><><>

Ok, I'd suggest to use the bootstrap script instead: :)

> Then, further down on the page there's an "OSX quick bootstrap
> (experimental)" section. It starts off with "First, find the
> bootstrap script and let it install portage."
>
> Elsewhere on the page it says "Bootstrapping is done using a bootstrap
> script in ${PORTDIR}/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh." <-- but theres no
> bootstrap-prefix.sh anywhere in my ~/gentoo

A bit stupid, but it's in the latest prefix-tree snapshot. Download it,
unpack it and run the script. It downloads a snapshot again and
everything necessary for a first bootstrap.

See if you can get to start the bootstrap script.

Thanks for trying

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
On 9/14/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 13-09-2006 15:11:27 -0600, Nathan wrote:
> > <><><><>
> >
> > Ok, so I started on http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix at the very
> > top of the page. I downloaded
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
> > and then configured and installed portage in ~/gentoo, and then the
> > page sort of drops off.
>

> See if you can get to start the bootstrap script.

The bootstrap script can be found here (perhaps a link on the wiki?)
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-alt/trunk/prefix/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?rev=1318

http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-latest.tar.bz2still
points to 2.1.13

Its running now...

Regards,
Kurt
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
On 9/13/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ok, I'd suggest to use the bootstrap script instead: :)
> [snip]
> A bit stupid, but it's in the latest prefix-tree snapshot. Download it,
> unpack it and run the script. It downloads a snapshot again and
> everything necessary for a first bootstrap.
>
> See if you can get to start the bootstrap script.

I actually found
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/snapshots/portage-alt-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
before you sent this email. I untarred it, but it just looked like
the contents of /usr/portage--I didn't think to search for the
bootstrap script inside of it.

> Thanks for trying

No problem.

~ Nathan
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
On 9/14/06, Kurt Hindenburg <kurt.hindenburg@gmail.com> wrote:
> The bootstrap script can be found here (perhaps a link on the wiki?)
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-alt/trunk/prefix/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?rev=1318

I downloaded that and started it, and then while it was running
redownloaded the latest portage-alt-prefix snapshot and found
script/bootstrap-prefix.sh ... comparing it to the one you linked to,
it looks like the one in the latest snapshot is newer. (doh)

Is the bootstrap script OS X-specific, or is supposed to work on other
architectures as well?

~ Nathan
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
Ok, I stopped the bootstrap that kurt linked to, downloaded the latest
alt snapshot, started that bootstrap, and it failed downloading
gcc-5341 (see below).

What next?

~ Nathan

<><><><>

* Fetching gcc-5341.tar.gz
--11:05:37-- http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/DevToolsNov2005/gcc-5341.tar.gz
=> `gcc-5341.tar.gz'
Resolving darwinsource.opendarwin.org... 204.152.184.197
Connecting to darwinsource.opendarwin.org|204.152.184.197|:80... connected.
11:05:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.

tar (child): /Users/nathan/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/gcc-5341.tar.gz:
Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
Re: Starting on OS X... [ In reply to ]
On 14-09-2006 13:00:17 -0600, Nathan wrote:
> Ok, I stopped the bootstrap that kurt linked to, downloaded the latest
> alt snapshot, started that bootstrap, and it failed downloading
> gcc-5341 (see below).
>
> What next?
>
> ~ Nathan
>
> <><><><>
>
> * Fetching gcc-5341.tar.gz
> --11:05:37--
> http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/DevToolsNov2005/gcc-5341.tar.gz
> => `gcc-5341.tar.gz'
> Resolving darwinsource.opendarwin.org... 204.152.184.197
> Connecting to darwinsource.opendarwin.org|204.152.184.197|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 11:05:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Autsj... I did that yesterday without checking... bad me!
Hmm. ok. The url should be this:
http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/tarballs/other/gcc-5341.tar.gz

I'll fix the bootstrap script now

> tar (child): /Users/nathan/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/gcc-5341.tar.gz:
> Cannot open: No such file or directory
> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> tar: Child returned status 2

Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level